½ step dropped tuning

smithpaul60

Reaction score
I tried dropping the tuning on my uke and I seem to be able to sing along better. (I still can't sing but it sounds better to me) Is this common aor has anyone else felt this way?

Yeah, I've done that before. Not a thing wrong with it! :D

JJ

I recently recorded Friday I'm in Love by the Cure for the Go 90's contest on the boards. To make it sound right I had to tune my ukulele up 1/4 step.

It turns out that Robert Smith accidentally left some effect on when they recorded the song in the studio that resulted in it being recorded between the key of D and D sharp. So a Capo would not do the trick and playing different chords wouldn't either. The only solution was to retune my uke up 1/4 step.

You know what, I'm really happy with the way the song turned out and that's all that matters. It's not like you're going to play some great song and then someone is going to inspect your ukulele to ensure that it is tuned in accordance with international standards.

I sort of think he meant something else. For example, if you want to down a half step from D to C#, you could capo up one fret and play a whole note lower.

Hendrix did it. Victoria Vox does it. I really like the sound of it.

My biggest issue is that my Cherub tuner is not designed for it. And then I have to revise other instrument parts like bass to work or have other players tune down as well. If you're playing solo, it's a lot more workable.

Hendrix did it. Victoria Vox does it. I really like the sound of it.

My biggest issue is that my Cherub tuner is not designed for it. And then I have to revise other instrument parts like bass to work or have other players tune down as well. If you're playing solo, it's a lot more workable.
Good point.

cant you just move it down a step or change the key by using a capo?

This will change the key OK and you can capo up and play the chord shapes for a lower key, etc, but sometimes you want to geep a certain chord shape but change the key so tuning up or dow a half or full step is the better option. This is particularly evident when finger picking. Picking an open C shape sounds very different to picking a B shape so tuning down would be a better option that a straight transposition or capo 2 and using an A shape,for example.

Having said that - if you are only using one uke it canb be a pain re-tuning between songs, so a capo would be a better option in that case.

Okay, sorry I misspoke. Hendrix, Vox and Deach. The triumvirate is complete.

Strings feel too flaccid to me when I do a full step down, but half step is fine. I do it often. And since I don't have a killer singing range, it does help to bring it down a bit.

Strings feel too flaccid to me when I do a full step down, but half step is fine. I do it often. And since I don't have a killer singing range, it does help to bring it down a bit.

Depends on the stringz.

I keep one of my guitars down-tuned a whole step. I often play with my uke 1/2 or 1 whole step down. Depends on the song and my mood.

I've heard Aldrine do it - Ken Middleton, quite a few others.

I also tune to open chords from time to time - although I havent recorded that yet.

Like Deach said, floppy strings are sometimes a problem:p. Other than that - give all sorts of alternate tunings a try.

Top Bottom