Banjo Uke question

kansaman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a suggestion on a good starter banjo uke?
Brand and/or place to purchase one, I've seen some on ebay of course but I don't know if they are any good. thanks for any advise.

Chuck

Last edited:
I agree: Dave's Waverly Street banjo ukes are a good buy. Also check out Mainland - they have some coming in (soon?).

What scale are you looking for?​

I'll agree, too. I recently purchased a Waverly St. banjo uke and enjoy it a lot. It's a bit less expensive than a Tyler Mtn. banjo uke. The Tyler Mtn. has a soprano fretboard, whereas the Waverly St. can be ordered with a soprano, concert, or tenor fretboard.

The one I have - Waverly St. #89 - has a concert fretboard. I find that this size of fretboard works well for me.

I fourth that. Sometimes I think we should call him "Crazy Dave G" since his prices are so insanely low on these things. : )

I have had a chance to play a few of his banjos. Each are custom made in his shop.

I really wasn't sure what scale the uke banjos came in but I'm guessing I would be looking at a Tenor. As far as price range I'm pretty open right now and mainly just checking to what I can get the best bang for buck, at least for my first one. I would say the $200 to $300 range would be good.

I bought a tylr mtn banjo uke two months ago and like it very much. It's a lot like the gold tone except for the head stock. The Tyler Mtn looks like a banjo and has better tuners. After changing the bridge and tightening up the head I think it sounds good. I put La Bella strings on it but might go with Aquila. I am still waiting for an arm rest I ordered a month ago from gold tone. They don't answer emails.

Joe T

Top Bottom