My KoAloha Story

haolejohn

Reaction score
So i have been on Oahu since June 10 and I went to Maui for a few days (It is great having family living on two islands). While here I have been searching for a KoAloha to play. I knew that I only had limited funds but I was finally going to get my hands on one. I had no luck. I went to three music stores on Oahu and there were none available. Once i got to Maui I went to Mele and hung out for about 3 hours. We jammed on just about every uke that Mele sales. I even got to play their double neck tenor. Took the wife to Lahaina (no idea why) and we went to two seperate music stores with no koAlohas then I found lahaina music and they had a soprano in stock. I played it along with every other high end brand there and it by far sounded the best. The next best sounding uke there was a Kanile'a which I have been harsh on. It isn't about the name. It's about the individual uke i am starting to learn. Anyways got back to Oahu and finally made it to KoAloha factory. Here is part of what happened...

I got to see and play and take a picture of the new signature ukulele. I promised that I would not show the picture off. So PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO SEE IT!!!!!!!

I got to see a pineapple sunday but not play it. It did not have any strings or tuners yet. My wife was drooling over it. I had to tell her that it wasn't a real pineapple it was just a uke:)

I got to play many different KoAlohas but no tenors (didn't have any finished) but i did get to play the super concert (which I discovered i like tremendously).

I got to talk story with Papa KoAloha and Momma KoAloha as well as Braddah Ed (the stories are even better in person)

To save some time the people in that shop are some of the greatest people that I have ever met. They live a life that has one purpose and I know that today they gained a lifetime loyalist to their ukulele. I have never been so blessed as i was today and I got a great deal on a concert which ended up being better than the tenor that I was saving for. It was made for me. Now I know the true meaning of Aloha.

Wow, great story!

I have my heart set on a KoAloha concert neck soprano pineapple, one day, one day. :)

and you got to meet the legendary kaneohe til the end..... just kidding. sorry we couldnt talk story, i had to start bending or i wouldnt have finished on schedule.

So i have been on Oahu since June 10 and I went to Maui for a few days (It is great having family living on two islands). While here I have been searching for a KoAloha to play. I knew that I only had limited funds but I was finally going to get my hands on one. I had no luck. I went to three music stores on Oahu and there were none available. Once i got to Maui I went to Mele and hung out for about 3 hours. We jammed on just about every uke that Mele sales. I even got to play their double neck tenor. Took the wife to Lahaina (no idea why) and we went to two seperate music stores with no koAlohas then I found lahaina music and they had a soprano in stock. I played it along with every other high end brand there and it by far sounded the best. The next best sounding uke there was a Kanile'a which I have been harsh on. It isn't about the name. It's about the individual uke i am starting to learn. Anyways got back to Oahu and finally made it to KoAloha factory. Here is part of what happened...

I got to see and play and take a picture of the new signature ukulele. I promised that I would not show the picture off. So PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO SEE IT!!!!!!!

I got to see a pineapple sunday but not play it. It did not have any strings or tuners yet. My wife was drooling over it. I had to tell her that it wasn't a real pineapple it was just a uke:)

I got to play many different KoAlohas but no tenors (didn't have any finished) but i did get to play the super concert (which I discovered i like tremendously).

I got to talk story with Papa KoAloha and Momma KoAloha as well as Braddah Ed (the stories are even better in person)

To save some time the people in that shop are some of the greatest people that I have ever met. They live a life that has one purpose and I know that today they gained a lifetime loyalist to their ukulele. I have never been so blessed as i was today and I got a great deal on a concert which ended up being better than the tenor that I was saving for. It was made for me. Now I know the true meaning of Aloha.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'd certainly like to get there some day. I purchased my KoAloha a few years ago by phone and email. Wonderful people making amazing instruments. It is the pride and joy of my collection. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go get it out of its case and play it right now. :shaka:
Regards,
Ray
picture.php

Great story, I also had the joy of going to the Factory. I toured it with my wife, and scored a very nice "second" Concert Uke. I also saw a few pineapple sundays, and a scepter. I wasn't as fortunate as to see the NEW signature series, but I was there a few months back.

When I started reading your story about being on Oahu, and going to music stores, I thought to myself... "Man, he should really just go to the factory!".

And you did... :) Enjoy your concert!!!!
Koaloha Rox!
Skottoman

and you got to meet the legendary kaneohe til the end..... just kidding. sorry we couldnt talk story, i had to start bending or i wouldnt have finished on schedule.

That was the second purpose of my trip to the factory. I did get to meet you. The picture you took for us turned out great and I could tell you all were busy.

Awesome story! So, what did you pick up for your homies back in the ATL ? hmm... :D

Well I did have some guava Jelly for the cookout but TSA out of Las Vegas confiscated it. I guess now I'll let you guys play my KoAloha and give you guys envy:)

Hey John, I must have missed you. Dustin said you came by, after you left. Too bad we didn't get to meet. Kind of funny. I hosted a tour in the morning, so I thought that was you, when I first talked to Dustin. The only other people I saw were a Filipino family, so I then asked him if you were the Filipino guy. Dustin was all like "Uh, haolejohn?"

What, no coffee? ;)

My fav from the islands is Kauai, but Kona is good, too, when we are talking about whole beans and not some cheap blend with 10 percent Kona content.

My fav from the islands is Kauai, but Kona is good, too, when we are talking about whole beans and not some cheap blend with 10 percent Kona content.

I would feel shame giving someone coffee from Hawaii that was only 10% island coffee, sort of like watered down whiskey. I buy 100% or nothing, but the Kaua'i coffee has been such a great deal not much more in cost than most "diluted" coffees.

Hey John, I must have missed you. Dustin said you came by, after you left. Too bad we didn't get to meet. Kind of funny. I hosted a tour in the morning, so I thought that was you, when I first talked to Dustin. The only other people I saw were a Filipino family, so I then asked him if you were the Filipino guy. Dustin was all like "Uh, haolejohn?"

Lol I asked your dad if you were there and he told me you were gone. I'm definately not filipino:) you guys have something special going on there. I think it is going to be only koalohas for me for now on.

Wife wouldn't let me get coffee because my students all brought me bags of unique coffee beans for end of year gift.

I am drooling too!!!!

Great story John. I am going to Maui in a couple of months and looking to buy a Mele or maybe a Pono. BUT.....now you have me thinking again!!:( Should I try to come up with the xtra $ or not! Decisions, decisions!!
Mahalo:music:

Top Bottom