Hardest Part About Building?

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I'm not a luthier, but I dream of being one someday. In anticipation of this time, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks is the hardest part about building 'ukulele.

Thanks for any replies! :shaka:

Getting started. For the first build, everything can be overwhelming. There's wood selection, milling, assembly, finishing, and setup. All with their own little quirks along the way.

I would suggest starting with a simple kit, to get your feet wet assembling pre-made parts. Then, a more hands on kit that allows you to bend, make the fret board, etc. If you stick with it, a lot of skills will become second nature and you can then start experimenting with thicknesses, bracings, and bling.

Also, don't be discouraged if two ukes built from the same plan come out sounding very different. There are a ton of variables that luthiers need to take into account. From the raw wood, to subtle thickness differences, bracing patterns/thickness, sound hole position and geometry, and setup. A few minor changes can add up to a big difference in sound. The more you build, the better you'll understand the mechanics of what influences what.

For me, to this day, the hardest part is getting started. I like to have all of my pieces prepped and ready to go, but I rarely get the chance to do so. I force myself to start projects, so I don't fall more behind on my build schedule. Unfortunately, I end up generating parts on the fly and it feels like I'm going so slow. I try not to rush, but when the pressure's on, I have to. More often than not, I end up ruining something and having to make it again. You'd think I would have learned by now.

Stopping for a Starbucks while hunting for koa is probably the easiest part for me. Other than that, it's all hard!
A funny thing happens; I've heard it said that the more you build the harder it is. How true. The more you build, the more you demand from yourself. I'm always trying new things, taking each uke to the very edge, being super critical with each step. We all have certain processes that we aren't 100% satisfied with. This means that with every round of ukes I build I constantly challenge myself to refine and tweak the process, making new molds or jigs, always trying to find a better way. There is always an area where you can push yourself to do better. Good enough is not an option.
I can remember a long time ago when I was building ukes for fun and leisure under the shade of a palm tree back on Moloka'i. Building seem so easy back then. The ukes looked and sounded like crap but it sure was fun!

Dealing with unrealistic expectations is the most difficult thing for me. When I start building the intention is always to make the perfect instrument. During the building process, there are always a number of things that don't turn out quite as good as envisioned. Learning what is OK to accept, and what needs to be redone is a major part of the learning process.

Brad

Top Bottom