Slim line instruments

toubisard

Reaction score
Apart from the Bruko ukulele made in Germany has any one else produced a shallow depth instrument with a reasonable sound?

Bruko is tough to beat. The sound that comes out of it... Loud and Bright.

Apart from the Bruko ukulele made in Germany has any one else produced a shallow depth instrument with a reasonable sound?

Good reports on the Kala slimlines. MGM seems to have them most of the time.

I've just bought a Kala Slimline soprano Travel Uke. Don't wish to diss the Bruekos, but they've never appealed to me. The Kala sounds amazingly loud and full toned. It has geared tuners, which - combined with the slim, light body - make it feel a bit top heavy, but the tuners work very well, and I've quickly adjusted to the feel of it.

A very satisfactory purchase. Definitely a keeper.

John Colter (Ukantor)

Thanks everybody.
I have just cut the back of a cheap ukulele and reattached it in a way that the instrument is slim line. It is still in the clamps so I don't know what it will sound like yet. It looks nice and will make a nice ornament or book end or door stop.

Hi Toubisard,

It should work just fine. I turned a cheap painted Mahalo soprano into a slimline, and it sounded better than the original.

John Colter.

Hi Ukanator
Mahalo are the ones to experiment with. Although my bright yellow ukulele will always hang in my shed intact as homage. I used a Harley Benton to narrow down, it does not sound any worse than it did before! I cut 1/2" off all round and used the 1/2" band, that was waste, glued inside the body to remount the back. I have just altered a Stagg US10. I think they are the best sounding cheap ukuleles and once they have been polished up with brasso wading and had the inside label removed and had red wine swilled round inside as a stainer they look really nice and less toy like. You might now have guessed I have cunningly escaped from the holy brothers of the ecstatic flagellation but still have some residual U.A.S. I feel I can control it now.(I get less pocket money)

I've just bought a Kala Slimline soprano Travel Uke. Don't wish to diss the Bruekos, but they've never appealed to me. The Kala sounds amazingly loud and full toned. It has geared tuners, which - combined with the slim, light body - make it feel a bit top heavy, but the tuners work very well, and I've quickly adjusted to the feel of it.

A very satisfactory purchase. Definitely a keeper.

John Colter (Ukantor)

I have just ordered one. Toubisard spoke to me from the other side and said in a ghostly voice, 'Ukanator is right about the narrow one, Ukanator is right'..
So I had to buy one..

MrUketober has a super thin cigar box that sounds really good.

yes i love it ! it is VERY thin and VERY loud and bright ! by far my best sounding uke ! it was made by russ ^^ that guy ! get one !!! i believe he has another box like mine..

i have 2 videos up on my yt with the thin cigar box uke so if you wanna hear it its the 2 newest ones

also amazing playability and amazing price ! get with russ if you want a thin body great sounding uke !

Last edited:
Top Bottom