should i buy a new ukulele?

i love stitch

Reaction score
i have a MK-s...i want to get a bushman jenny concert....
ive only been playing for 3 months...h0w long do ppl usually wait to buy their new ukes? i mean, this is a HUGE step up from my makala..do you think it will motivate me to play better?

and i practice everyday, how can i read tabs quicker? it takes me too much time to play through them...im a beginner trying to play advanced songs, im trying to learn thriller and jakes guitar gently weeps ;)

...this is a HUGE step up from my makala..do you think it will motivate me to play better?
Give in to the dark side. You know you WANT it. Why perambulate around the issue when you can leap head first into the maw of self-indulgence?

OF COURSE it will motivate you to play better. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. You will want to play it more and more because it sounds so damn good. And all that extra playing time is PRACTICE. Practice is what really makes you better, but if you need a new uke to do so, then get one.​

im a beginner trying to play advanced songs
I only got my uke today so am just messing around and gettin' used to it, but I taught myself guitar, and I would advise against trying to learn songs that are advanced when you are a beginner, simply because it gets frustrating. I would suggest learning a simple song and learning it so you can play right through with few mistakes, feel proud of yourself for a bit, then learn something else, perhaps a bit harder. Work your way up to the more advanced stuff... no-one gets there straight away, it always takes time.

I can't really say anything much about whether you should buy a new uke, that's really your choice (and I don't know a whole huge amount about 'em either...)

Give in to the dark side. You know you WANT it. Why perambulate around the issue when you can leap head first into the maw of self-indulgence?

OF COURSE it will motivate you to play better. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. You will want to play it more and more because it sounds so damn good. And all that extra playing time is PRACTICE. Practice is what really makes you better, but if you need a new uke to do so, then get one.​

thanks, i didnt know i can possibly practice anymore:p
i play everyday enough as it is, especially that its summer im just sitting around at home...i should go for it, i only have 100 more dollars to save for that bushman!:shaka:

You should always buy a new uke whenever you can afford it. UAS is inevitable, so just give it a head start. LOL

I only got my uke today so am just messing around and gettin' used to it, but I taught myself guitar, and I would advise against trying to learn songs that are advanced when you are a beginner, simply because it gets frustrating. I would suggest learning a simple song and learning it so you can play right through with few mistakes, feel proud of yourself for a bit, then learn something else, perhaps a bit harder. Work your way up to the more advanced stuff... no-one gets there straight away, it always takes time.

I can't really say anything much about whether you should buy a new uke, that's really your choice (and I don't know a whole huge amount about 'em either...)

true true, i took guitar lessons for 2 years and quit because i got so frustrated learning! once i got to the advance stuff it was too much practice and i wasnt having fun anymore...but it did help tremendously, right when i got my uke i played a bunch of songs because of knowing guitar, plus it was funner because its smaller

You should always buy a new uke whenever you can afford it. UAS is inevitable, so just give it a head start. LOL

lol yea, there are way too many to choose from!
by the end of the year im going to have like 10 ukes in my room, they are addicting :eek:

and i practice everyday, how can i read tabs quicker? it takes me too much time to play through them...im a beginner trying to play advanced songs, im trying to learn thriller and jakes guitar gently weeps ;)

One of my favorite quotes...

"It is faster to make a four-inch mirror and then a six-inch mirror, than to make a six-inch mirror." -- Thompson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers

In other words, if you start simple and work your way up to advanced, you'll get there quicker than if you just jumped right in with the hard stuff.

JJ

P.S. Yes, get a new uke. :D

lol yea, there are way too many to choose from!
by the end of the year im going to have like 10 ukes in my room, they are addicting :eek:
You should check out mainlandukuleles.com and the reviews found on Youtube and this forum. They are beautiful, sound great, have different customizing options at no charge and are a little less than the Bushman's. I have only heard great things about them. I am currently saving for one myself, and the owner couldn't be a better guy.

You should check out mainlandukuleles.com and the reviews found on Youtube and this forum. They are beautiful, sound great, have different customizing options at no charge and are a little less than the Bushman's. I have only heard great things about them. I am currently saving for one myself, and the owner couldn't be a better guy.

everyone on here keeps telling me to go with mainland, but they are really the same as bushmans but with that rope frame.....i dont like the frame on them :cool: but im sure theyre probably the same sound

everyone on here keeps telling me to go with mainland, but they are really the same as bushmans but with that rope frame.....i dont like the frame on them :cool: but im sure theyre probably the same sound

2 rules:

1. Regarding the question, "should I buy a new uke," the answer is always YES.

2. Regarding the question of which one to buy, it is good to listen to all the suggestions offered, but in the end, buy the one YOU want!

Now go forth :)

For what it's worth...

I only had my Lanikai for about 3 weeks before I contracted UAS and bought a Mainland mahogany concert. So according to my calculations, you are way overdue for a new uke. And besides...you deserve it. :D

During my first four months of playing the uke, I bought 4 ukuleles. So, YES, if you want more ukuleles, go for it! Each one sounds different, and it is nice to have different tunings on different ukes.

As far as trying to play something that is too advanced for you: Try and find another song that is easier... that you really would like to play. At the same time, take the easier sections of "Weeps", and try to learn them. Trying to tackle the whole thing at once might be too frustrating at the beginning. But as you learn new songs that are easier, they will prepare you for the more difficult parts of the advanced songs. Eventually, you will be able to do the more difficult parts, and you will know the whole song.

–Lori

I'm so taking Lori's advice! It is definitely daunting to try harder songs...actually, it's just hard for me to pick these strings and make it sound okay.

If a new uke is calling out to you, might as well buy it and be happy! As long as you can afford it, I'd go for it.

I would probably have a serious case of UAS if it weren't for my being broke constantly :)

I'm so taking Lori's advice! It is definitely daunting to try harder songs...actually, it's just hard for me to pick these strings and make it sound okay.

If a new uke is calling out to you, might as well buy it and be happy! As long as you can afford it, I'd go for it.

I would probably have a serious case of UAS if it weren't for my being broke constantly :)

does everyone have UAS, because ive only been playing for 3 months and i sure do! i already have like list of all the ones i want! its sad, my moms going to be pissed if i buy over 3 :eek:

I'm gonna say yes too. For real, I think my UAS is dormant right now, but if I wait a few decades, earn some money, then I bet it'll be full-blown by then.

Buy Mainland Mahogany, be happy, get great service, have enough left over for a hard case. You won't regret it. I haven't.

does everyone have UAS, because ive only been playing for 3 months and i sure do! i already have like list of all the ones i want! its sad, my moms going to be pissed if i buy over 3 :eek:

Tell your mom "It's an investment"

Top Bottom