PDA

View Full Version : should i buy a new ukulele?

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
i have a MK-s...i want to get a bushman jenny concert....
ive only been playing for 3 months...h0w long do ppl usually wait to buy their new ukes? i mean, this is a HUGE step up from my makala..do you think it will motivate me to play better?

and i practice everyday, how can i read tabs quicker? it takes me too much time to play through them...im a beginner trying to play advanced songs, im trying to learn thriller and jakes guitar gently weeps ;)

ichadwick
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
...this is a HUGE step up from my makala..do you think it will motivate me to play better?
Give in to the dark side. You know you WANT it. Why perambulate around the issue when you can leap head first into the maw of self-indulgence?

OF COURSE it will motivate you to play better. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. You will want to play it more and more because it sounds so damn good. And all that extra playing time is PRACTICE. Practice is what really makes you better, but if you need a new uke to do so, then get one.

12imnew
07-07-2009, 12:05 PM
im a beginner trying to play advanced songs
I only got my uke today so am just messing around and gettin' used to it, but I taught myself guitar, and I would advise against trying to learn songs that are advanced when you are a beginner, simply because it gets frustrating. I would suggest learning a simple song and learning it so you can play right through with few mistakes, feel proud of yourself for a bit, then learn something else, perhaps a bit harder. Work your way up to the more advanced stuff... no-one gets there straight away, it always takes time.

I can't really say anything much about whether you should buy a new uke, that's really your choice (and I don't know a whole huge amount about 'em either...)

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Give in to the dark side. You know you WANT it. Why perambulate around the issue when you can leap head first into the maw of self-indulgence?

OF COURSE it will motivate you to play better. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound. You will want to play it more and more because it sounds so damn good. And all that extra playing time is PRACTICE. Practice is what really makes you better, but if you need a new uke to do so, then get one.

thanks, i didnt know i can possibly practice anymore:p
i play everyday enough as it is, especially that its summer im just sitting around at home...i should go for it, i only have 100 more dollars to save for that bushman!:shaka:

Roy Jovero
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
You should always buy a new uke whenever you can afford it. UAS is inevitable, so just give it a head start. LOL

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I only got my uke today so am just messing around and gettin' used to it, but I taught myself guitar, and I would advise against trying to learn songs that are advanced when you are a beginner, simply because it gets frustrating. I would suggest learning a simple song and learning it so you can play right through with few mistakes, feel proud of yourself for a bit, then learn something else, perhaps a bit harder. Work your way up to the more advanced stuff... no-one gets there straight away, it always takes time.

I can't really say anything much about whether you should buy a new uke, that's really your choice (and I don't know a whole huge amount about 'em either...)

true true, i took guitar lessons for 2 years and quit because i got so frustrated learning! once i got to the advance stuff it was too much practice and i wasnt having fun anymore...but it did help tremendously, right when i got my uke i played a bunch of songs because of knowing guitar, plus it was funner because its smaller

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
You should always buy a new uke whenever you can afford it. UAS is inevitable, so just give it a head start. LOL

lol yea, there are way too many to choose from!
by the end of the year im going to have like 10 ukes in my room, they are addicting :eek:

Ukulele JJ
07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
and i practice everyday, how can i read tabs quicker? it takes me too much time to play through them...im a beginner trying to play advanced songs, im trying to learn thriller and jakes guitar gently weeps ;)

One of my favorite quotes...

"It is faster to make a four-inch mirror and then a six-inch mirror, than to make a six-inch mirror." -- Thompson's Rule for First-Time Telescope Makers

In other words, if you start simple and work your way up to advanced, you'll get there quicker than if you just jumped right in with the hard stuff.

JJ

P.S. Yes, get a new uke. :D

NatalieLin6
07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
lol yea, there are way too many to choose from!
by the end of the year im going to have like 10 ukes in my room, they are addicting :eek:
You should check out mainlandukuleles.com and the reviews found on Youtube and this forum. They are beautiful, sound great, have different customizing options at no charge and are a little less than the Bushman's. I have only heard great things about them. I am currently saving for one myself, and the owner couldn't be a better guy.

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
You should check out mainlandukuleles.com and the reviews found on Youtube and this forum. They are beautiful, sound great, have different customizing options at no charge and are a little less than the Bushman's. I have only heard great things about them. I am currently saving for one myself, and the owner couldn't be a better guy.

everyone on here keeps telling me to go with mainland, but they are really the same as bushmans but with that rope frame.....i dont like the frame on them :cool: but im sure theyre probably the same sound

RON<>VA
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM
everyone on here keeps telling me to go with mainland, but they are really the same as bushmans but with that rope frame.....i dont like the frame on them :cool: but im sure theyre probably the same sound

2 rules:

1. Regarding the question, "should I buy a new uke," the answer is always YES.

2. Regarding the question of which one to buy, it is good to listen to all the suggestions offered, but in the end, buy the one YOU want!

Now go forth :)

KC8AFW
07-07-2009, 02:18 PM
For what it's worth...

I only had my Lanikai for about 3 weeks before I contracted UAS and bought a Mainland mahogany concert. So according to my calculations, you are way overdue for a new uke. And besides...you deserve it. :D

NatalieLin6
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I understand, it seems that people either do or don't like Mainlands for that reason. I personally love the rope binding, but to each his own. Happy ukulele hunting!

Lori
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
During my first four months of playing the uke, I bought 4 ukuleles. So, YES, if you want more ukuleles, go for it! Each one sounds different, and it is nice to have different tunings on different ukes.

As far as trying to play something that is too advanced for you: Try and find another song that is easier... that you really would like to play. At the same time, take the easier sections of "Weeps", and try to learn them. Trying to tackle the whole thing at once might be too frustrating at the beginning. But as you learn new songs that are easier, they will prepare you for the more difficult parts of the advanced songs. Eventually, you will be able to do the more difficult parts, and you will know the whole song.

–Lori

nacho
07-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm so taking Lori's advice! It is definitely daunting to try harder songs...actually, it's just hard for me to pick these strings and make it sound okay.

If a new uke is calling out to you, might as well buy it and be happy! As long as you can afford it, I'd go for it.

I would probably have a serious case of UAS if it weren't for my being broke constantly :)

i love stitch
07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm so taking Lori's advice! It is definitely daunting to try harder songs...actually, it's just hard for me to pick these strings and make it sound okay.

If a new uke is calling out to you, might as well buy it and be happy! As long as you can afford it, I'd go for it.

I would probably have a serious case of UAS if it weren't for my being broke constantly :)

does everyone have UAS, because ive only been playing for 3 months and i sure do! i already have like list of all the ones i want! its sad, my moms going to be pissed if i buy over 3 :eek:

KC8AFW
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
does everyone have UAS

uh...yes:o

nacho
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm gonna say yes too. For real, I think my UAS is dormant right now, but if I wait a few decades, earn some money, then I bet it'll be full-blown by then.

Ahnko Honu
07-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Buy Mainland Mahogany, be happy, get great service, have enough left over for a hard case. You won't regret it. I haven't.

hoosierhiver
07-08-2009, 03:06 AM
does everyone have UAS, because ive only been playing for 3 months and i sure do! i already have like list of all the ones i want! its sad, my moms going to be pissed if i buy over 3 :eek:

Tell your mom "It's an investment"

CoLmes
07-08-2009, 03:49 AM
GET IT

That's what I use in all my videos. It's a really nice Uke. Feels great, nice size, and it's freaking pretty.

The sound is amazing, I really love mine.

fleadermaus
07-08-2009, 04:45 AM

You could also look at an Ohana. They are basically the same as Bushman and Mainland. They don't have a rope binding and are cheaper than Bushman.

RevWill
07-08-2009, 04:53 AM
If the answer you seek is anything other than, "Yes, definitely!" then you've come to the wrong place.

To answer your question: Yes, definitely!

Lori
07-08-2009, 06:17 AM

Ukulele playing and collecting is a very wholesome and enriching activity. It should be encouraged. There are plenty of other interests/ activities she would find less desirable.

If you really don't like the rope binding, or any other detail on a uke, get another one. Part of the joy is the look of the instrument. You will be happier if you hold out for that perfect combination of sound and appearance and playability.

You might find, over time, that your tastes might change... and you might start to like the rope binding detail. I know when I first saw it, I couldn't think of anything except "mini-cowboy guitar". But, now that I know a little more about ukulele design history, I am starting to like it more.

–Lori

i love stitch
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Ukulele playing and collecting is a very wholesome and enriching activity. It should be encouraged. There are plenty of other interests/ activities she would find less desirable.

If you really don't like the rope binding, or any other detail on a uke, get another one. Part of the joy is the look of the instrument. You will be happier if you hold out for that perfect combination of sound and appearance and playability.

You might find, over time, that your tastes might change... and you might start to like the rope binding detail. I know when I first saw it, I couldn't think of anything except "mini-cowboy guitar". But, now that I know a little more about ukulele design history, I am starting to like it more.

–Lori

lol thats how i see it, a cow boy type design :p

BBcakes
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM

–Lori

LoL I used to think the same (cowboy style), but the Mainlands I've seen on here are just so glossy and beautiful... how could anyone resist!:p I also didn't understand why everyone was raving about fleas/flukes because I thought those were ugly! But you know what... they are really starting to grow on me and I'm considering purchasing one in the near future! A few stickers on them to customize and voila! :D Besides, I haven't really heard anything bad about them and they look much different than most other ukes.
Kinda funky and unique. :)

Ukulele JJ
07-08-2009, 02:14 PM
But, now that I know a little more about ukulele design history, I am starting to like it more.

Oooh... please continue! What was it about ukulele design history that made you re-evaluate the Mainlands?

Because I hear so much raving about them that I really want to like them. But they're still just too "Woody's Round-up (http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/18/A70-9483)" for me. :(

JJ

hoosierhiver
07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
You guys are crackin' me up!
I had one guy tell me that until he saw one, he thought they might be a little too Nascar!:eek:
I think they come across a differently when you see one.

russ_buss
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I had one guy tell me that until he saw one, he thought they might be a little too Nascar!:eek:

wait, but that's a good thing right?:D

PoisonDart
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
rope binding or not, "blemish" on it or not, the mainland I got at UWC is my favorite ukulele and I haven't played any of my other ukes since I got it.

it's sound is phenomenal.

Thanks Hiver :)

Lori
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Oooh... please continue! What was it about ukulele design history that made you re-evaluate the Mainlands?

Because I hear so much raving about them that I really want to like them. But they're still just too "Woody's Round-up (http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/18/A70-9483)" for me. :(

JJ

Some of the real old-time ukuleles had that detail. Here's a reproduction of a Leonardo Nunes uke design from the late 1800's. So maybe we should think Hawaiian cowboy.
–Lori

hoosierhiver
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm glad you see it Lori,
So many of the old time ukes had a great style to them. I felt alot of the current ukes on the market had lost a little of that. :shaka:

Lori
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Here's a couple more examples: from Manuel Nunes (detail from Jim Beloff's The Ukulele A Visual History) and a DaSilva replica "Jose do Espitito Santo". Once I saw these truly vintage ukuleles, and pictured them as some of the earliest designs, I lost some of that "old western" cowboy vibe. Now when I see the rope binding - I see that it was something that was indeed an authentic design in Hawaiian uke history.

– Lori

i love stitch
07-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Here's a couple more examples: from Manuel Nunes (detail from Jim Beloff's The Ukulele A Visual History) and a DaSilva replica "Jose do Espitito Santo". Once I saw these truly vintage ukuleles, and pictured them as some of the earliest designs, I lost some of that "old western" cowboy vibe. Now when I see the rope binding - I see that it was something that was indeed an authentic design in Hawaiian uke history.

– Lori

lol i still see cowboy in them, maybe one day i will want one, but for now i like the plain glossy ukes.....ive been trying to find some ukes with hawaiian flowers on them, but all im finding are those $30 toy ukes
-an old fluke had a really nice red hawaiian flower on it, but they stopped selling them a few years ago =/
---i have major UAS, ive only been playing for a few months and i already have a list of ukes i want :eek:
what will i do? im addicted!!!!:bowdown:

Lori
07-09-2009, 08:14 AM
lol i still see cowboy in them, maybe one day i will want one, but for now i like the plain glossy ukes.....ive been trying to find some ukes with hawaiian flowers on them, but all im finding are those $30 toy ukes
-an old fluke had a really nice red hawaiian flower on it, but they stopped selling them a few years ago =/
---i have major UAS, ive only been playing for a few months and i already have a list of ukes i want :eek:
what will i do? im addicted!!!!:bowdown:

Hey, it doesn't hurt to make a wish list! Just make sure you are playing as much as you are shopping/ researching. I am trying to memorize enough songs so that when I get to a nice uke store, I will be able to give them a good test for sound, playability, and intonation. So, I am learning a good strumming song, and a picking song that goes fairly high on the neck. Also, learning low G and high G songs (sometimes the high end ukes are strung in low G).
I think this is a fun addiction. Just try and stay within your budget, and all is well!

–Lori

NukeDOC
07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
i dont even have to read your post. going off the title alone, the answer is YES. nuffsed.

BBcakes
07-09-2009, 12:44 PM
an old fluke had a really nice red hawaiian flower on it, but they stopped selling them a few years ago =/

The only one I've been able to find with flowers is this Island Laser Fluke...

http://www.tikiking.com/laser_fluke_info1.html

i love stitch
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
The only one I've been able to find with flowers is this Island Laser Fluke...

http://www.tikiking.com/laser_fluke_info1.html

ahh:smileybounce: thats the one i love!!!! i thought they stopped selling them? i LOVE that uke but i already decided on getting my bushman, i cant resist;)

BBcakes
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, at least when UAS kicks in you'll have one in mind! :D One to add to your wish list.

CoffeeMate
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
ummm yeah you should. :music:

i love stitch
07-09-2009, 05:27 PM

"Woody's Round-up (http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/18/A70-9483)" for me. :(

JJ

hi, i see you the most in the forums so i thought id ask you...
have you heard of a uluru ukulele?
i cant seem to find one online and ive never seen one, its the same price as a bushman
wade johnson on youtube said he would sell me one and sign it, is it worth it? or should i stick with the bushman im about to buy?

bbycrts
07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
should i buy a new ukulele?

Um...yes. Next question?

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Um...yes. Next question?

should i get a bushman or a fluke?

KC8AFW
07-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Get both. :D Personally...I would get the Bushman. But, that is purely for asthetics. They are both wonderful instruments and you can't go wrong with either one. Get whichever one calls to you. :love:

russ_buss
07-10-2009, 05:52 AM
should i get a bushman or a fluke?

i thought you already decided on the bushman. just buy it already!

UKISOCIETY
07-10-2009, 06:00 AM

I agree. When I don't have money to spend of ukes of my own, i have to live vicariously thru the UAS of others. Order it!!:shaka:

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 06:15 AM

i knowww!!!
this UAS is crazy man! i cant make up my mind, everytime im about to order one, my mind switches to another, ill just order the bushman, the checkout page has been sitting at the bottom of my screen lol...
.but when i have more moolaa, its going towards my next uke

...i already have a whole wall to start my collection:p
i think im going to get a job just to keep buying these :D

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I agree. When I don't have money to spend of ukes of my own, i have to live vicariously thru the UAS of others. Order it!!:shaka:

i know i know, but there is a fluke with starts on it signed by jake shimabukuro, almost made me change my mind :uhoh:

misterdub
07-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Not that this is really an argument you could use to sway a parent but...

As a teenager I spent my money on far less worthy things and spent my summer days engaging in far less wholesome activities than playing the ukulele. :D It could be far, far worse. But, "at least I'm not spending my money on six packs and cigarettes" isn't an argument any parent would want to hear. :biglaugh:

And as to your original question... go for it! Did you buy the Bushman yet or still waiting?

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Not that this is really an argument you could use to sway a parent but...

As a teenager I spent my money on far less worthy things and spent my summer days engaging in far less wholesome activities than playing the ukulele. :D It could be far, far worse. But, "at least I'm not spending my money on six packs and cigarettes" isn't an argument any parent would want to hear. :biglaugh:

And as to your original question... go for it! Did you buy the Bushman yet or still waiting?

oh i know trust me, thats so true though...im a teen, & i never drank or smoke or partied etc...
my mom is proud of me for that, so maybe ill take advantage of it...i take part in some great activities that keep me busy and out of trouble
--like my ukulele, running on track, and photography :D
but yeah, i finally ordered it like an hour ago! im soooo freakin excited words cant describe lol

-and right after i ordered it, i already emailed the dude from fluke to see if i can get a custom lol, i have a major addiction starting :rolleyes:

Lori
07-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Congratulations on ordering your new ukulele! And the custom Fluke will be a winner also! You have some pretty decent hobbies, so if your Mom gets a little upset with the uke collection, she will get over it.

At art school, I had a teacher who liked to tell this story:
He was designing a new machine for a company that was very conservative. He wanted to make the color of the new design a nice blue (all their other machines were grey). He knew they would reject that idea if he presented it. So he suggested lime green. They were outraged with the idea and rejected it immediately. Still in shock over the lime green, he then presented the blue color, and they said "That's better" breathing a sigh of relief. They ended up going with the blue.

So, maybe suggest a new, less desirable pursuit (from a Mom's viewpoint), like rock climbing, or motorcycles, or sky diving. All of the sudden, ukuleles sound much better.

–Lori

JT_Ukes
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
ive only been playing for 3 months...h0w long do ppl usually wait to buy their new ukes? i mean, this is a HUGE step up from my makala..do you think it will motivate me to play better?

Is that even a valid question?

Isn't the correct question "When can I buy a New Ukulele?"

JT_Ukes
07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Is that even a valid question?

Isn't the correct question "When can I buy a New Ukulele?"

Or Which Ukulele should I buy now?

JT_Ukes
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Or Which Ukulele should I buy now?

Or.."When will that Ukulele I ordered get here?"

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Congratulations on ordering your new ukulele! And the custom Fluke will be a winner also! You have some pretty decent hobbies, so if your Mom gets a little upset with the uke collection, she will get over it.

At art school, I had a teacher who liked to tell this story:
He was designing a new machine for a company that was very conservative. He wanted to make the color of the new design a nice blue (all their other machines were grey). He knew they would reject that idea if he presented it. So he suggested lime green. They were outraged with the idea and rejected it immediately. Still in shock over the lime green, he then presented the blue color, and they said "That's better" breathing a sigh of relief. They ended up going with the blue.

So, maybe suggest a new, less desirable pursuit (from a Mom's viewpoint), like rock climbing, or motorcycles, or sky diving. All of the sudden, ukuleles sound much better.

–Lori
hah, lol great idea...
i actually just sold my bike that i never use to pay for that custom fluke i requested...i hope the dude answers back soon:o

BBcakes
07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
hah, lol great idea...
i actually just sold my bike that i never use to pay for that custom fluke i requested...i hope the dude answers back soon:o

Where can you request a custom fluke?

i love stitch
07-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Where can you request a custom fluke?

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/
you just call or email, and they can print or decal designs that you like, they dont always do it though:cool:

ukulele2544
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
reading tabs take a while just practice.

KC8AFW
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
So...let me get this straight. You ordered the Bushman Jenny, and you are getting a custom Fluke? You're out of control. I've never been so proud of you.:D

NatalieLin6
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I wish I had enough money to buy all the ukuleles I want. I am saving for a Mainland right now. I am hoping to have enough to buy it as a birthday present to myself on the 6th of next month. Then it will definitely be a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!

Flea Circus
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Uluru ukes are handmade in Vietnam. These are very well made and the fit and finish is outstanding. On the other hand - I wouldn't pay extra for anyone to sigh the uke.:smileybounce:

i love stitch
07-29-2009, 05:46 AM
finally got in touch with bushman.....the jenny concert i ordered is going to be another 2 or 3 weeks wait! they don't have anymore in stock...
but they said i can have a tenor for the same price instead because of the long wait, i said i would stick with the concert, did i make the wrong decision?
i don't know much about tenors, i've only played soprano.:anyone:

SailorQwest
07-29-2009, 06:51 AM
My Bushman Jenny Tenor is the nicest sounding ukulele I've ever played, including a couple of the K brands. It has a fuller sound than my wife's Jenny Concert but it also has more space between frets. If your hand could handle a tenor I would definitely go for it!

i love stitch
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
My Bushman Jenny Tenor is the nicest sounding ukulele I've ever played, including a couple of the K brands. It has a fuller sound than my wife's Jenny Concert but it also has more space between frets. If your hand could handle a tenor I would definitely go for it!

i think im going to stick with what i ordered, i might regret it if i change my mind :p
but thankya

flyingace
07-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm still waiting to buy my Bushman Jenny Tenor Cutaway. I've been playing guitar for 27+ years and Ukulele for almost a year now. I've owned two ukuleles, both Oscar Schmidt. My first was a laminated spruce concert job that was a good start for cheap, my second was a solid mahogany concert that sounds great but I need more room on the fretboard for fingerings.

If I have the $$ I'd be buying either a Kamaka, G-String, etc. but the top end I can afford after just getting married and still paying for that ring is the Big Island Deluxe Honu Tenor Cutaway. I love the Honu look and have heard good things about it, so it might be my dream uke for now until I can afford hawaii hand built.

Which puts me right back to the bushman/mainland/ohana models being good solid wood for cheap!

i love stitch
08-02-2009, 06:35 PM
lol i love how this thread is the one with the most views of mine...
i cant believe i even asked it, when i first started playing i didnt know what UAS was...
but now im feeling it, i already bought one expensive uke & have another one to come :worship::love:

i love stitch
09-04-2009, 04:55 AM
i think im going to stick with what i ordered, i might regret it if i change my mind :p
but thankya

i ended up canceling my bushman order...i ordered it a few months ago and it was taking way too long, school already started and its not here!
so i'm using the money i got back for my custom fluke (i'm sure i'll like it better anyway) =p
sad to cancel it though =/

molokinirum
09-04-2009, 08:20 AM

WAIT???? You're supposed to wait???:confused:
Give in already you now have UAS!!!;)