PDA

View Full Version : Advice about the Stagg 60

new2ukes
07-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Hi all. I'm about to buy my first ukulele. I'm willing to spend about 40, and, from my research online, it seems that I should be able to get an instrument that has a solid wood top (cedar / mahogany) and geared pegs for that price. I'm looking at the Stagg 60, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Greeno
07-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I guess this means no-one can advise!

There wasn't much choice in ukes where I am. One shop had a Stagg US10 (20), which I think is bottom of their range. It was OK; half-decent satin finish, friction tuners. I ended up just buying a Mahalo for around the same price (18) - mainly because of geared tuners and the "Nubone" saddle (who knows whether that really make much of a difference!). I couldn't play the ukulele at the time so wasn't able to play them in the shop and wasn't really able to judge the sound quality. Now I would definitely want to try before buying and would hesitate to buy something mail-order.

I have admired the Stagg "Viaggio" travel guitar - it had a beautiful finish and good sound (for a travel guitar) at a very reasonable price. Stagg seem to make cheap, useable instruments so I suspect, for the money, that the US60 will be OK. It depends on how serious you are about playing and whether you're likely to be troubled by uke snobbery.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

12imnew
07-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Sorry, I'm not too much help either, but I just bought this: http://www.wmcmusic.co.uk/ukulele/kala-makala-concert-ukulele-mk-c.html

as my first uke plus £5ish P&P and then £6ish on new strings, total just under £50. I don't know much about ukes, but I intend changing the strings to Aquila to get better sound quality, but for £40 (the uke itself) I am happy with what I got. Also, I ordered it from that company on Monday morning and recieved it on Tuesday, which I was very pleased with. I don't know anything about Stagg, though, sorry.

dberlin
07-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I have the Soprano Stagg 60 and I'm a beginner, too.
I was intending to get a cheaper one as I first just wanted to test out things.
At the german Ukulele forums the Stagg60 was highly recommended so I bought it by a dealer at the forum who also set it up properly.

As I didn't know anything about Ukuleles I felt better when someone experienced looks at and sets it up before handing it out.:o

I recommend to buy new strings along with it. The equipped black GHS strings look great but are rather low in volume.

~Dan
PS: the Makala Sopranos have a good reputation, too.

buddhuu
07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
We have had a couple of Staggs, a US80 and a UC80. Those are the top of the range as far as I know, and I'd rate them as ok to good, not great. It's finish details that let Stagg down most - poorly cut nut, inaccurate bridge positioning and intonation.

I'd say don't buy without trying. I had to do quite a bit of work on the concert I had before the intonation became acceptable. Staggs can be fine, but quality control is patchy.

Edit to add: Aquila strings worked well for me on the solid mahogany Staggs. Plenty of volume.

Makalas are very good for low price laminate instruments, but a few quid more will score you a basic proper Kala.

new2ukes
07-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I've taken your good advice and...I settled on a Kala Makala (MK-S), from the Westside Music Centre. Good service from this company - and fast delivery.

Now, I'll get back to my lovely little uke - hoping to play a couple of chords by lunchtime!!

buddhuu
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Congratulations! :D :rock:

Makalas are a bargain. I have one at my office and another behind this sofa I'm sitting on!

If you haven't already got a set of Aquila Nylgut strings on it, I would totally get some next time you need a string change. They really make the most of a laminate uke's potential.

Have fun (we know you will!).
:shaka: