PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new uke: Baritone or 8 String?

ahreeka
07-08-2009, 06:24 AM
I have high G Soprano and Makala MK-C Concert and a Low G Lanikai CK-TEQ. I love my Tenor for some picking and of course strumming, and now I'd go to my Concert usually if it's straight up picking.

I've had an 8 String on my mind for awhile but lately a Baritone came out of nowhere. I guess the question I have for the Baritone is why people buy it for? because it's closer to a guitar? they're able to put up with the new fingerings just for strumming? better picking? If I were to get one it would be for picking since there's nothing new to learn (right?). But should I spend money just for that?

And I considered an 8 String because, first off it's something different and I hear it's ideal for strumming. But I've never played with one. Though I love my Tenor for strumming, I don't know how it is compared to the 8 String.

NukeDOC
07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
just personal preference, i would go with the 8 string. it will feel and sound different but you dont have to adapt to it much.

the baritone would require a little more getting used to. the tone ratio is the same as your low G, but instead will be a low D (as in DGBE tuning like the first four strings of a guitar). the fret spacing is wider. the fretboard is wider. depending on how used to ukulele you are, you will constantly be transposing chords in your head (unless you are also a guitar player and you can easily switch between the two instruments).

ive owned both baritone and 6 string ukulele, and i preferred the 6 over the bari any day. one more personal opinion of mine is that from soprano to tenor, the instrument still sounds very ukulele. once you go bari, it just doesnt sound like ukulele anymore. starts to sound more like a (dare i say) small nylon string guitar with no bass strings. just my opinion though.

UKISOCIETY
07-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Both. Eventually.

Seriously, you'll love playing with both. So with that in mind, just get one!:)

KyKo
07-08-2009, 08:56 AM
How about an 8 string baritone? Booyaaaaaa

Dirka
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
That's pretty ridiculous, why would you get one uke if you can buy two? :D

ahreeka
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys haha. I'm leaning towards the 8 String.

But can't you play GCEA chords on a Baritone it's just gonna sound like a much lower than my low G Tenor? Lol.