my trip to the music store

Dirka

Reaction score
my trips to the music store

I got a call today, it was the guy from Zoundhouse. He told me my new uke had just come in. I jumped on my bike and rushed over there. They unboxed it for me. First I was surprised how huge that thing was (Fender Hau'oli Tenor). I kinda started having second thoughts, because I did not think I'd be comfortable with the size. For crying out lout, it didn't even fit in my biggest messenger bag without the head poking out.

Back home I unpacked it, and the first thing I noticed was that I really liked how very light the headstock was. I took off the crappy GHS strings and put on some Aquila concerts (I had those lying around). In the process of restringing I also noticed that having all four tuners pointing up makes for a super convenient tuning. The tuners themselves look and feel very high quality.

I prestretched the strings a little, and then I started playing around on it. At first the bigger fretboard was a little awkward, but that went away fairly quick. The sound is nice and mellow. I like how the uke's voice is much more complex than that of the Makala. Weirdly enough the latter is way louder. Might have to do something with the concert strings. I'll change them when they're worn out.

All in all I'm a very happy uker. Just strumming basic chords on the new uke (still needs a name) makes me all tingly inside. More space on the fretboard is also better for my big hands. Because I'm clumsy I already put some little scratches on the finish, so I guess it's good I didn't get a solid right away. I'll post some pictures and maybe a vid later, for now I've got a presentation to prepare (which I probably won't finish in time because I'll be playing the uke).

Peace,
Dirka. :shaka:

PS: I also played an all solid Ortega Concert at the shop and I didn't like it at all. It sounded very thin and weak. Coulda been a case of crappy strings tho.

Last edited:
Congrats! When you have time, post a picture. Enjoy!

COngrats!
Also looking forward to see pics!

First pic:

Maybe I'll make more when the sun is out. I'm just so damn stressed. :(

I really like the look of those Fender ukes. It looks good on ya!

Thanks man!

What's troubling me a little bit is that there's a ghost buzz somewhere in the instrument. I'm pretty sure it's not the strings. It sounds more like a resonance thing in the instrument itself, where the neck connects to the body. It's most pronounced when I'm strumming the C-chord. Not that the buzz is very loud, but it's driving me a little bit crazy. I wonder if I should take the uke back to the shop?

Crud. There's a crack between the back and the binding, right where the neck connects. Back to the store it is. And of course the receipt is not where I put it.

Just great. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
Definitely take it back. When you pay that much for something you should be 100% satisfied.

EDIT: Ah, that crack sucks. Good job finding it, and good decision to take it back. Most of the time music stores keep pretty good records so you may not need the reciept.

Just came back from Zoundhouse. Basically they told me to come back on monday, when their guitar guy would be in. The guy I talked to gave me crap like "that's not a real crack" and "maybe it's just the binding coming off" (wtf?). Unfortunately I could not demonstrate the buzz because I had taken my strings off, in case they'd ship it back to the manufacturer. Needless to say I'm not very impressed with their customer service, but I'll go there on monday to see what the guitar guy says.

Currently I have restrung the uke with the GHS that came with it, and man do they sound bad. I guess it's back to the Makala for the next weeks.

The guy I talked to gave me crap like "that's not a real crack" and "maybe it's just the binding coming off" (wtf?).

SO WHAT? Even if, it's still a defect on a brand new instrument, what an A-Whole. Let them know you're posting their response to this situation in an international music forum, may give them incentive to treat you fairly.

If they give you any more trouble, I'd call Fender directly. In fact, you might call 'em now so they can pressure the shop to honor the warranty.

If they give you any more trouble, I'd call Fender directly. In fact, you might call 'em now so they can pressure the shop to honor the warranty.

+1 on that. If they want full price you should get full quality. I hate to be a PITA but if they don't come up with a new Uke, this situation warrants it.

Haha, easy there brothers :D

I'll go there on monday and see what they have to say. I hope there won't be a problem. I'm not big on pressuring people, but I don't take no crap from anyone.

Ok, big surprise: the guy last week didn't know what he was talking about. Today I talked to the guy who sold me the uke in the first place, and he was very cooperative. He told me he'd ship it today, but he also warned me that Fender doesn't have the fastest turnaround times.

:uhoh:

dang only thing i can say hahah
btw nice uke prolly think bout getting one of those someday :shaka:

Top Bottom