Bad luck, UAS and a 6 string...

ukerazy

Reaction score
My first Ukulele was a Kala mango tenor and i loved it, i played it all day for the few short days i had it. After those few days i noticed some quality issues with it, some fretboard damage, tuners not fixed on the headstock straight and quite bad string buzzes. I returned to the shop where i bought it and got a replacement only to find the exact same faults... Bad luck?
So... I got a tenor mahogany Eleuke and a Roland micro cube, i love it but... It doesn't inspire me the way the acoustic did i don't have the drive to pick it up and play, it just doesn't sing to me.
So... i saved up my pennys enough to buy a Pono mango tenor and the online store i tried to buy from turns out to be a bit of a dud... bad luck?
Now here i am with UAS (its all your faults for posting pictures of Ukuleles that my brain tells me i need to have to survive) quite a bit of money and this week i plan to order my Pono mango tenor... Woop!
I also am planning on ordering (yes at the same time lol) a Kala KA-6 so thats where the 6 string part comes in... I don't wanna spend too much as im not sure ill get along with it but i neeeeeeed one! Anyone got one/played one/hated one?

Thanks for reading, im looking forward to your opinions and advice.

I'm sorry to hear about all your bad luck with the ukes. I really hope everything works out for you!

Hang in there :shaka:

Sorry to hear about your Kala Mango problem. My Kala Mango Tenor has been fine, and I have had it since February. It even has adapted to my low G string swaps without any issues. I just put on some Kala Red low G strings, which are the first wound strings I have tested. Maybe it is just bad luck, or maybe it has to do with playing style (I tend to pick more than strum). I hear that vigorous strummers might get more buzzes, unless the action is raised.

Good luck with the new mango. I am looking to get another mango too. A solid body one. Kind of interested in the Mainland Uke offerings that are promised for later this year (Mangos-hopefully in August).

–Lori

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you have had bad luck with your mangos. I once owned a kala mango and I loved it but I had to get rid of it. I will purchase a solid mango uke eventually. I own a 6 string and I love strumming it. it is loud and sounds great. The extra strings took a little while(few days) to get used to but that is ok. I was saleing it but I have since decided to keep it.

Sorry to hear that you have had bad luck with your mangos. I once owned a kala mango and I loved it but I had to get rid of it. I will purchase a solid mango uke eventually. I own a 6 string and I love strumming it. it is loud and sounds great. The extra strings took a little while(few days) to get used to but that is ok. I was saleing it but I have since decided to keep it.

Hi there, thanks for your reply... i understand there are a lot of very happy people with Kala ukes which is why im going to give them another shot with the 6 string. I really loved the mango wood which is why i have decided on the solid Pono mango tenor.
I have heard a few samples of 6 strings on youtube and really like the sound it seems to sing more when strumming. Did you not notice any faults on your Kala mango at all? I do have the feeling that my local music shop possibly had the Kalas as B stock and forgot to mention it.

You might be better off ordering a nicer uke instead of buying so many. Seems you have had some bad luck on the low end ukes. Something in the middle may be a better choice. My first uke (well the first one I didn't take back immediately) was a Bushman Cedar Tone Tenor that listed for about $330. Though I found I really like sopranos more, it was a good choice for a first uke since it really doesn't have any production issues, is fairly playable and sounds great. You can really love a very playable uke a lot more than one where you have to tiptoe your way around the flaws.

I bought a custom soprano, which I dearly love. The Mainlands are an excellent choice if you don't want to break your budget. Don't know what uke groups or events you have nearby but if you can get with some other players and try some more expensive ukes, you might find one you really fall in love with. Despite all the talk here of UAS, many players (including Jake and Victoria Vox) have one incredible uke and stick with it.

(its all your faults for posting pictures of Ukuleles that my brain tells me i need to have to survive) .

I agree with you there, I'm expecting my Mainland today and I'm already looking and drooling over other ones that have been posted on here.
If I had the money I would need a room just for my ukes.:eek:

Something in the middle may be a better choice. My first uke (well the first one I didn't take back immediately) was a Bushman Cedar Tone Tenor that listed for about $330.

Hi there thanks for the advice, as far as i know the Pono mango tenor is the higher part of mid range, more than the Bushman or Mainland? I did consider both of those but wanted to spend a little more and really wanted solid mango. I think for a first uke the Kala mango wasnt a bad choice i just think i got unlucky with the stock my local shop had in. I do intend to get a hawaiian made Uke at some point next year, i dont deny when you find "the one" you can be happy with that and only that but i just have this urge to collect them lol!

Woo I ordered my Pono mango tenor today! I'm excited! I ordered with Rigk at ukulele.de/Risa musical instruments. Although there has been a price increase in the ukulele from the manufacturers end i am very pleased with the service so far. Rigk was a pleasure to deal with and his communication was excellent he was very helpful indeed! :D I ordered and paid today and the ukulele will ship tomorrow... now i've just gotta wait, lets hope this time my luck is in!

Top Bottom