Green credentials

Mog

Reaction score
Hiya, I hope i dont piss people off with my very post but im trying to source a new uke which fits my green morals! Maybe im wrong, as even after extensive internet searching i cant find any information on this, but i remember save the rainforest campaigns in the 80s and 90s saying that we shouldnt buy tropical hardwood (ie mahogany, ebony, rosewood etc.), and up till now i have always done this. Yet I need to upgrade my mahalo plywood uke and everything seems to be made of these woods. Ive tried emailing a few suppliers about thier green cedentials but i just get fobbed off. Does anyone know of environmentally conscious makers/suppliers?! (Ive heard of someone who makes bamboo ukes but they are out of my price range),or am i overeacting and you can now get farmed tropical hardwoods?

Any information appreciated.

Ta

I don't have any answers for you on that, but I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say about this. I would be great to know about the sustainability efforts in preserving these scarce tonewoods and to possibly get involved or at least choose luthiers who implement green practices. I know Mr. Moore uses solar power in his home and shop.

Hiya, I hope i dont piss people off with my very post but im trying to source a new uke which fits my green morals! Maybe im wrong, as even after extensive internet searching i cant find any information on this, but i remember save the rainforest campaigns in the 80s and 90s saying that we shouldnt buy tropical hardwood (ie mahogany, ebony, rosewood etc.), and up till now i have always done this. Yet I need to upgrade my mahalo plywood uke and everything seems to be made of these woods. Ive tried emailing a few suppliers about thier green cedentials but i just get fobbed off. Does anyone know of environmentally conscious makers/suppliers?! (Ive heard of someone who makes bamboo ukes but they are out of my price range),or am i overeacting and you can now get farmed tropical hardwoods?

Any information appreciated.

Ta

Dave at Waverly St. ukes uses local timber - often cut from firewood, I think! - to build his ukes. Nice stuff!

www.wsukes.com

I've just re-read my post and I feel the need to appologise for my appalling grammer and spelling! I'll try better next time.

Yeah, Waverly Street uses local wood. And their ukes are surprisingly affordable too! Shipping wood from around the world probably causes as much environmental distress as deforestation, so consider something local.

Not sure what Flea Market Music's offerings are like in the green department (plastics probably aren't the greenest), but you likely wouldn't need to replace one except in extreme circumstances. I guess buying a Fluke instead of a cheap laminate is like buying a reusable tote bag instead of getting a bunch of paper ones. All Flukes and Fleas are made in the USA, which is a plus.

Ran into a guy at Uke Fest in NY who builds ukes, chess boards, and other neat wooden items out of reclaimed koa from uke and furniture. He told me that most wood scraps are actually burned otherwise! So it's neat that he's doing so much with remnants. I'm drawing a blank on his name, but I'll look him up when I get home.

This is an interesting thread and I'm curious to see what else comes out. Hopefully it stays civilized and doesn't degrade into politics.

Last edited:
Yeah, Waverly Street uses local wood. And their ukes are surprisingly affordable too! Shipping wood from around the world probably causes as much environmental distress as deforestation, so consider something local.

Amen, the first person that entered my mind was Dave G. at Waverly Street 'Ukuleles, all made from local sustainable hardwoods, and they sound GREAT (love my pineapple #51). :shaka:
http://www.wsukes.com/index.html
http://www.wsukes.com/forsale.html

Last edited:
I have been thinking of starting a thread on this issue myself. I am a graduate in 3D Design for Sustainability, and as such I am well aware of the complex issues surrounding the design and manufacture of products with a view to sustainability.

I find it quite shocking that Koa is seen as the absolute pinnacle of ukulele tonewoods by many, yet we are talking about a species which is on the ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST!

From my experience it seems that many Hawaiian ukulele players want an instrument made from Koa because it is to them a native timber. Yet by making this choice they are helping to bring about the destruction of their very own ecosystem. It is a bizarre paradox, and therefore I belive that is incredibly important to raise awareness of the issue.

The OP has also picked out other tropical hardwoods, and these species are in trouble too. Friends of The Earth has a campaign called 'Mahogany is Murder'. I think this goes some way to express the seriousness of the situation.

I suggest that everyone should watch this trailer for a documentary on the subject of wood within the music industry. Although it talks about acoustic guitars, the same principals apply:

http://www.hitman-productions.com/works/15_musicwoodX.html

It seems there is a certain cache about certain materials for specific purposes. People want Oak tables, for example, or rosewood fretboards, or mahogany whatever; simply because it is a familiar term. Even though another more plentiful timber could be used in its stead, and before just as well, or better even.

Pete Howlett has now made several ukes from indigenous British timber from a sustainable source, something that I admire greatly and hope that one day I will afford to own.

Thanks for the links, I will contact him, his work does look lovely and so reasonably priced.

I've heard of one of the Japanese brands, I'm afraid I forget the name, advertising themselves as environmentally friendly due to the fact they use laminate (i.e. only very small quantities of tropical hardwood are needed) but I've yet to hear a laminate that I like the sound of.

The laminate you're thinking of is probably a Kiwaya. I have played one and thought it sounded great, you would never guess it was a laminate. However, remember that when most things are advertised as environmentally friendly it is a load of bull, "greenwashing" (something to google if you haven't heard the term) as its known. In my opinion, lamination offers no significant environmental benefit.

I am pleased to see that there is someone who shares my concern on this issue. I only hope that awareness widens before it is too late.

Thanks for the information Futch. Im glad to hear you have more up to date information than I do, I have been unable to find much about Koa so it is interesting to hear that it is one the endangered list.

I tried looking into mango wood as I presume this a tree which is farmed for fruit and therefore more sustainable, but then a mango wood uke will come with rosewood fingerboard etc. which then defeats my purpose.

The few suppliers I have contacted say that they follow the laws of the country of origin (i.e. usually China) which Im afraid I dont trust. Prehaps it is time for manufacturers to be actively pursuing sustainable alternatives, but the demand is not yet there from the consumer for this to be viable.

Dave at Waverly St. ukes uses local timber - often cut from firewood, I think! - to build his ukes. Nice stuff!

www.wsukes.com

Thanks! And I've got a dump truck load coming this weekend. Told the guy what I was doing with it and he said he would make sure I got a bunch of different species, including lots of walnut and cherry :)

You seem to understand the issue well Mog.

We simply cannot rely on half-arsed, watered down laws to protect our environment, because they don't go far enough. From what I have researched and learned so far I believe that we will have to make far bigger changes to our lifestyles in order to develop a truly sustainable future for ourselves.

I apologize I'm going to far off topic, and I will try to steer this post back to the subject!

My minor project for my degree looked at the very issue you have brought up, more sustainable materials for musical instruments. I concluded that it was simply best to keep things local. I.e. an instrument made from local materials by a local craftsman. In this case I think that Pete Howlett is the only maker to fit the bill. You will also have the added benefit of being able to specify exactly what you want, resulting in an instrument that will be with you for a lifetime.

I have been asked for people's opinions on "Green Ukuleles" in Ukulele Player. The person asking did not want to be identified at first and he has not said that it is okay to reveal who he is, but he has been approved by a manufacturer with a goal of producing environmentally friendly ukes.

Dave is using local timber for his ukes, as several people have commented.

I'd also like to mention that Pete Howlett has begun producing ukes with local timber from England.

Dave and Pete are trend-setters here. The retailer I mentioned above is also seriously examining this issue and when he is ready, I think I'll be able to do a feature on the subject.

Thanks! And I've got a dump truck load coming this weekend. Told the guy what I was doing with it and he said he would make sure I got a bunch of different species, including lots of walnut and cherry :)

Hot dog... I can't wait to see the resulting instruments.

I have been thinking of starting a thread on this issue myself. I am a graduate in 3D Design for Sustainability, and as such I am well aware of the complex issues surrounding the design and manufacture of products with a view to sustainability.

I find it quite shocking that Koa is seen as the absolute pinnacle of ukulele tonewoods by many, yet we are talking about a species which is on the ENDANGERED SPECIES LIST!

From my experience it seems that many Hawaiian ukulele players want an instrument made from Koa because it is to them a native timber. Yet by making this choice they are helping to bring about the destruction of their very own ecosystem. It is a bizarre paradox, and therefore I belive that is incredibly important to raise awareness of the issue.

The OP has also picked out other tropical hardwoods, and these species are in trouble too. Friends of The Earth has a campaign called 'Mahogany is Murder'. I think this goes some way to express the seriousness of the situation.

I suggest that everyone should watch this trailer for a documentary on the subject of wood within the music industry. Although it talks about acoustic guitars, the same principals apply:

http://www.hitman-productions.com/works/15_musicwoodX.html

It seems there is a certain cache about certain materials for specific purposes. People want Oak tables, for example, or rosewood fretboards, or mahogany whatever; simply because it is a familiar term. Even though another more plentiful timber could be used in its stead, and before just as well, or better even.

Pete Howlett has now made several ukes from indigenous British timber from a sustainable source, something that I admire greatly and hope that one day I will afford to own.

Here's a thread with some info about the availability and viability of Koa.

Dave, let me ask you for a luthier's veiwpoint....

I have a very tall cherry tree on my property that has died. It shows no signs of foliage or growth. It is in excess of 16" in diameter at the base, and quite straight. Would this timber be suitable for building ukes?

There is a locak builder here that does only usstainable ukuleles think it is hilco but I wll have to double check my records at home.

My shop and home are run 100% on solar power, I simply have no other option where I live. Water is also collected and heated from the heavens. And most of the koa I'm seeing these days is either from dead trees or from logs that have been laying (and rotting!) on the forest floor.

I have been reading this thread with interest, I am allways trying to learn more.
I tried to find Koa on the endangered speicies list, but can't.
Where would I look for this information?

I like the idea of local materials, it can help conserve energy and add to diversity.

Top Bottom