My ukulele won't stay in tune!

Verstand

Reaction score
Hi, UU, new here!

Just got a Mitchell Concert from my local guitar center, upon tuning it to the standard GCEA, I get to playing and not too long before I can just tell that it's out of tune again. Now, I am pretty noob-y with the uke, but I already know to tighten the screw on the back of the tuning peg, yet it doesn't seem to tighten (and I really don't want to strip the screw-head). Regardless of how much force I put behind the screwdriver, it doesn't tighten. Once I got a screw to tighten but it didn't seem to help, simply made it looser.

Any help?

If you just got it, the strings probably need time to stretch and settle. Pull on them (not too hard) and tune them back up to pitch every so often. Just playing it and retuning it will break the strings in. Don't tighten the screws too much, either. You can mess them up pretty fast if you overtighten them. Hope this helps!

If you bought it at Guitar Center, I bet the strings had never even been properly tuned to anything resembling uke tuning until you brought it home. ;)

My MU100 had the same problem. I took it back to GC and the manager, who I know pretty well, told me that the strings needed to stretch and settle in. He was right. It stabilized as the days went by.

There is also another thread on this site talking about how often people tune their ukes. From what I read there it seems like its the nature of the beast and you will have to get used to tuning it a lot.

By the way, I switched out the crappy Mitchell strings for some Martin clears and that really improved the tone.

Can you loosen the screws on the pegs? They may be jammed or worse (cross-threaded). Sometimes taking the things apart and putting them back together can be magical, often for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Also the strings do need to settle and stretch. I played some Mitchells at GC once and it was clear that they had never been in tune. Once they settle they should be reasonably stable and require only tweaking to get in tune.

Tuning depends on use and temperature:

The more the strings are used, the more they will keep their tuning.

Temperature and humidity also affect tuning. I tune all the time, as I hear the instrument start to go out of tune (the fast vibrations you hear when you play the same note on different strings), or when I hit the root of a chord.

Yeah, for the first few days, you're going to have to tune the thing A LOT. It's like that any time you put new uke strings on because they're nylon as opposed to steel guitar strings. You just need to let them stretch until they can't stretch so easily.

Thanks for the fast replies all!

I have noticed that it is requiring less tuning, like less spins of the pegs. Thanks!

Also, I bought the uke and it had 3 strings, string 4 was broken. I received a set of Martin strings for free, but I only replaced the 4th string. Should I replace all of them?

The current ones are black and came on it from the factory.

I would replace them all, if it were me. Another trick I learned on here (that seems to work real well)...before you go to bed, tune each string a half-step up. (i.e. G#-C#-F-A#). Then re-tune to normal tuning in the morning (i.e. G-C-E-A). I've found this helps stretch them and they settle a lot quicker.

New strings have to strech. You'll have to wait about a month,,(I think) for it to stay in tune.

New strings have to strech. You'll have to wait about a month,,(I think) for it to stay in tune.

That's one cool signature you have there.

is it recommended to buy a uke from Guitar Center?

I heard they started selling uke's last yr or so..

just curious :)

It really depends on the GC as to whether there is anyone there that knows the ukulele. The selection is very limited (Cordoba, Mitchell, Fender and Martin) which is strange since GC owns Musicians Friend and MF has a much larger selection. Also, you should expect to have to set it up yourself.

I bought one there because it was I wanted a relatively inexpensive laminate uke for a specific purpose. Also the manager had some uke knowledge.

The ukulele that will be proudly displayed in my music room/office (in that order) will be one from Hawaii. Now if I could just make up my mind between the Kamaka and the Kanilea:confused:

Top Bottom