WTB: parlor.travel size 6 string

doccam

Reaction score
looking for a compact 6 string to add to a collection of koaloha d-vi, baby taylor and yamaha :shaka:guitalele. a pono or mele would be nice. anything elese out there?

:shaka:

Keep an eye out for a Larrivee Parlor Guitar, model P-0x. I just got one from e-bay; solid spruce top and solid mahogany body. I waited till I could find an incredible deal on the first, no bling issue; no longer made. I got mine for only $450, but you can easily find them for 800-1000 including a couple on-line with solid koa bodies. These early models don't have the gloss finish or binding, but the value is even greater. I'd recommend you take a look at some of the acoustic guitar forums for comparisons between the "Baby" Taylor and the Larrivee Parlor. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1895203
Good luck! Carole

Keep an eye out for a Larrivee Parlor Guitar, model P-0x. I just got one from e-bay; solid spruce top and solid mahogany body. I waited till I could find an incredible deal on the first, no bling issue; no longer made. I got mine for only $450, but you can easily find them for 800-1000 including a couple on-line with solid koa bodies. These early models don't have the gloss finish or binding, but the value is even greater. I'd recommend you take a look at some of the acoustic guitar forums for comparisons between the "Baby" Taylor and the Larrivee Parlor. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1895203
Good luck! Carole

I thought I heard someone say something about Larivee parlor guitars... :) Here are my entries...The left one is a mahogany beauty...It may very well be my favorite guitar...!!!...:) The one on the right is a limited edition Brazilian Rosewood model... :)

Attachments

• 100_1068.jpg
    100_1068.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1069.jpg
    100_1069.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
looking for a compact 6 string to add to a collection of koaloha d-vi, baby taylor and yamaha :shaka:guitalele. a pono or mele would be nice. anything elese out there?

How's that D-VI sound? Is it easy to play up the neck? Just wondrin'...??? :)

WhenDogsSing wrote:
How's that D-VI sound? Is it easy to play up the neck? Just wondrin'...???

I too have a Mele guitarlele and a D-VI so here's my comparaison of the two.

For me, the Mele pays more like a guitar. Because of it's baritone size, you play it more like a guitar.

On the otherside, the D-Vi has a tenor body...so you really have that uke tenor feel. So for someone that is used to play with a tenor, it's second nature. I personnally prefer the D-VI tenor size.

As for the sound, I think the Mele is a more friendly player and is easier to get a nice sound right away.

On the otherside, The D-VI has a more complex sound and a sound that can be more kind of magical and resonnant into it. But I think you have to work harder to get the right sound that you want. But if you work hard, I think you can get a lot of richer tone with the D-VI.

So, this was my insight for these 2 instruments....

I also have 3 Yamaha GL-1 guitalele!!!!!!

WhenDogsSing wrote:

For me, the Mele pays more like a guitar. Because of it's baritone size, you play it more like a guitar.

On the otherside, the D-Vi has a tenor body...so you really have that uke tenor feel. So for someone that is used to play with a tenor, it's second nature. I personnally prefer the D-VI tenor size.

As for the sound, I think the Mele is a more friendly player and is easier to get a nice sound right away.

On the otherside, The D-VI has a more complex sound and a sound that can be more kind of magical and resonnant into it. But I think you have to work harder to get the right sound that you want. But if you work hard, I think you can get a lot of richer tone with the D-VI.

Thanks for the info...maybe I'll get a D-VI some day...:)

WhenDogsSing wrote:

How does the Yamaha GL-1 compare to the D-VI and the Mele?

–Lori

Lori wrote:

Hi Lori! I would say that I really love the Yamaha Guitalele. To me it's the same version as the D-VI but cheaper both in term of price and in general.

Ok. So for the shape of the instrument, the Yamaha is almost the same shape as the D-VI. The Yamaha is quite a traditional tenor uke shape. The D-VI is just a little bit bigger but really not much. So I would say , it's almost the same thing.

The main difference for me is the neck of the D-Vi compare to the Yamaha!! The D-VI has simply an amazing neck!!!! Very slim and a litlle bit wider than Yamaha. But it,s amazing how comfortable it is!!! And I'm somone who has small hands.

I would say the neck is vey comparable to the Mele. It's actually the same shape.....but the D-VI plays better and is more confortable even if the both have almost the same shape and thickness.

The Yamaha on the other hand has a thicker neck but less wide. And what is makes is that you have less space for fingerpicking since the strings are closer. And the wthicker neck is notas pleasant to play.

Well for sure that if you don't own a D-VI you will find the Yamaha to be nice but once you have a D-VI to compare you clearly see how much easier and more confortable is the D-VI neck.

The other problem with the Yamaha neck is that it,s qute heavy!!! Since it has a slotted headstock, the balance of the instrument tend to go o the neck....which is quite annyoing.

As for the rest of the contruction, the Yamaha is a very well built instrument.

As for the sound now. Ok the first thing you have to understand is that the Yamaha is mass produce product that cost very cheap. So from my exprience since I own 3, you can get one that sounds very nice and get one that sounds so so. So just be aware of that.

The action can be different too. I do get one that the action is very low and because of that the 5 first fret sound very soft and quite tricky to play.

But if you get one that the action is properly set up, you can make this instrument sing. You will have to experiment with a lot fo strings combo to find what you like.

And since I'm a freak of strings....well I ty all kind of combo to get what I really like and what can make the instrument sing. It's really up to you to find the tone you want it to be. What I like may not be what you like....so treble and bass strings combo is really a question of taste....and the instrument will react differently too.

But you can get a very clean sound form the Yamaha.

In conclusion, the Yamaha athis price is amazingly a good instrument but again, you have to try several one to pick the one that sound the best because like I said, you can get one that sounds and play very so so.

Since i know a few guys at my local music stores, I always have the chance to make them bring a few from the backstore so I can try a few ones before I pick the one I like.

Thanks.

d-vi vs. guitalele

–Lori

the size of the two instruments are very similar but that is where the similarities end. besides the difference in price, the build philopsophy feels much different. the gl-1 definitely feels like an instrument build by a corporation for the mass public whereas the d-vi feels more like a custom built instrument. by this i mean, the guitalele markets more to an audience that may or may not have much musical or instrument experience, so it feels overbuilt, necessary to survive user's abuse. in contrast, the market for the d-vi are experienced players who know how to care for and appreciate a fine instrument.
tapping on the d-vi sound board reveals a resonant mellowness with sweet over tones. tapping on the the gl-1 sound board reveals a thuddy, muffled, delayed sound. the soundboard and back on the d-vi are constructed from one solid piece not two pieces joined and glued together. the gl-1 appears to have laminated top and back.
the headstock and neck of the gl-1 appear to be from a classical guitar (naturally because yamaha makes many classical guitars) and feels over sized considering the size of the body. the neck of the d-vi is truly a delight to play.
both came tuned ADGcea'. i've left the guitalele that way, but have strung the d-vi with only d'addario extra high tension composite unwound strings that allows a low G and high c', the tuning goes:
Gc'gCeg
i use this tuning set up because it allows me use the d-vi as an ukulele, in taro partch, on the high strings and still gives me a low G and the c' (c above the high g) that lends a mandolin tone to the sound.
i enjoy playing the gl-1 but it is not even close to the d-vi. two different instruments for different purposes, the guitalele is mainly used to practice and as a beater whereas the d-vi gets played in public.
summary:
guitalele: reliable, affordable, but over-built and dull.
d-vi: a joy to play, resonant and bright
kind of like comparing a vw to a porsche. both will get you from point a to point b but a totally diffferent ambience and affordability to each

Last edited:
thanks!!!

the size of the two instruments are very similar but that is where the similarities end. besides the difference in price, the build philopsophy feels much different. the gl-1 definitely feels like an instrument build by a corporation for the mass public whereas the d-vi feels more like a custom built instrument. by this i mean, the guitalele markets more to an audience that may or may not have much musical or instrument experience, so it feels overbuilt, necessary to survive user's abuse. in contrast, the market for the d-vi are experienced players who know how to care for and appreciate a fine instrument.
tapping on the d-vi sound board reveals a resonant mellowness with sweet over tones. tapping on the the gl-1 sound board reveals a thuddy, muffled, delayed sound. the soundboard and back on the d-vi are constructed from one solid piece not two pieces joined and glued together. the gl-1 appears to have laminated top and back.
the headstock and neck of the gl-1 appear to be from a classical guitar (naturally because yamaha makes many classical guitars) and feels over sized considering the size of the body. the neck of the d-vi is truly a delight to play.
both came tuned ADGcea'. i've left the guitalele that way, but have strung the d-vi with only d'addario extra high tension composite unwound strings that allows a low G and high c', the tuning goes:
Gc'gCeg
i use this tuning set up because it allows me use the d-vi as an ukulele, in taro partch, on the high strings and still gives me a low G and the c' (c above the high g) that lends a mandolin tone to the sound.
i enjoy playing the gl-1 but it is not even close to the d-vi. two different instruments for different purposes, the guitalele is mainly used to practice and as a beater whereas the d-vi gets played in public.
summary:
guitalele: reliable, affordable, but over-built and dull.
d-vi: a joy to play, resonant and bright
kind of like comparing a vw to a prsche. both will get you from point a to point b but a totally diffferent ambience and affordability to each

Wow, thanks so much for your considered review. Very thorough and yet concise. Very helpful. I have naturally been tempted by these instruments, especially since I come from a classical guitar background. I am not sure if I could play pieces I already know on these instruments, but I would like the option of more notes on the bottom end of the scale.

–Lori

Top Bottom