Videfying a 10 year old computer?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
ALOHA! I have a 10 year old Compac desk top computer. Can I add a cheap video camera and software so I can start recording songs? Is there a decent video editing freeware available? I am broke from my recent UAS attack so must keep it cheap. MAHALO!

10 years... wow, not to be mean nor to rub it in, but that's one old computer. But really, it only means the computer was from 1999, so it's not that bad.

What operating system are you running? If it's 10 years old, it might not have enough ram or processor speed to run video editing software. Video editing software require a lot of RAM and need a decent amount of processing speed. What are the specs on your computer? What you can do is go buy a really good digital camera for ~100 bucks or something and make sure it has "video" capabilities. As for editing software... until I know the specs, I can't really recommend anything. You could get a better video card and more Ram, but some newer editing software just won't run on anything older than XP.

are you typing on that 10 year old computer right now? if so, then wow!

if not, then how come you don't use your more recent computer for your editing?

also, most digital point-and-shoot cameras come with video capabilities. if you have one, maybe just record to that and do your video editing with Windows Movie Maker or iMovie. those are free and simple to use. good luck dude!

Ten years old, eh? :eek: What are the specs on that bad boy (processor speed, RAM, OS, available plug-in slots?)

You might be able to use a cheap webcam, but don't expect spectacular results. All of the webcams I've seen on the market these days are USB. If you don't have that, you'll probably be hard pressed to find something that'll still work with serial/parallel ports.

Like russ_buss said, many digicams have video capabilities, but again, you'll probably need USB.

Windows Movie Maker should be more than adequate for the basics. I know it was included in a standard install of XP, not sure about other versions.

May I humbly suggest you start saving up for a new PC? ;)

May I humbly suggest you start saving up for a new PC? ;)

oh yeah, that too. i just helped my aunt buy a Toshiba laptop from BestBuy for $299. for a basic laptop, it has more than enough power and capacity for your editing needs. at about the same price (if not cheaper) than one of your pineapples.;)

Just for jollies I downloaded a video capture program (Debut Video) which has a capture rate of 30 images per second but when I installed it the program sent me a message saying my computer can only handle 1 image per second. :eek:
I think I better check into a cheap laptop from Costco or Best Buy. My old digital camera can only handle 15 seconds of video at a time, not even sure if I could do "Elephant Town" in that short span. Do these cheap laptops come with camera, and editing software.

My old digital camera can only handle 15 seconds of video at a time, not even sure if I could do "Elephant Town" in that short span.
Let me guess... is it a Sony Mavica that records to floppy disks? Because the one I used to use did 15 seconds at small size, 60 seconds at miniscule. It was decent for still images right up til the charger stopped working, effective making it useless. It originally cost me $700. :eek: We bought a Lumix digicam a year ago for like $150 that blows it away in capabilities.

I doubt a cheap laptop comes with a camera or editing software, but for sure, you can find a free software alternative, and any newer laptop/desktop will have enough processing power and RAM to work well with a webcam or digital camera and it should have the USB port you'll need for modern devices. :)

I jumped the gun and yesterday purchased a USB webcam with LED lights, and built in microphone on ebay $10 delivered. I guess I could plug that into a laptop USB port right?

My digital camera is an Olympus 3.1 megapixel which takes decent pictures and uses AAs so not bad as a camera but sux as a video camera. :mad:

I jumped the gun and yesterday purchased a USB webcam with LED lights, and built in microphone on ebay $10 delivered. I guess I could plug that into a laptop USB port right?
Yeah, that should work, but I can't attest to the picture/sound quality you're going to get out of a $10 webcam.

But for the price, it's worth experimenting. :)

Hey Ahnko,
I bet I got you beat! I have a 1ghz Pentium3. 1.5gb ram. 16gb video card. I desperately need a new computer, but it does what I need to right now. Havent tried a video cam, but I do DVD ripping and backups with no problem.

Top Bottom