How difficult is it to change the nut on a Kamaka Tenor

Howie1947

Reaction score
May have an issue with my 4 yr old tenor kamaka. The nut has a chip in iit where the G string is. Does not seem to be causing any probs at this time. If I did decide to replace it, would this be something I any luthier could do, or would I need to have the folks at kamaka do it? Howie

May have an issue with my 4 yr old tenor kamaka. The nut has a chip in iit where the G string is. Does not seem to be causing any probs at this time. If I did decide to replace it, would this be something I any luthier could do, or would I need to have the folks at kamaka do it? Howie

I would think that any local music store could do this for you. This being said you could also do it yourself, I have pulled the nut off two of my ukes to lower the action. I bought a small banjo, and turned it into a banjolele. I had to buy a nut blank, and build a new nut for it. I am not a luthier, just have a inquring mind.

I am sure you could do it if you buy a nut blank, you can usally get three to four nuts cut out of it. I used my razor saw to cut them.

Howie, if you do it, let us know how it goes. I'm having some slight buzzing issues with my C string on my Kamaka and I'm curious as to the cost of repairs/replacement on the nut...

Wicked.....................It is not a big issue at the moment. So I'm not going to do anything. But if anything changes, I'll keep you posted

Top Bottom