PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER question about tuning

offandonagain
07-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I got a ukulele makala soprano from MGM this morning and already I'm fruststrated.

I've been using an online tuner but I can't get my strings to sound right like it does the sites I've been onto. (Don't bother pointing me to one that uses a microphone because mine's broken)

When I think it'a right I give it a strum and it's off key! Any tips? Or am I being too fussy?:p

ukudele
07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Grab a chromatic tuner. It will save you tons of time and aggravation.
I fudged with the online resources, a pitch pipe, and even a piano. Save your self some time and grins. Score a cheap one from your local music store. The UU has a clip on tuner as well.

Thumper
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
A clip-on tuner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P97ZL8/?tag2=httpwwwkeit0d-20) will make your life SO much easier. Once you try one, you'll never go back.

Also, new strings fall out of tune very quickly, so you'll have to retune constantly at first.

upskydowncloud
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I got a ukulele makala soprano from MGM this morning and already I'm fruststrated.

I've been using an online tuner but I can't get my strings to sound right like it does the sites I've been onto. (Don't bother pointing me to one that uses a microphone because mine's broken)

When I think it'a right I give it a strum and it's off key! Any tips? Or am I being too fussy?:p

It's a tough one. I used a chromatic tuner to begin with then realised that it wasn't working properly so bought a clip on tuner. Since then my uke has sounded really good and is always in tune!

I really recommend saving up for a clip on tuner, the sound will be quite impressive. The UU shop sells the tuners but I found they charge a lot more for shipping than someone like MGM.

I don't have much experience with Makala but I know some ukes don't stay in tune when you strum them, I think that was Mahalo though.

offandonagain
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm planning on getting a tuner I just need something to tide me over until then. But it's not sounding right I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

12imnew
07-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm planning on getting a tuner I just need something to tide me over until then. But it's not sounding right I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(
i'm in the same situation... i am using my guitar tuner at the moment, but it's not ideal... it isn't picking up the sound so great 'cause my uke is cheap and it doesn't actually tune C. you might try tuning one of your strings using an online tuner, then tuning the rest to that string... like i said, not ideal, but that's how i do it. also, you do need to tune regularly at least to begin with 'cause it comes out of tune a lot at first (I have a makala concert).

hoosierhiver
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Fill out your profile so people know where you are from, maybe someone in your area can help you.

generem
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Yea. I cant tune by ear either so I have a clip on tuner.. about a month ago, it ran out of batteries so I had to tune by ear and could not do it but I figured that I knew the the C tone really well so I was able to tune by C string.. Knowing the 4th fret on C is an E, I was able to tune the E string. I just kept strumming both strings till they sounded identical.. You will know they are tuned together. Once I tuned the E string, I held the 5 fret on E string and tuned the A string with that.. 7th fret on the C string to tune the G string.. I took me a while but having the a reference tone while tuning really helped alot..

Hope this helps. if this post doesnt make sence, let me know

ukantor
07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Not everyone is good at matching one sound to another. You will get better with practice. In the meanwhile, as others have said, the answer is an electronic tuner. Go for a clip-on type that does not pick up the sound through a microphone. The clip-ons work from the vibration, not from the audible sound.

John Colter (ukantor)