Sweetheart ukulele

redsedge

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these ukes? I'm seriously interested in buying one - from the same stable as the akulele, but know very little. What wood are they made from and how do they sound? I think there's one stockist in the UK - Duke of Uke in London - does anyone know any other outlets? San Diego would be a possibility as my own dear sweetheart travels there occasionally. (And what a fine birthday present that would be!) I'd be hugely grateful for any info.

Does anyone know anything about these ukes? I'm seriously interested in buying one - from the same stable as the akulele, but know very little. What wood are they made from and how do they sound? I think there's one stockist in the UK - Duke of Uke in London - does anyone know any other outlets? San Diego would be a possibility as my own dear sweetheart travels there occasionally. (And what a fine birthday present that would be!) I'd be hugely grateful for any info.

I met the guy who invented these. His name is Joe Todoro. His store is not to far from my house. These things are great. I plan on getting one. Here's his website.
http://www.worldfrets.com
I don't know what kind of wood they're made from, but they're carved out of one solid piece. The neck, body and headstock. He has them made in Bolivia. I would say contact him.

I mailed Joseph Todaro and he said "the woods vary, including argarobo, naranhijo, quina quina."

Anyone know anything about these woods?

They are supposed to be decent little instruments. Howeve, the curved back has always put me off of buying one. I'm just not interested in having something like that slide all over my lap.

I do hope to get a DaSilva uke with the heart shaped sound hole at some point.

These Bolivian ukes (Akuleles) are awesome ukes. Don't worry about the wood used, they all sound great and they are all unique, both in tone and look. Not two will be the same, but the one piece construction means incredible sustain and projection.

I own one myself and since I work in a music store, we now also stock these ukes :). The European stores charge far more than we do in Australia. Let me know if you want more info.

Mike DaSilva makes beautiful ukes. But you just cannot compare an Akulele with one of his ukes, they are two different things!

If you can afford a DaSilva, for sure, get one!

These Bolivian ukes (Akuleles) are awesome ukes. Don't worry about the wood used, they all sound great and they are all unique, both in tone and look. Not two will be the same, but the one piece construction means incredible sustain and projection.

I own one myself and since I work in a music store, we now also stock these ukes :). The European stores charge far more than we do in Australia. Let me know if you want more info.

Mike DaSilva makes beautiful ukes. But you just cannot compare an Akulele with one of his ukes, they are two different things!

If you can afford a DaSilva, for sure, get one!

How much do these run $$$ wise? Does your shop have a website?

Reminds me of a charango - similar build. Jacaranda is also used in charangos.

I bought a Bolivian charango earlier this year from an eBay seller. I thought the sound was good but the build quality was less than I had hoped. The frets stuck out and needed filing. But nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Hi,

We are on eBay (most of our ukes are listed there, but not all) and one Akulele is listed, so have a look if you like to get an idea: www.stores.ebay.com.au/musiccitycairns. The pineapple one is a bit more expensive, prettier, but I like the tone of the one listed a bit better. I am happy to send you more photos if you like.

These ukes are indead based on the charango design. All Akuleles are inspected by Joseph Todaro before shipment. Where needed we set up ukes as part of our standard shop service.

Cheers,

Gaby

Top Bottom