New to Uke's and the USA!

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new to Uke's and looking to buy one right now. I'm deciding between the Kala KA-T or Kala KA-ST and maybe a concert or soprano because of maybe a lower price and just because I can never seem to make up my mind, lol.

A little about me... I've been around music all my life. My dad was a drummer until I was about 16. I've been introduced to guitars when I was 13 (but didn't stick with it cuz I was a young teen, ignorant and took my teachers jokes about me not practicing too seriously and quit). Then, when I tried to pick it up at 18 (after I had played the sax in school band for a few years) my bro decided he would steal the family guitar and never let me use it.... so here I am, 27 trying to find an instrument to learn (I bought a $350 Yamaha keyboard but never touched it...). I was thinking of guitar but discovered the uke's sound and I think I'm love. I'm currently living in Savannah, GA, a far ways from home in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I just moved here in Jan cuz I got married to a US Army soldier and WOW it's different here!

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and I'm looking forward to my first uke, if I can ever decided which to get! :music:

Last edited:
Welcome to UU Melissa! I know you'll have a good time here.

More importantly, welcome to the USA! And even more importantly, welcome to Georgia! I live in Athens, GA. I'm currently attending UGA for college. I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Hi Melissa
Welcome! I've only been here a short time but I love the ukulele and there are some wonderful people here that will help you love it even more. Don't wait just buy the uke that speaks to you. I can almost guarantee that there will be more to follow... sooner than you think.... trust me!

Hi, welcome aboard. You won't regret the uke-it's amazing. Learn from the folks on this website as I have, a ton of knowledge here! Most of all-have fun with it!

Hi Melissa...and welcome to the greatest community on the interweb. My advise is just pick one you like and get it. Then you'll have an idea what you like/dislike when you buy your second uke (oh, yes...there will be a second...and third...). You can't go wrong with Kala as a starter uke. If you are unsure of what size...I would recommend a concert. Its kinda the in between and you can decide if your next one should be bigger or smaller.

Welcome to UU. It's a fabulous place and you'll learn a lot and make lots of new friends.

Thanks everyone! I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(

You could still go with a Makala, get a uke that sounds good and be close to your hubby's price range. I think he wants to be sure you'll follow through before you get the expensive models. The Makala is still made by Kala, try the soprano to start...when he sees how much you enjoy it he might spring for a "nicer" ukulele...just a thought.:)

Any one here want to bet she gets what she wants?
LOL!!! I'm working on him... it's cuz I bought this keyboard and don't use it (but he didn't pay for that, haha)... along with the $70 of drawing materials... $60 sewing machine... Ok, I see his point but this is different, I swear, lol!

Thanks everyone! I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(

Here's what you do: You buy it, put in somewhere he won't find it. Take it out a couple of months later. He asks, "Is that new?" You say, "No, I've had that a few months." He gets a really confused look on his face and all is well.

It worked great for me on a lot of things until my son was old enough to talk. Then when Paul would get home my son would say "Mommy got a new _____ today." Busted!

You could still go with a Makala, get a uke that sounds good and be close to your hubby's price range. I think he wants to be sure you'll follow through before you get the expensive models. The Makala is still made by Kala, try the soprano to start...when he sees how much you enjoy it he might spring for a "nicer" ukulele...just a thought.:)
Maybe I could get a concert... they do have a package for just over $100... hehehe.

Here's what you do: You buy it, put in somewhere he won't find it. Take it out a couple of months later. He asks, "Is that new?" You say, "No, I've had that a few months." He gets a really confused look on his face and all is well.

It worked great for me on a lot of things until my son was old enough to talk. Then when Paul would get home my son would say "Mommy got a new _____ today." Busted!
:biglaugh:

Can you pout? Pouting is an effective weapon against man-logic (my girls do it to me all the time).
It's only been 5 months but I think I'm losing my touch. I need to think of something else... lol

I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(
Well, you said you bought a $350 keyboard but never used it, along with some of the other "toys" you've bought. I can see how he'd be skeptical of buying more stuff you might not use.

If he's footing the bill, go with the cheapie for now, then if you stay with it, you can justify getting something better.

Given your track record with expensive toys you didn't use, I can understand his reluctance to allow you to buy something better.

Good luck to ya!

Sell the keyboard, buy the uke you want. There problem solved. ;)

Welcome to the UU family. You will absolutely love playing the ukulele.

+1! I trade gadgets and toys in and out of the house so much it makes my wife dizzy...but as long as the only cash input is birthday and/or Christmas money from my mom, she couldn't care less...keyboard out, ukulele in.

(P.S. Any chance he'll be deployed soon? Not that it's a good thing, but I'm just sayin'...)

+1! I trade gadgets and toys in and out of the house so much it makes my wife dizzy...but as long as the only cash input is birthday and/or Christmas money from my mom, she couldn't care less...keyboard out, ukulele in.

(P.S. Any chance he'll be deployed soon? Not that it's a good thing, but I'm just sayin'...)
A few months... lol. I think he is scared what he will come home to.

Top Bottom