PDA

View Full Version : New to Uke's and the USA!

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone

I'm new to Uke's and looking to buy one right now. I'm deciding between the Kala KA-T or Kala KA-ST and maybe a concert or soprano because of maybe a lower price and just because I can never seem to make up my mind, lol.

A little about me... I've been around music all my life. My dad was a drummer until I was about 16. I've been introduced to guitars when I was 13 (but didn't stick with it cuz I was a young teen, ignorant and took my teachers jokes about me not practicing too seriously and quit). Then, when I tried to pick it up at 18 (after I had played the sax in school band for a few years) my bro decided he would steal the family guitar and never let me use it.... so here I am, 27 trying to find an instrument to learn (I bought a $350 Yamaha keyboard but never touched it...). I was thinking of guitar but discovered the uke's sound and I think I'm love. I'm currently living in Savannah, GA, a far ways from home in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I just moved here in Jan cuz I got married to a US Army soldier and WOW it's different here!

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and I'm looking forward to my first uke, if I can ever decided which to get! :music:

specialmike
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to UU Melissa! I know you'll have a good time here.

More importantly, welcome to the USA! And even more importantly, welcome to Georgia! I live in Athens, GA. I'm currently attending UGA for college. I hope you enjoy your stay :)

BrotherUke
07-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Melissa
Welcome! I've only been here a short time but I love the ukulele and there are some wonderful people here that will help you love it even more. Don't wait just buy the uke that speaks to you. I can almost guarantee that there will be more to follow... sooner than you think.... trust me!

uke552
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, welcome aboard. You won't regret the uke-it's amazing. Learn from the folks on this website as I have, a ton of knowledge here! Most of all-have fun with it!

KC8AFW
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Melissa...and welcome to the greatest community on the interweb. My advise is just pick one you like and get it. Then you'll have an idea what you like/dislike when you buy your second uke (oh, yes...there will be a second...and third...). You can't go wrong with Kala as a starter uke. If you are unsure of what size...I would recommend a concert. Its kinda the in between and you can decide if your next one should be bigger or smaller.

sukie
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Welcome to UU. It's a fabulous place and you'll learn a lot and make lots of new friends.

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone! I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(

BrotherUke
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Any one here want to bet she gets what she wants?

Ukeffect
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
You could still go with a Makala, get a uke that sounds good and be close to your hubby's price range. I think he wants to be sure you'll follow through before you get the expensive models. The Makala is still made by Kala, try the soprano to start...when he sees how much you enjoy it he might spring for a "nicer" ukulele...just a thought.:)

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Any one here want to bet she gets what she wants?LOL!!! I'm working on him... it's cuz I bought this keyboard and don't use it (but he didn't pay for that, haha)... along with the $70 of drawing materials... $60 sewing machine... Ok, I see his point but this is different, I swear, lol!

sukie
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(

Here's what you do: You buy it, put in somewhere he won't find it. Take it out a couple of months later. He asks, "Is that new?" You say, "No, I've had that a few months." He gets a really confused look on his face and all is well.

It worked great for me on a lot of things until my son was old enough to talk. Then when Paul would get home my son would say "Mommy got a new _____ today." Busted!

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
You could still go with a Makala, get a uke that sounds good and be close to your hubby's price range. I think he wants to be sure you'll follow through before you get the expensive models. The Makala is still made by Kala, try the soprano to start...when he sees how much you enjoy it he might spring for a "nicer" ukulele...just a thought.:)Maybe I could get a concert... they do have a package for just over $100... hehehe.

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Here's what you do: You buy it, put in somewhere he won't find it. Take it out a couple of months later. He asks, "Is that new?" You say, "No, I've had that a few months." He gets a really confused look on his face and all is well.

It worked great for me on a lot of things until my son was old enough to talk. Then when Paul would get home my son would say "Mommy got a new _____ today." Busted! :biglaugh:

KC8AFW
07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Can you pout? Pouting is an effective weapon against man-logic (my girls do it to me all the time).

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Can you pout? Pouting is an effective weapon against man-logic (my girls do it to me all the time).It's only been 5 months but I think I'm losing my touch. I need to think of something else... lol

itsme
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I just got some sad news from hubby that I'm not allowed to buy the uke I want. I'm only allowed a cheap $30 one. :(
Well, you said you bought a $350 keyboard but never used it, along with some of the other "toys" you've bought. I can see how he'd be skeptical of buying more stuff you might not use.

If he's footing the bill, go with the cheapie for now, then if you stay with it, you can justify getting something better.

Given your track record with expensive toys you didn't use, I can understand his reluctance to allow you to buy something better.

Good luck to ya!

CoffeeMate
07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Sell the keyboard, buy the uke you want. There problem solved. ;)

Welcome to the UU family. You will absolutely love playing the ukulele.

thejumpingflea
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the family of Uke obsessive people that is UU!

bbycrts
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM

+1! I trade gadgets and toys in and out of the house so much it makes my wife dizzy...but as long as the only cash input is birthday and/or Christmas money from my mom, she couldn't care less...keyboard out, ukulele in.

(P.S. Any chance he'll be deployed soon? Not that it's a good thing, but I'm just sayin'...)

Melissa82
07-09-2009, 06:25 PM
+1! I trade gadgets and toys in and out of the house so much it makes my wife dizzy...but as long as the only cash input is birthday and/or Christmas money from my mom, she couldn't care less...keyboard out, ukulele in.

(P.S. Any chance he'll be deployed soon? Not that it's a good thing, but I'm just sayin'...)A few months... lol. I think he is scared what he will come home to.

hoosierhiver
07-10-2009, 02:54 AM

I second this one, put the keyboard on Craig's list.
You're gonna love ukulele!

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 03:05 AM
I second this one, put the keyboard on Craig's list.
You're gonna love ukulele!Nooo... I know as SOON as I do that I will want it back... I'll just have to save up. :o

Link
07-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Welcome to UU Melissa! I hope you get what you want! And hope you have fun here in the US :)

Bratset
07-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Welcome to UU Melissa. I also recon you should sell the keyboard :)! Feed the UAS

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Welcome to UU Melissa. I also recon you should sell the keyboard :)! Feed the UASI just had someone reply to a craigslist ad. They have a Pono PTO-CE for $400 (he's only had it for 5 months). I offered my keyboard plus $50, lol, We'll see what happens.

*edit* No go, too bad. :(

Posting my keyboard on craigslist now.

Captain_Lovehandles
07-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Melissa, maybe you should contact our GA brother UKE Republic. He seems to have all price ranges.

ukerepublic.com/ (http://ukerepublic.com/)

Welcome.

Lori
07-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Maybe you could save up by economizing somewhere else. Maybe he will change his mind after a week of Spam recipes (very popular in Hawaii). Maybe no cookies for a month! You know what to choose. Hey, grab a sandwich instead of eating out, or rent a movie instead of going to the theater. You might already be doing all those things, but you get the idea. Maybe he will see how serious you are on this, and relent.

You know, you might want to keep the keyboard, to add to your uke videos!

–Lori

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
You know, you might want to keep the keyboard, to add to your uke videos!

–LoriLOL!!! I know... that's what I said. But I'm desperate. I want one now. I have nothing to do all day, stuck at home with no job (don't have american work permit yet or car).

Captain_Lovehandles
07-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Or somebody with 3 Kalas could loan you one :rolleyes:

;)

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Or somebody with 3 Kalas could loan you one :rolleyes:

;)*looks around* I know someone with 3 guitars, that I LIVE with and won't let me use one (dumb roommate, he doesn't even use them, haha).

*cry* I bought my keyboard for $350 a few months ago. Now look, $270. http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=439617V

Lori
07-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Get this one, and he won't even notice it! It's a Kala, probably around $90.
–Lori

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Get this one, and he won't even notice it! It's a Kala, probably around $90.
–LoriHahaha! Yeah, it would just blend in with his ACU's on the floor.

RON<>VA
07-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Don't sell the keyboard. I have a Yamaha keyboard and it can be fun to play with your uke. Just record a keyboard song, hit the playback button and play the ukulele along with it.

The way I handle my uke purchases is to tell my wife I "could" sell the keyboard or "could" sell this other ukulele . . . but I just don't happen to get around to doing it. So, I end up with the keyboard and 4 ukes :)

Wasn't exactly a lie? :rolleyes:

Ahnko Honu
07-10-2009, 09:02 AM
WELCOME to UU, USA, and UAS. :D

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
You guys will never guess what just happened.

I was waiting for hubby to come home and wondering where he was since it was past the time he usually gets in. I take a peek outside and see his car parked around the corner. Hmm... but he's not inside the house? So, I keep looking and I see a hand flick a smoke! Ut uh, someone is supposed to be quitting... I send him a text "I see you" but he has his phone on silent. I took the dog out cuz she was bugging me, walk up behind the car and his expression in the side mirror was priceless. It was the total "crap, I was caught" look. I proceed to give him crap and make him walk the dog. When he comes in, he starts reading his book on the bed. I come over after a bit and start talking about ukulele's.... well, I'm allowed to get one now because he feels guilty about getting caught, LOL!!!!

So.. now which do I get? The Kala KA-ST, KA-TE, KA-TG or KA-T?

HaileISela
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I can almost guarantee that there will be more to follow... sooner than you think.... trust me!

Welcome Melissa!

I thought the title of your thread was a typo and was meant to be "new to UAS"^^

BrotherUke
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes... the old guilt trip method! Been a victim of it myself a few times.

You got him where you want him now...GO FOR A KAMAKA!!! :rock:

sukie
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes... the old guilt trip method! Been a victim of it myself a few times.

You got him where you want him now...GO FOR A KAMAKA!!! :rock:

You beat me to the punch! But I say get a KoAloha!

seeso
07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
well, I'm allowed to get one now because he feels guilty about getting caught, LOL!!!!

LOL! Classic! :D

Why are you not considering a concert size? I would suggesst that size as a happy medium.

Lori
07-10-2009, 12:41 PM
You guys will never guess what just happened.

I was waiting for hubby to come home and wondering where he was since it was past the time he usually gets in. I take a peek outside and see his car parked around the corner. Hmm... but he's not inside the house? So, I keep looking and I see a hand flick a smoke! Ut uh, someone is supposed to be quitting... I send him a text "I see you" but he has his phone on silent. I took the dog out cuz she was bugging me, walk up behind the car and his expression in the side mirror was priceless. It was the total "crap, I was caught" look. I proceed to give him crap and make him walk the dog. When he comes in, he starts reading his book on the bed. I come over after a bit and start talking about ukulele's.... well, I'm allowed to get one now because he feels guilty about getting caught, LOL!!!!

Make sure he quits smoking. It is a big deal. I have a mother-in-law who refused to quit, and now is suffering from the results. People think "so what if I don't live so long", but really, it is about how many debilitating health problems am I planning on enduring because of being a smoker. So, keep at him. Maybe he should play an instrument instead of smoking, for relaxation.

Now the fun part!! I am impressed with the sound of my Kala Kiwi, which is a mahogany laminate. Very nice! My spruce top soprano, is very wonderful too. It has a more high end bright sound, but it also has a maple body. So, are you in love more with the rich tones (leaning toward guitar) or higher/ brighter sounds? I personally like the gloss over the satin finish. I have not used any with built in EQ, so I won't comment on that, except I don't like the look of dull black plastic on a nice wooden uke. I like Worth medium Clear strings best on all my ukuleles so far. Strike quickly, while the guilt is fresh.
–Lori

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 12:41 PM
LOL! Classic! :D

Why are you not considering a concert size? I would suggesst that size as a happy medium.I was just thinking that. I've been sitting here for awhile looking at videos of the concert vs tenor and I'm going crazy. I have nowhere to look for uke's here (the only store is not opened when I can get there) so I can't even try any... sigh... I like the sound of the tenor but like the size of the concert. There must be pro's and con's, just have to figure them out.

Back to researching!

HaileISela
07-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Make sure he quits smoking. It is a big deal. I have a mother-in-law who refused to quit, and now is suffering from the results. People think "so what if I don't live so long", but really, it is about how many debilitating health problems am I planning on enduring because of being a smoker. So, keep at him. Maybe he should play an instrument instead of smoking, for relaxation.

plus you can safe a lot of money for ukes if he stops smoking

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Lol, that is true. Believe me, I am always on his case abou smoking. Hopefully not too much to make him start back up to how much he used to smoke (a pack a day). He's doing good, I'm proud of him considering he has been smoking for 10 years.

Alright, I think I'm getting closer to getting a concert uke now...

BBcakes
07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
How about the Kala KA-SC? It has a solid spruce top with glossy mahogany sides, concert size. As mentioned by Captain_Lovehandles, fellow UU member Uke Republic in GA has one going for $145...

http://ukerepublic.com/KASC.html

MGM also had some of these a few weeks ago, but don't see the concert size available anymore. Here's a look at the tenor tho...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-ST-Sitka-solid-sprucetop-Tenor-Ukulele-w-case_W0QQitemZ330343040547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9fac623&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A30

I still want this Kala, along with a Mainland and a Fluke. Just a matter of which one to get first!:rolleyes:

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
How about the Kala KA-SC? It has a solid spruce top with glossy mahogany sides, concert size. As mentioned by Captain_Lovehandles, fellow UU member Uke Republic in GA has one going for $145...

http://ukerepublic.com/KASC.html

MGM also had some of these a few weeks ago, but don't see the concert size available anymore. Here's a look at the tenor tho...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-ST-Sitka-solid-sprucetop-Tenor-Ukulele-w-case_W0QQitemZ330343040547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9fac623&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A30

I still want this Kala, along with a Mainland and a Fluke. Just a matter of which one to get first!:rolleyes:Ooo... hmm...

bbycrts
07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Love my concert. I've had everything from sopranino to baritone and concert has been my hands-down favorite!

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, think I'm going to get a concert and if I feel the need to get another, I'll get a tenor down the road. ;)

It's too bad I can't drive to Atlanta this weekend and get a uke from Uke Republic, I though it was a store!

Alright, nevermind... I just got crap for that suggestion, lol.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
How would you compare the KALA KA-CG vs the KA-SC?

BBcakes
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't own a Kala (yet), but many have suggested choosing a solid wood top (in this case, KA-SC) over a laminate (KA-CG). Supposed to sound better, but some may beg to differ...

I believe the Kala spruce top has a nice bright sound. Not sure about the gloss mahogany laminate.

seeso
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
How would you compare the KALA KA-CG vs the KA-SC?

I would go with the KA-SC. It has a solid spruce top, as opposed to the laminate mahogany of the KA-CG.

A solid top will give you more volume and sustain, and will sound better as it ages.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the sway of thought everyone. I'm going to contact both Uke Republic and MGM to see what they can do for me. :D

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Just talked to MGM and he said they will have more KA-SC's in on Wednesday! :D

BrotherUke
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Ha! I knew that you'd get what you wanted...and it only took 24 hours :D

Pippin
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to Ukulele Underground. I hope you enjoy playing your new ukulele when you get it.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Ha! I knew that you'd get what you wanted...and it only took 24 hours :DI obviously don't realize the power I have! :rofl:

Welcome to Ukulele Underground. I hope you enjoy playing your new ukulele when you get it. Thanks! :D

UKISOCIETY
07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I obviously don't realize the power I have! :rofl:

Talk to my wife. You have no idea what power the woman has in a marriage!!:p

UKISOCIETY
07-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I was joking. D-d-don't talk to my wife.

Please!

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I was joking. D-d-don't talk to my wife.

Please!Haha :rotfl:

Jim X-S
07-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Back decades ago when I was in the Army the various post that I was stationed at typically had hobby centers. I'm thinking with woodworking shops. You might want to consider building a cigar box ukulele with your husband. Plans are all over the place. Bunch of folks on this forum have built them. I know your husband has said you can purchase a Ukulele. But after trying to build a cigar box your husband might be 200&#37; for you purchasing one.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

p.s. welcome to the forum and the U.S.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Turns out someone just bought a $300 Kindle. I'm... angry. Sigh. I'm not sure I can get one as soon as I like now but at least I know which one I'd like

Jim X-S
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Ah, this you can handle!

Somewhere your husband has a pocket knife. If he doesn't then take one of your kitchen knives. Then get a piece of wood. I'd get like a 2" x 4" piece of construction grade lumber (non-treated) probably about $3.00. Then when your husband is at home, you work at carving the neck for your Ukulele. Tell him that you are making a cigar box ukulele. I think that would start the guilt complex big time in even the hardest of hearts. Plus on top of it I'm sure there are a whole bunch of people here that could advise you on the details.

You can make any size Ukulele you want. If your husband hasn't caved in by then.

By the way. Cigar box Guitars started during the depression. Folks would make guitars out of anything that could be used as a sound chamber. Like oil cans, pie plates, cigar boxes became popular. Cigar boxes are still relatively easy to get. You go to a cigar shop and ask them if they have any empty boxes. You want one that is wood preferably. They may charge you a $1.00 to $3.00 or they may give it to you for free if you smile nicely and tell them what you want to do with it.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Captain_Lovehandles
07-10-2009, 03:55 PM
And you'll be a senior member by the time you get one, so you'll probably be great on it.

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Lol thanks guys. It's hard being in a new city alone with no one to talk to when something like this happens... the joys of marriage! :D Your comments cheered me up.

Jim X-S
07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Are you living on base or off base?

Melissa82
07-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Are you living on base or off base?Off base in the middle of noooowhere

Jim X-S
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Off base in the middle of noooowhere

Unfortunate about the isolation. But ... but isolation can be a great breeding ground for creativity!

Have a Great Day,
Jim

sukie
07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
He bought a kindle and you get nothing? Me thinks something's wrong. For times like this you need to be strong. If Paul spends $300, so do I. Fair is fair. Not to be a woman (but I am) why does he get to buy stuff without asking you, but you can't do the same? Marriage is 50-50. Someday it is more like 90-10, but in the bigger picture we are to be EQUAL partners.

Sorry, i'll step off my box now...

P.S. get a KoAloha and you won't need another one.

Lori
07-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Since he got the Kindle without discussion, clearly you can get something of equal value without discussion. You might have to stagger your purchases, to make it work, but it is best for the relationship to keep things on a level ground. Otherwise, resentment and unhappiness can develop, and can stress your loving relationship. I have been married for 27 years, and my uke interest can go unchallenged, since my husband bought an expensive electric guitar and amp. For what he spent, I could have a pretty fair collection of ukuleles!

–Lori

Melissa82
07-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Well, not too get too personal but the money is for my immigration which NEEDS to be overnight shipped today. They take the money right away and payday isn't until Tuesday... so... yeah... I'm pissed.

sukie
07-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Best way I've found to get un-pissed is to sit down with my ukulele and play for awhile. It's really zen and therapeutic.

BrotherUke
07-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Melissa,
This does suck and I don't want to minimize it. I do know however, that sometimes these setbacks make the reward that much more satisfying.

I don't know you but I can tell you are passionate about this. I am sure that a Ukulele will be part of your life and once it arrives it will be that much more precious to you. My guess is that it will be sooner rather than later an all this disappointment will be behind you. YOU WILL GET INTO THIS! Once you find the right instrument it will all come together. That's what is happening to me right now. Then you can follow Sukie's advice and sit with your uke and be at peace. There will be more dissapointments but they are a lot easier to take with a ukulele in your lap! :shaka:

Melissa82
07-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Aww thanks! I'm hoping I can get a Uke next week!

I was talking to hubby and he was saying he wants an artistic wife who busts out the uke when friends are over... I'm going to try my hardest to do that, lol.

itsme
07-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, not too get too personal but the money is for my immigration which NEEDS to be overnight shipped today. They take the money right away and payday isn't until Tuesday... so... yeah... I'm pissed.
Huh? This post doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. What does your immigration have to do with it?

Honestly, I'm starting to think you sound like a bit of a spoiled brat. You are here, not working, living off your husband's military salary, and complaining that he doesn't give you enough to buy the toys you want to amuse yourself.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but a 50-50 relationship in marriage does not necessarily mean you can just spend his income indiscrimately when you are contributing nothing yourself. He's already paying the rent, utilities, food and other expenses.

seeso
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Huh? This post doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. What does your immigration have to do with it?

Honestly, I'm starting to think you sound like a bit of a spoiled brat. You are here, not working, living off your husband's military salary, and complaining that he doesn't give you enough to buy the toys you want to amuse yourself.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but a 50-50 relationship in marriage does not necessarily mean you can just spend his income indiscrimately when you are contributing nothing yourself. He's already paying the rent, utilities, food and other expenses.

Quit being a jerk.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14

BBcakes
07-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Did you read the whole thread??

Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions and freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, there's absolutely no need to be mean and judgmental. The heart of the thread is about what ukulele she should buy. If you don't have any suggestions, then just skip the thread and keep the negativity to yourself. Just my $.02...

itsme
07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Quit being a jerk.
How was my comment being a jerk?

What does she contribute to the household (financially) since she stated she doesn't work? Why should she expect her husband to buy her more toys when she's already shown she doesn't even play with the ones she has? Why does catching him smoking a cigarette have to equate with blackmail to get what she wants?

And BBcakes, yes, I read the whole thread. The OP is the one who brought all these issues into the thread.

BBcakes
07-11-2009, 08:43 PM
How was my comment being a jerk?

What does she contribute to the household (financially) since she stated she doesn't work? Why should she expect her husband to buy her more toys when she's already shown she doesn't even play with the ones she has? Why does catching him smoking a cigarette have to equate with blackmail to get what she wants?

And BBcakes, yes, I read the whole thread. The OP is the one who brought all these issues into the thread.

I do understand your point. However, whether true or not, your post comes across as somewhat of a "personal attack". It's easy for people to take it the wrong way and it also opens the door for more of a negative dialogue.

Sometimes in conversation, other "side topics" may come up. IMO, that's what a conversation is about; it's what makes it interesting (it can be interesting in a good way or bad way, depending on the person).

Bottom line, the meat and potatoes of the thread is regarding the ukulele. Right?

itsme
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Bottom line, the meat and potatoes of the thread is regarding the ukulele. Right?
Absolutely! :) And I'm sorry if I derailed it.

I'm looking forward to Melisisa getting her uke, whatever one that may be.

BBcakes
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
It's all love. :) Didn't wanna see everyone coming down on you for it, that's all.

nikolo727
07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Dont worry about the negative stuff said here melissa. You picked the sweetest,easiest,best instrument to learn how to play. if you dont have the cash, dont worry about it. I started playing a 40 dollar uke and after an entire year of playing it, i finally got a new one. Now its been almost 4 years of playing and i have 5, one of them that I made myself. What im trying to say is, if you only have the cash to buy an expensive one, go with the cheap'o and put some nice strings on it and you will be good to go! Go to musicguymic on ebay and look at the makalas. With the strings that he personally puts on there, the uke will sound very good for the price. let us know what you decide to do, and just remember that everything said on here is (hopefully) constructive. Have fun on the forums!

Nik

Melissa82
07-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Whatever, I'm used to crap like that. People always make judgments about people they don't know online. But then again, that's my fault for airing my dirty laundry! I'd tell the whole story and maybe then he'd think twice about what he said but it's not worth my time and I don't need to draw more attention to my dramatic thread, lol.

But yeah, I sent my immigration off last night and I hope they don't take the money before we get paid Tuesday, else wise it will be denied and I'm going back to Canada, ack.I'm also paranoid I made some mistakes cuz if you do, they don't care. They just take your $1500 and say too bad, so sad, lol. *crosses fingers*

seeso
07-12-2009, 04:38 AM
I'd tell the whole story and maybe then he'd think twice about what he said but it's not worth my time and I don't need to draw more attention to my dramatic thread, lol.

itsme is a she.

But yeah, I sent my immigration off last night and I hope they don't take the money before we get paid Tuesday, else wise it will be denied and I'm going back to Canada, ack.I'm also paranoid I made some mistakes cuz if you do, they don't care. They just take your $1500 and say too bad, so sad, lol. *crosses fingers*

Good luck!

Melissa82
07-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Sigh, she... ok.

I regret starting this thread. Sorry guys.

Lori
07-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Sigh, she... ok.

Don't be sorry. I think it is important to share our enthusiasm, and it is great that we can connect from great distances. I think a ukulele is just the thing for someone who has had to leave her home country, family and friends, and is embarking on a future where you can't control when and where you move. I think you will get great joy from the activity, and develop a skill at the same time. There is something about stringed instruments that is so satisfying.

–Lori

seeso
07-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Sigh, she... ok.

I'm not taking you to task! :)

Just pointing out itsme is a female, just like you.

seeso
07-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Absolutely! :) And I'm sorry if I derailed it.

I'm looking forward to Melisisa getting her uke, whatever one that may be.

No hard feelings. Thanks for being cool about it. :)

BrotherUke
07-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Let's see... 9 page thread with about 10 posts per page...ummmm... that's about 89 very positive supportive posts and one not so positive. That means that this was ...ummmm... a 98.9&#37; supportive thread. I, for one, am glad that you started it. ;)

BBcakes
07-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Don't be sorry. I think it is important to share our enthusiasm, and it is great that we can connect from great distances. I think a ukulele is just the thing for someone who has had to leave her home country, family and friends, and is embarking on a future where you can't control when and where you move. I think you will get great joy from the activity, and develop a skill at the same time. There is something about stringed instruments that is so satisfying.

–Lori

Amen Sistah Lori!

:shaka:

Melissa, I'm a Navy brat myself...grew up on Negishi Naval Base in Yokohama, Japan. Moved to San Francisco in 1990 and haven't been back yet. I do miss it, especially the closeness of a military community...those where the days!

tuscadero
07-12-2009, 09:37 AM
welcome to the USA and to Savannah, one of my FAVORITE cities!

While you're waiting to figure out your uke status, I would definitely poke around meetup.com and see if there are any uke groups in your area. There is a big art school, my alma mater, Savannah College of Art and Design right down in the historic district and I would bet my big toe that some of those SCAD students play uke. If you can hook up with some you may be able to locate a loaner, or buy a used instrument, or just make some friends in a new town.

Also, get yourself to Vinnie Van Go-Go's in City Market for a pizza or a calzone. It will cheer you up, promise!:p

Melissa82
07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Aww, thanks everyone! I guess being here by myself makes me a bit... dramatic and looney online sometimes, lol.

I actually found a couple of people in the area who are willing to help me out once I get a uke. It's just finding the time. Them musicians are always so busy. :P But yeah, meetup.com is a great idea. I'll check it out!

ricdoug
07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't worry, Melissa. Being a retired Marine with a wife from the Philippines, I know the red tape and frustration involved in gaining resident status. With your husband being military, it's a little faster process. The government already has his background and financial information. That makes for fewer steps in the verification process. Enjoy your ukulele adventures. The rest of us do, for sure! Ric

built
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
common guys... how about this?

there are more abt 20 of us here would like to see
melissa getting a ukulele and some even suggested
solid wood.

i would like to see melissa getting a ka-asmc ($210);
it's not too far off from the ka-cg ($127).

why not chip-in?

hi melissa,
do you have paypal account?

Melissa82
07-13-2009, 01:45 AM
common guys... how about this?

there are more abt 20 of us here would like to see
melissa getting a ukulele and some even suggested
solid wood.

i would like to see melissa getting a ka-asmc ($210);
it's not too far off from the ka-cg ($127).

why not chip-in?

hi melissa,
do you have paypal account?Aww, thanks a bunch but don't worry about it. It seems I have a ukulele coming my way. :D

built
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
i received a special message and i am very happy for you! :)

Melissa82
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
i received a special message and i am very happy for you! :)Thanks! I can't tell you how excited I am! This site is the best, I love you guys, lol! :D