Identifying this Gretsch Ukulele?

sinkcolinsink

Reaction score
I just bought a vintage Gretsch Ukulele from my local music store, and I was wondering if there is a way to identify it? Here's a picture:

Is there no label inside? Perhaps you could provide a close-up of what's on the headstock?

Looks like mahogany to me. :)

I'm hoping for solid mahogany as well, the uke is on lawaway now and as far as I can remember there weren't any labels inside the uke.

As far as solid vs. laminate, you can usually tell by looking at the edges of the soundhole.

But the real litmus test is... do you like it and is it worth what you're paying for it vs. what you could otherwise buy in that price range (new or used)? What is its condition?

Often instruments labeled "vintage" or "collector's items" are old junk not worth the cost of restoration to be properly playable.

What did the store tell you about it?

What should I look for at the edge of the soundhole? Yeah it sounded great love the feel and action.

What should I look for at the edge of the soundhole? Yeah it sounded great love the feel and action.
Because that's where it's cut, you should be able to see if the wood is solid or layered (laminated).

But if you love the feel and action and sound, isn't that what matters?

Hello,

I have a very similar Gretsch.
When I bought it I was told it was solid mahogany and from the 1950s.
What I love about it is its playability. Really fun to hold and play. Mine is not completly in tune up the neck, but has a nice bouncy sound.

Because that's where it's cut, you should be able to see if the wood is solid or layered (laminated).

But if you love the feel and action and sound, isn't that what matters?

Yeah that really is what matters, which is why I bought it without really researching first, I played it and knew it was for me.

It's good to know that it is solid mahogany though, also interesting that it could be 50+ years old!

Top Bottom