PDA

View Full Version : Captain Google Collaboration Project (Video on Page 10)

seeso
07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm posting a new thread for those of you who don't know about this project.

As most of you know, we lost a member recently. Vincent Daniel Rooney, or Captain Google as he was known on the boards, passed away on July 6th.

As a gesture of solidarity and tribute, some of us have decided to put together a video collaboration. The song choice is Iz' "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World."

All are welcome to join in this endeavor. You do not have to sing, you do not have to play. If the extent of your contribution to the project is just a few words in honor of Captain Google, that's enough.

If you do want to sing and/or play, please download this mp3:
http://www.box.net/shared/pmbupzcp63

Listen to the mp3 wearing headphones or earbuds and film yourself playing along to the mp3. When you're through, upload your video in the highest quality possible to an online file hosting site like mediafire.com or box.net. PM me the link, or simply post it in this thread. The same instructions pertain to those not singing or playing (minus the mp3 portion, of course).

Please be certain that you are using the same chords that are used in the mp3 I have provided.

Here's a link to download a PDF of the tablature that you can print out:
http://www.mediafire.com/?djmzjntazwm

And here are the chords in text format:

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Somewhere Over The Rainbow / What a Wonderful World

Intro:
| C | Em | Am | F |
| C | G | Am | Am7 |
| F | F |

Ooh…
| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
| F | F | E7 | E7 |
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C | C | Em | Em |
Somewhere over the rainbow
| F | F | C | C |
Way up high
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dream of
| G | G | Am | Am |
Once in a lullaby
| F | F |
I… Oh

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Bluebirds fly
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dream of
| G | G | Am | Am |
Dreams really do come true
| F | F |
Ooh…

| C | C | G | G |
Some day I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far
| Am | Am | F | F |
Behind me
| C | C | G | G |
Where trouble melts like lemon drops, high above the chimney top
| Am | Am | F | F |
That's where you'll find me

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Bluebirds fly
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dare to
| G | G | Am | Am
O Why, oh why can't I?
| F | F |
I…

| C | Em | F | C |
Well I see trees of green, and red roses too
| F | C | E7 | Am |
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
| F | F | G | G |
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C | Em | F | C |
Well I see skies of blue, and I see clouds of white
| F | C | E7 | Am |
And the brightness of day, I like the dark
| F | F | G | G |
| C | F | C | C |

| G | G | C | C |
The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
| G | G | C | C |
Are also on the faces of people passing by
| F | C | F | C |
I see friends shaking hands, saying, "How do you do?"
| F | C | Dm | Dm |
They're really saying, "I, I love you."
| G | G |

| C | Em | F | C |
I hear babies cry, and I watch them grow
| F | C | E7 | Am |
They'll learn much more than we'll know
| F | F | G | G |
| Am | Am | F | F |
World

| C | C | G | G |
Some day I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far
| Am | Am | F | F |
Behind me
| C | C | G | G |
Where trouble melts like lemon drops, high above the chimney top
| Am | Am | F | F |
That's where you'll find me

| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
Way up high
| F | F | C | C |
And the dreams that you dare to
| G | G | Am | Am
Why, oh why can't I?
| F | F |
I…

Ooh…
| C | C | Em | Em |
| F | F | C | C |
| F | F | E7 | E7 |
| Am | Am | F | F |

| C |

(Fade out…)

Thanks. I have set next Friday, July 17th as the date I'd like to have everyone's contribution in. If you need more time, please PM me.

RevWill
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Count me in. I'll try to have something up for you tomorrow.

Ahnko Honu
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
What! What happened? Oh no! That is such bad news! We had the love of anime in common besides the 'ukulele, always enjoyed his posts. Does he leave any family behind? I am so bummed! :(

seeso
07-09-2009, 06:04 PM
What! What happened? Oh no! That is such bad news! We had the love of anime in common besides the 'ukulele, always enjoyed his posts. Does he leave any family behind? I am so bummed! :(

I'm not sure, but I believe he had a battle with Muscular Dystrophy.

You can read the thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15949) in General Discussion or this thread (http://www.sevenlances.net/forum/index.php?topic=1267.0) that a friend of his shared with us for more information.

Here is his obituary from legacy.com:

Vincent Daniel Rooney
INWOOD, W.Va. – Vincent Daniel Rooney, age 19, went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 6, 2009, at the home of his grandparents.

He belonged to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He graduated from Musselman High School in Inwood.

Survivors include his mother, Veronica Lynn Rooney of Inwood; father, Stephen Allen Rooney and wife Judy of Bristol Virginia; maternal grandmother, Dorothy Kohnken of Inwood; paternal grandparents, Michael S. and Sandra Lea Rooney of Bristol Virginia; sisters, Breanne and Madison Childress; brothers, Stevie and Sammie Rooney; special uncle, David Rooney of Bristol Virginia; aunt, Jennifer Rooney; cousins, including Chauncey and Grace Rooney of Bristol; and many others.

A memorial service will be conducted at 1 p.m. Friday, July 10, 2009, in Akard Funeral Home Chapel, with Pastor Susan Fiedler officiating.

Memorials may be sent to the Bristol Life Saving Crew, P.O. Box 302, Bristol, VA 24201; Bristol Virginia Fire Department, 211 Lee St., Bristol, VA 24201; or Bristol Virginia Police Department, 501 Scott St., Bristol, VA 24201. E-mail condolences may be sent to the family at akardfh@akardfuneralhome.com.

Akard Funeral Home, 1912 W. State St., Bristol, Tenn., (423) 989-4800, is serving the family of Vincent.

If you'd like to leave a few words on his guestbook, you may do so here:
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookID=5854169876834

Dominator
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
This is sad news indeed. He was so young. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Link
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Just did mine. Will be sending it shortly.

Seeso, this is amazing. Thank you so much for taking the reigns on this and providing such a high quality recording to sing to. I couldn't not tear up so my singing was even worse than normal, but I had to be involved. He was such a positive guy, and one of my first and best friends here. But again thank you for doing this.

Ahnko Honu
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Mahalo Seeso for the details, and links. I'm still in shock, way too young, and way too nice a person, his presence is already missed. Such a great thing you're doing Seeso but I feel so stupid right now, I have no hardware, software, anything to get involved in this project, still in 70s 8-track mode with a SLOW ten year old computer.:confused::mad::(

GrumpyCoyote
07-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Such a shock... I'm speechless. Sweetest kid too.

Nice project - if I can get through it, I'm in.

buddhuu
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Good call, Seeso. Thanks for taking it on.

I don't really like to do vids that show me, but I'm in for this one as long as I can get done in time.

What a choker. :(

EDIT: And, of course, the ONLY possible song choice under the circumstances. Oy... it ain't going to be easy to get words out...

seeso
07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
For those of you without video capabilities, you can compose a short text message. I'll make sure that it's included in the video.

Thanks to Ukulele JJ for this idea.

grappler
07-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys for this idea. Ill be making my video soon. thanks seeso

tshirtandties
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
ive recorded my part (Y)

so sad to see another UU member die,especially since he was so young :(

may my condolences be with his family and friends

mike

AgentORC
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I didn't know CG, and I guess I won't get a chance to.:(
R.I.P. Captain Google.

A question about the song: Do you want us ladies to sing up the octave?
Some of those notes are a little bit out of my alto 2 range.

seeso
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
ive recorded my part (Y)

so sad to see another UU member die,especially since he was so young :(

may my condolences be with his family and friends

mike

Mike, I have not received your link. Have you sent it?

A question about the song: Do you want us ladies to sing up the octave?

Just do what's comfortable. It's up to you. Thanks.

sebi
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
i'm really sad to read this. my thoughts and prayers are with his family. i'll try to have something up by tomorrow.

thank you seeso for putting this together.

pebbleInDaPacific
07-10-2009, 11:59 AM
hey seeso,

is it ok that i record mine in low G? can you work with that? I know that everyone plays both ways, the other being with the standard re-entrant high G and C string as their bass note, but I feel more comfortable playing in low G. Is there a preference?

Denno
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
This is scary, I have been thinking about making a collab like this for a few days. Not for the same reason though, but the same song. I am in for sure.

SamWise
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm in, in the next couple of days.

seeso
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
hey seeso,

is it ok that i record mine in low G? can you work with that? I know that everyone plays both ways, the other being with the standard re-entrant high G and C string as their bass note, but I feel more comfortable playing in low G. Is there a preference?

Yes, that's fine. Mine is in low G also.

Lori
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think I could pull off a full performance in this short of time. But I could add some "B-roll" footage, if you're interested. I have some nice blue sky time-lapse photography (I used it on my "I can see clearly now" reggae contest entry). I could also shoot some other shots, if you can think of anything... like close-ups of right or left hand playing ukulele(s). I am not far from the ocean, so that is an option, as well as urban, and other LA locals. The footage is HD, so the quality is pretty good. Give it some thought, and let me know.

–Lori

seeso
07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't think I could pull off a full performance in this short of time. But I could add some "B-roll" footage, if you're interested. I have some nice blue sky time-lapse photography (I used it on my "I can see clearly now" reggae contest entry). I could also shoot some other shots, if you can think of anything... like close-ups of right or left hand playing ukulele(s). I am not far from the ocean, so that is an option, as well as urban, and other LA locals. The footage is HD, so the quality is pretty good. Give it some thought, and let me know.

–Lori

Whatever you'd like to contribute to the project is great. Thanks, Lori.

AnnaUK
07-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Even though I hadn't got to know Capt Google much, I'd love to be a part of this.

Thank you Seeso, for the opportunity.

DeG
07-11-2009, 11:20 AM

–Lori

I recording mine in front of a green screen, so any footage you contibute could be mixed into the background...

Lori
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I recording mine in front of a green screen, so any footage you contibute could be mixed into the background...
Hey, that would be great!

–Lori

RON<>VA
07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
seeso, JosueGroundHog was visiting in Richmond and came by the house so we could do a short video (speaking) for the CG tribute. I just pm the link to you.

Thanks for your work on this project.

I would encourage any of our UU family to click on the link in this tread and leave a message on the guestbook for his family and friends to read.

CoffeeMate
07-11-2009, 05:46 PM
This is amazing! I'm sure his loved ones will appreciate the jesture. If it is possible it would be nice too send a hard copy to his parents. I don't know if we will have internet capabilities next week, but if I do I will do something. I was just thinking about him a day or two before we found out. I always loved reading his posts, great sense of humor, kind. He sure seemed like a sweet kid.

seeso
07-13-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey guys, just another reminder that a short video message is welcome in lieu of a playing/singing video.

Thanks.

If it is possible it would be nice too send a hard copy to his parents.

A hard copy is a great idea. I'll make sure it happens.

SinisterDom
07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
I really wish I would have gotten to know him better. I also always enjoyed his posts. I only live around 20 minutes from where his wife is from. Rest in peace, CG.

deach
07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I really wish I would have gotten to know him better. I also always enjoyed his posts. I only live around 20 minutes from where his wife is from. Rest in peace, CG.

He was married?

SinisterDom
07-13-2009, 07:27 AM
He was married?

No, his dad.

seeso
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Everyone who sent me stuff so far:

AgentORC
AnnaUK
Bratset
buddhu
casetone
DeG
Dominator
dominicfoundthemooon
generem
HaileISela
haole
josuegroundhog
Lori
nukeDOC
RevWill
RON<>VA
tshirtandties
UKISOCIETY
Ukulele JJ
ukeshale

olesneaker
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
seeso, if you can use any videos of Vince in this, check my Facebook page. request friend status ( you or anyone here) by putting "UU" in the request message.
Thanks!
Mike Rooney
Vince's Pepaw

buddhuu
07-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Seeso, please check your PM.

Thanks.

mctrmt
07-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm shocked, and very sad, to hear this news. Captain Google will be missed!

seeso
07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Two things:

I won't be able to work on this until Monday, so you guys have until Sunday to get something in.

I'm short on spoken messages. Can those of you who have recorded give me 5-10 seconds of a spoken message (except Ron and Josh)?

Here's everyone who has sent me something so far:

AgentORC
AnnaUK
Bratset
buddhu
casetone
DeG
Dominator
dominicfoundthemooon
generem
HaileISela
haole
josuegroundhog
Lori
nukeDOC
RevWill
RON<>VA
tshirtandties
UKISOCIETY
Ukulele JJ
ukeshale

If I missed anyone, please let me know. They came fast and furious toward the end of the week, so I might have missed one here or there.

Thanks.

CoLmes
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Did you get a chance to see if our vid was the right tempo?

buddhuu
07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks again, Seeso. You taking this on just confirms that you're one of the good guys (as we knew already).

HaileISela
07-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I got a short spoken message in the end of my video. call me if it's not enough

seeso
07-19-2009, 03:47 AM
I got a short spoken message in the end of my video. call me if it's not enough

It's enough, thanks Richard.

Buddhu, the message at the beginning of your video is also good.

buddhuu
07-19-2009, 12:54 PM
It's enough, thanks Richard.

Buddhu, the message at the beginning of your video is also good.

Thanks. A bit short, I know, but I'm rubbish at speeches.

seeso
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks. A bit short, I know, but I'm rubbish at speeches.

That's all it needs to be.

seeso
07-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I've been working on this for the last couple hours. It's hard to keep from choking up. I hope I can give all of your performances their due. They're all beautiful.

dominicfoundthemooon
07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I've been working on this for the last couple hours. It's hard to keep from choking up. I hope I can give all of your performances their due. They're all beautiful.

seeso you are a good soul... i thought that before... and i think it more now... i am sure what you come up with will be something great.. and something all friends and family will treasure... thanks for doing it.... and letting us all be a part.. we only have a short time on this earth and its how we treat people that matters.. it's not about who loved you.. it's about how you loved others... i think you are one of those that fits that quote...

d

Spooner
07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
If I was around when this all happened I would have gladly submitted something.

I didn't know the Cap'n too well but it's just such a tragedy. :(

Dominator
07-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Seeso,
I sent you the words. The video was small enough that I just emailed it to you. Hopefully, you got it Ok.

BrotherUke
07-20-2009, 04:27 AM
I wish I had the skills to do this justice. I too am moved by this story and the good people here that are doing this. I know most of you only from the short time that I have been participating here. Those on the list of participants are talented people with a good and generous heart. I think the good Captain will be very pleased indeed. This is an example of Aloha Mahalo that we will all learn something from. Thanks Seeso!

Bratset
07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
seeso you are a good soul... i thought that before... and i think it more now... i am sure what you come up with will be something great.. and something all friends and family will treasure... thanks for doing it.... and letting us all be a part.. we only have a short time on this earth and its how we treat people that matters.. it's not about who loved you.. it's about how you loved others... i think you are one of those that fits that quote...

d

I second that! so true!

seeso
07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, here's a rough mix of the audio:

http://www.box.net/shared/3292fzo0lx

There's still a bit of tweaking to do. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions so far. Here are the players/singers in order of appearance:

seeso
Dominator
DeG
Ukulele JJ
RevWill
NukeDOC
casetone2514
UKISOCIETY
MonMon87

Then everybody comes in:

AgentORC
AnnaUK
Bratset
buddhu
dominicfoundthemooon
generem
HaileISela
haole
NatalieLin6
tshirtandties
ukeshale

At the "ooh's," these are the spoken tributes in order of appearance:

Ron<>VA
josuegroundhog
Buddhu
ukeshale
Dominator
dirka
HaileISela
Bratset

At the very end, I put in a snippet of Vince playing his first ukulele. Olesneaker, if you'd rather not have that snippet in there, please let me know. I read your earlier post offering the use of your video on Facebook, so I took the opportunity.

In the video, I'll make sure to include the videos, pictures and words from the following:

Lori
NatalieLin6
glittster

Please let me know if I missed anyone or anything, and also any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks.

Dirka
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
It made me cry. I wish I coulda played.

I'm sure Vince is smiling now. :shaka:

khrome
07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
It made me cry. I wish I coulda played.

I'm sure Vince is smiling now. :shaka:

Same here. Waterworks started at the spoken parts. You did a great job mixing that, Seeso.

ukeshale
07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
this is truly beautiful. thanks so much for taking the time to do this, seeso. so much love has gone into this and it really shows

sukie
07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow! That's a touching piece of music. Thanks to all who contributed. His family must be given a copy of this. Incredible.

jmmquah
07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Well done to everybody involved...this is utterly beautiful and heartbreaking

UkuleleHill
07-21-2009, 10:15 AM
This was beautiful! Thank you all who contributed!

AgentORC
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
It was really touching. I was crying at the end.

AnnaUK
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
That really got me at the end. I was so choked up. Such a beautiful tribute. Truly beautiful. Seeso, you've done a great job.

I believe Captain Google had been affected by Muscular Dystrophy (please correct me if I got that wrong).
I hope this isn't inappropriate to put here, but for the UK-based peeps, if you use a Tesco ATM they will donate money to the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign. It's only a fraction of a penny, but it all adds up.

(I am nothing to do with Tesco, and I'm not advertising for them, so I hope this is ok to put here. If this is inappropriate, mods please feel free to delete my post.)
http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/help/muscular-dystrophy-campaign.html

Best wishes
Anna

buddhuu
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow.

Thank you, Seeso.

RevWill
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
When the whole choir joins in, chillbumps - big time. Great work Seeso

Dominator
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks so much Seeso. I was moved near the end as well. You have invested a ton of your time into this and it is much appreciated by those of us here at UU and I'm sure Vincent's family will appreciate it also.

itsme
07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
That was absolutely brilliant, seeso! It's like 100 degrees here today and I've got goosebumps. Can't wait to see the video. :shaka:

generem
07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Sesso.. You did a great Job.

Made my cry also. So proud to be a part of this Collab

Jimmy
07-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't really know what to say. A sweet tune played by sweet people. Good work.

RON<>VA
07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Feeling the Underground love

Wonderful tribute

Thank you to everyone

And to seeso!

dnewton2
07-21-2009, 02:50 PM
That is truely beautiful. It gave me goosebumps first then I teared up towards the end.

Great job seeso and everyone that contributed.

Ukulele JJ
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Great job, Seeso! I was expect just simple cuts between everyone's versions, but the crossfades are brilliant. It really makes it seem like we're "passing a baton" from performer to performer, connecting us all the more in this message.

I was also touched by hearing all the different accents at the end. It underscored the sheer global scope of the circle of friends CG drew to himself.

I'm sure Vince would just love the fact that he inspired so many of us to come together with each other and (with Seeso's enormous help) create something like this.

JJ

UKISOCIETY
07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm in complete awe of your work, Seeso. That was not anything like I could have imagined. It was more than I could have dreamed it to be. The choir at the end made me stop breathing for a moment. I was deeply, deeply moved. Your a gifted artist, Narciso!

haole
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Dude, that was absolutely beautiful. To me, it's even more powerful than the Iz version. I seriously got shivers when the whole thing kicked in. Good things happen when good people come together for a good cause.

pigwig
07-21-2009, 04:21 PM
That was 1000x beautiful. I'm pretty new and didn't know Vince, but even I got misty at that tribute. R.I.P.

Bratset
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
So beatiful!
It's realy great work you're doing here Seeso!

dominicfoundthemooon
07-22-2009, 12:07 AM
no words........

glittster
07-22-2009, 03:15 AM
Wow.... now I've dried my tears away I can type. That was so moving and so beautiful. I'm at work and just took 10 mins out to listen and tell my Mum (who's also my boss and was sat opposite me listening) all about CG and you guys and she was in floods of tears too. I don't think I've ever been moved by something on the internet quite like that. The love you have all shown just shone through.

Thank you

PS You lot are all making me seriously consider learning to play the uke, partly as a way of honouring CG's memory and also so I can take a more active part in this forum, you lot are so lovely!

smgold101
07-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Seeso...you are truley something else. You didnt have to do any of this and went above and beyond...Im sure Captain Google is lookin down from heaven playing and singing along with all you guys. His family is going to appreciate this more than words can express im sure. Great job to all.
*Only the good die young*
Rest in Peace Vincent-2009

Zaranthos
07-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Okay, here's a rough mix of the audio:

Nice work.

SamWise
07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I was so sorry to be away when this was going on. I think I'll make my own individual version and post it anyway, which is better than nothing. Sounds wonderful Seeso

CG's Dad
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Yup... Still crying... It's beautiful. I can't wait to see the video, too...

Bratset
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM

So glad you liked it!

dominicfoundthemooon
07-22-2009, 09:30 PM

hey CG's DAD welcome to UU.. it was great to get to know your son here.. and i am glad you liked to song.. and i hope you like the video.. your son will be missed.. and you can see how much of a family here at UU...

my thoughts and prayers are with you..

d

buddhuu
07-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Welcome .

BrotherUke
07-23-2009, 01:29 AM

I think you'll find that this is a good place for healing. The music does wonders for everyone's soul.

kailua
07-23-2009, 03:31 AM
Just listened to it. WHEW!!! WOW!!! HEART WRENCHING!!! Congrats everyone who participated. Seeso you da man.

RevWill
07-23-2009, 04:41 AM
I hadn't been here long enough to know Captain Google very well, but I did quickly recognize him as a kind, clever, good-spirited individual.

I try to define my role here as that of a uke enthusiast who just happens to be a pastor - I keep religion and faith out of my discussions at UU. But to participate in a healing ritual such as this seemed the pastoral thing to do.

olesneaker
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Seeso, I don't know what to say - you folks have got so many people in Bristol crying... it's beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product!! Feel free to use any clips I have - would you like some stills of Vince and our famioly to add? I'll do what I can to help - but I'm still learning all this electronic stuff, so be patient...
Woul you believe I taught computers and DOS to adults in the early 90's, and now the kids teach me!
Anyway, just wanted to say Thanks for all your work and to all the UU folks who contributed! I'm speechless - and CG would have told you that freakin' rare for me!
Thanks!
Mike ( Peepaw)

seeso
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Mike,

I think a picture of the family would be great! Thanks so much. You can send them to me at:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1989/emailj.gif

I'm still working on the final video... it shouldn't be too much longer. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Narciso.

Bratset
07-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm still working on the final video... it shouldn't be too much longer. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Narciso.

Thanks you for doing this great work Seeso!

olesneaker
07-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Seeso, I was just putting some things away, and wondered if, after all your effort, you would like a laminated copy of Vince's obituary? I won't be hurt if you don't - just offering...
if so, email me your address or a PO box at:
mikeyroon@aol.com

Mike

LonnaB
07-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Wonderful job on this everyone! What a beautiful way to honor a friend.

olesneaker
07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
To echo Vince's last words; Wow is the word!
Do you realize how hard it is to cry and smile at the same time?
I just re-read all your posts, here and on the original thread, and I can see Vince (CG) sitting or running - hell, he can do what he wants now- and just enjoying the heck out of all this! He knew what I'm learning about all of his UU friends. You are ALL as special as he was, each in your own way. He was SO blessed! We needn't have worried about him... He was covered any way he went. It is so great to see all the good things you all wrote about him!
All I can say is WoW, and Thank you thank you thank you!
Mike:shaka:

ukulelearp
07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
That's really great, I wish I would've seen this sooner so I could participate. But you really did a great job everyone and I think it's a really nice way to remember. And I gotta say, the chorus toward the end was amazing.

buddhuu
07-26-2009, 12:23 AM
[...] Do you realize how hard it is to cry and smile at the same time? [...]

I just found that out when I read your post, Mike.

It is a privilege to contribute to this memorial. I didn't know Vince very well, but he was one of those guys whose name you always seemed to see every visit to UU. For some of us, a lot of the impact has come from learning about Vince since he passed on. The fact that he was so young really hit me. I have three kids all older than Vince was. Had things fallen differently, my family could have been in your position. A sobering thought.

I read up on the illness that shortened Vince's life - I knew nothing about it before. There's no way I can make this sound like anything but a cliche, but it really does make me realise how lucky I am, and how difficult things are for other people.

Even in his passing Vince has contributed to Ukulele Underground by bringing us all closer together.

It means a lot to see you here. I hope we can give some small comfort.

Ahnko Honu
07-26-2009, 01:15 AM
My apologies for not being able to contribute to this effort, I am so challenged electronically as far as hardware, and knowledge to do recordings and post them. I'm still working on the chords for "Raspberry Heaven" a song that Vincent wanted so badly to learn on 'ukulele. Hopefully I can get this done and have the ability to record it by the end of fall. Again, my apologies to everyone.

HaileISela
07-26-2009, 01:35 AM
wow, that raw edited version gave me shivers...

mahalo to all the contributors.

seeso
07-28-2009, 08:43 PM
I have just received word from CG's family that it's okay to publish the video. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZknGc7eDmI

Everyone did an amazingly beautiful job. I hope I was able to capture some of that beauty in the project.

If anyone would like to add something to the description area, let me know.

Glittster, I put your message to CG in the description area. My apologies, I hope that's sufficient. It was the only place I could fit it in.

Bratset
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I have just received word from CG's family that it's okay to publish the video. You can see it here:

Everyone did an amazingly beautiful job. I hope I was able to capture some of that beauty in the project.

Glittster, I put your message to CG in the description area. My apologies, I hope that's sufficient. It was the only place I could fit it in.

Thanks for putting so much effort into this Seeso, I bet it's wonderful! I am going to go home and watch it in luch. (work have blocked YT)

HaileISela
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Wow, I'm speechless. Listening to it was already touching, but that video made my eyes drop a tear.

buddhuu
07-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, Seeso. That's a spectacular job you did on everyone's behalf. Thank you very much.

Why did I make the mistake of watching in the office? A sobbing buddhu kind of attracts attention...

Amazing. You people are all great.

ukeshale
07-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Well done, Seeso. Really moving

UkeNinja
07-29-2009, 12:47 AM
That is an awesome video. Nice editing and coordination by you, seeso. Great performance and touching messages by the participants. EPIC!

How about featuring this baby on the UU front page for a while?

buddhuu
07-29-2009, 12:49 AM
[...]

Great idea.

Bratset
07-29-2009, 12:51 AM

Awesome idea!

HaileISela
07-29-2009, 01:08 AM

I was actually already waiting for this to happen...

whetu
07-29-2009, 02:34 AM

If it's not too much to ask: was there any other feedback from the family?

And if it's any use, I passed the link on to a workmate of mine who is skeptical about the Ukulele and the community that follows it, and she was in tears for most of the afternoon.

I thought it was a great job, by the way. This has to be the single most brilliant collaborative effort I've seen the UU community rise to.

BrotherUke
07-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Wow... what a way to start the day. We all have so much to be thankful for. Especially today for the UU people who did this for Vincent and his family. Rest in Peace Captain!

olesneaker
07-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Whetu, Meemaw and myself loved the raw video, as did my sons, both CG's Dad and his unkle David, and their wives, etc. All the work that everyone did, and the love that shone from the collaboration video, is definitely appreciated! CG's mom in W.Va. is still having a really hard time, Vince was the center and focus of her daily life for 19 years. She knew this was coming, as we did, but I can't imagine how it's treating her now. She did such a wonderful job raising Vince ( I know, it takes a village, but she was the Chief!) and caring for him, we all have been kind of sensitive to her feelings. I KNOW the finished video will really show her how everyone felt about Vince! Her mother said she will show her the video when she feels up to it.
I am in the same boat as a lot of you, i have to wait until I get home to watch the video... blocked Youtube here also.
I will comment more then.:D
Thanks!
Mike ( Pepaw)

Dominator
07-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Seeso, you have done such a wonderful job on this very important and meaningful project. Can't thank you enough as I know it took loads of time to put it all together. The audio was so moving on its own but the finished video just makes it all that more powerful. Thanks to each and everyone of you that contributed to this effort.

AnnaUK
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Thank you Seeso, for all the time you've put into making this happen.
Total legend. Mahalo.

CG's Dad
07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Terrific work, seeso. It really is a wonderful and loving tribute to a young man whose love knew no bounds. Thank you so much.

To everyone else involved in this project: your ideas, video and audio contributions, personal messages, and warm wishes are all the shining gems that make up this work of art. You all have my deepest gratitude for getting involved. You all should be as proud of yourselves as I am of you and Vince.

You have all made the healing process a little easier for all of us, and I feel that I've gained some friends to boot. Much love to you all.

sukie
07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I applaud everyone who helped in the production. It's incredibly beautiful. Seeso, you made an absolutely terrific video and you should be proud.
Hats off to all.:bowdown:

itsme
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Wow, I'm speechless. Listening to it was already touching, but that video made my eyes drop a tear.
Yeah, words just can't express how it made me feel.

Hey, what can we do to take this viral? If "United Breaks Guitars" or that silly wedding dance clip can get millions of views, let's make this a hit that'll have people celebrating the life of Captain Google, the joy of uke, and awareness of Muscular Dystrophy.

Pippin, didn't you know that guy at the L.A. Times who wrote the recent uke article? Maybe you could contact him about doing a follow-up on the true sense of community generated by such a diverse group of uke lovers?

And for all of you with a Facebook or Myspace page, maybe you could add it?

Dirka
07-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Wow. Just wow.

CoffeeMate
07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't know what to say, too beautiful for words to express.

DeG
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks Seeso, fantastic job on the editing. What a great tribute.

Trenchcoatangel
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I've been trying to decide whether it's appropriate or not for me to post here as I am new to the board. But I am in awe of A) the talent here B) and more importantly the sense of community here. I've never gotten all misty eyed following a forum thread or you tube video before, but this one sure did. It is nice to see there are still people who genuinely care out there. Along with that I did not know Captain Google, but considering all that you guys did here, I can only assume he's someone special that I wish I could have gotten to know. My prayers go out to his family and all his friends.

khrome
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
This is so beautiful. Thanks to all of you that were involved, especially Seeso - it was truly wonderful.

RON<>VA
07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Thank you seeso and to everyone for your noble efforts.

We are pleased that CG chose to share a part of his life with us as he was passing through . . .

lisaxy424
07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
You all are amazing - thank you for sharing this with us :)

Lori
07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Beautiful job Seeso! I know how difficult editing is, and I appreciate all the effort that you put into this project. It's people like you that make the world a better place.

–Lori

Dominator
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
It's people like you that make the world a better place.
–Lori

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is such a true statement.

cocohonk
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
ditto that.

Pippin
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I missed this post. Thank you itsme for pointing it out. I will put a reference to it in Ukulele Player Magazine, but we will also "Tweet" it to the world in Twitter. I will contact Dan Fost at the LA Times and spread the word. I'll also forward the video to Louis Wu at Ohana and maybe it can be added to Ohana's list of videos. "Ohana" meaning family and all.

Rest In Peace, Captain Google.

Pippin
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
As a follow-up. I forwarded this to my wife and she will "tweet" it on Twitter. I forwarded the link to Dan Fost at the LA Times. I also forwarded the link to Louis Wu at Ohana Ukes. I will send the link to Ukulelia. Uke Hunt follows us on Twitter, so, Al will most likely post something about it.

I hope that contributes to getting this video viral.

RIP Captain Google.

added... I have added a link to the video in Ukulele Player Magazine and wrote a little about the video, Seeso, the UU members that contributed.

SeanKy671
07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
This is really beautiful
I just wish I could have helped
I really love to contribute to things like this
Not seeing Captain Google on the threads anymore is gonna be different
RIP Captain Google

HaileISela
07-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I've been trying to decide whether it's appropriate or not for me to post here as I am new to the board. But I am in awe of A) the talent here B) and more importantly the sense of community here. I've never gotten all misty eyed following a forum thread or you tube video before, but this one sure did. It is nice to see there are still people who genuinely care out there. Along with that I did not know Captain Google, but considering all that you guys did here, I can only assume he's someone special that I wish I could have gotten to know. My prayers go out to his family and all his friends.

the fact that you posted this here only shows that you're on the best way to make UU become an even better community.

I <3 UU!

SeanKy671
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Yes, I agree with HailelSela
People like you are who care enough to take time to view this, and to make this comment are the people who will make UU an even stronger community.
And can only assume you are definitely welcome to post in this section.

CG's Dad
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM

I agree as well. I was welcomed here just days ago, in my time of need; I'd like to return the favor by saying "Welcome to UU" to you. I think you'll like it here. I know I do.

olesneaker
07-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Pippin, I just emailed the link to the video to the MDA - we may see it on the MDA website, and on the Labor Day Telethon!
Thank you!!
Mike (Pepaw)

OrangeUke
07-30-2009, 07:03 AM

This is beautiful...
I love UU

glittster
07-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Seeso, thats more than fine! The video was absolutely wonderful... I felt so proud watching you all on it, even though I barely know you guys. It just made me feel like the world is a smaller, better place when people can come together like that and achieve so much for someone they cared about. The bit at the end that fades into Vince took my breath away... lovely touch!!

The love and friendship you all share on here continues to blow me away. I'm sticking around, it's a great thing to be part of

nikolo727
07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
how did I miss this... RIP Captain Google. I wish i had been on to help and im sorry that i didnt. i cried about this last night. Such a young age. :(. May god rest his soul.

Tommy B
07-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not a regular on this board, but I just had to log on to say "Bravo" and heartfelt condolences. I don't know most of you, and I didn't know Captain Google, but this tribute is absolute beautiful and heartbreaking. Thank you.

Spooner
07-30-2009, 05:40 PM
The video tribute turned out great.
My hats off to everyone who participated.

It was most definitely touching.
Great job everyone!

Sail on Cap! :(

itsme
07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Pippin, I just emailed the link to the video to the MDA - we may see it on the MDA website, and on the Labor Day Telethon!
Thank you!!
Mike (Pepaw)

Let's hope! :)

I'm working on some viral marketing as well.

The folks over at www.parentprojectmd.org ("Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD) is the largest nonprofit organization in the United States focused entirely on Duchenne") were kind enough to respond already saying they'd posted it to their Twitter and Facebook and included it in their RSS feed. :)

I've also posted at a couple non-uke forums where the threads have gotten several hundred hits. All responses have been 100% positive, like grown men admitting to crying over how much it touched them.

Will work at it some more tomorrow and keep you up to date with any results.

BBcakes
07-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Beautiful! I burst into tears, especially at the end... My son watched it with me and has now been inspired to learn the uke.

Thanks to all who participated in the collab. I truly am honored to be a part of a community that is so caring and giving!

Rest In Paradise, Captain Google...

seeso
07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Fantastic effort in spreading Vince's story, everyone. :shaka:

You know, I get a lot of comments about how long it must have taken for me to do this project, and it did take some time, but it didn't take as long as it might have.

Everything was perfect about this project. I had 20 video contributions, which fit perfectly on the screen in a 5 x 4 grid.

Ron and Josh's spoken video part was the perfect length. It fit perfectly between the beginning of the 'ooh' section and the start of Ukulele JJ's vocal runs.

There were other smaller serendipitous occurrences during the creation of this project, too.

It was crazy. It seemed like everything was perfect. All I had to do was stitch everything together.

So, just know that I didn't have to do too much. It was all there already.

HaileISela
07-31-2009, 12:25 AM

You know, I get a lot of comments about how long it must have taken for me to do this project, and it did take some time, but it didn't take as long as it might have.

Everything was perfect about this project. I had 20 video contributions, which fit perfectly on the screen in a 5 x 4 grid.

Ron and Josh's spoken video part was the perfect length. It fit perfectly between the beginning of the 'ooh' section and the start of Ukulele JJ's vocal runs.

There were other smaller serendipitous occurrences during the creation of this project, too.

It was crazy. It seemed like everything was perfect. All I had to do was stitch everything together.

That's what makes me believe that there is a higher force on this small planet that puts things in order.

Chinthe
07-31-2009, 01:33 AM
Today I came across your video tribute to Captain Google on YouTube (via Twitter) and just wanted to say how moved and inspired I was by it.

I'm an absolute beginner - have no previous musical knowledge, got my hands on my first uke two days ago and registered here straight away.

My fingers are red and tingling, I can only play Happy Birthday VERY badly, but I'm hooked and have learnt so much here already.

Thank you - I obviously stumbled on the right place. :music:

Bratset
07-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Today I came across your video tribute to Captain Google on YouTube (via Twitter) and just wanted to say how moved and inspired I was by it.

I'm an absolute beginner - have no previous musical knowledge, got my hands on my first uke two days ago and registered here straight away.

My fingers are red and tingling, I can only play Happy Birthday VERY badly, but I'm hooked and have learnt so much here already.

Thank you - I obviously stumbled on the right place. :music:

Glad you have begun playing Uke, this realy is the place to be then!
Greensleves is also a nice fingerpicked beginners tune!

buddhuu
07-31-2009, 03:47 AM
I have told the main UK Muscular Dystrophy charity, http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/, about the tribute, and asked them to contact me if they have any questions.

Can we maybe use the description field of the video to link to a couple of the MD organisations/charities? Or to a thread on UU where we can list them?

In the hope that the mods agree, I have taken the liberty of starting a thread to list them (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019) at http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019.

If this is a bad idea then please delete, amend or move as appropriate. It just seemed kind of an obvious thing to do. Apologies if I am being pushy or overstepping any lines. I find that kind of thing hard to judge sometimes.

CG's Dad
07-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Now that you mention it, Buddhu, it's kinda odd that nobody thought of that. You would think it would have been obvious. Good call.

UKISOCIETY
07-31-2009, 04:12 AM

I hope everyone can listen to the video with headphones - notice that Seeso has each player move audibly from left to right as they appear and disappear on screen. Well thought out and expertly done, Narciso!!:shaka:

RON<>VA
07-31-2009, 04:28 AM
I have told the main UK Muscular Dystrophy charity, http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/, about the tribute, and asked them to contact me if they have any questions.

Can we maybe use the description field of the video to link to a couple of the MD organisations/charities? Or to a thread on UU where we can list them?

In the hope that the mods agree, I have taken the liberty of starting a thread to list them (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019)at http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019.

If this is a bad idea then please delete, amend or move as appropriate. It just seemed kind of an obvious thing to do. Apologies if I am being pushy or overstepping any lines. I find that kind of thing hard to judge sometimes.

Great idea. And, it's OK to be "pushy" for Captain Google!

seeso
07-31-2009, 07:15 AM

I put a few links in the description field.

In the hope that the mods agree, I have taken the liberty of starting a thread to list them (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019) at http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185019#post185019.

No, it's a good idea. It should be moved to "General," though. I'll move it over there.

The only reason I didn't list any Muscular Dystrophy-related organizations in the description field or at the end of the video was because CG didn't mention it in his list of charities.

Pippin
07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
I contacted Louis Wu at Ohana Ukuleles and they will put it on their website next week.

I also posted the link at Cosmos and FMM. Twitter reactions were good and lots of people are moved by the video. Thanks again, Seeso and all contributors.

Thumper
08-01-2009, 06:47 AM
What a wonderful tribute.

buddhuu
08-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Seeso. :)

Gaby
08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Seeso, you're a legend!

It brought tears to my eyes.

I was wondering if you could provide the contributors in order of appearance? I noticed the list of the rough edit, is it the same?

seeso
08-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I was wondering if you could provide the contributors in order of appearance? I noticed the list of the rough edit, is it the same?

In order of appearance

Video contribution from Lori (clouds)
Seeso
Dominator
DeG
Ukulele JJ
RevWill
NukeDOC
casetone2514
UKISOCIETY
MonMon87

After Monique (MonMon87), from left to right we have:

Top row: Ukulele JJ, Anna UK, Lori, DeG, UKISOCIETY
2nd row: Dominator, HaileISela, Buddhu, dominicfoundthemooon, haole
3rd row: NatalieLin6, Bratset, RevWill, MonMon87, tshirtandties
Bottom row: ukeshale, AgentORC, NukeDOC, casetone2514, seeso

Spoken portions in order of appearance:

Ron<>VA and josuegroundhog
Buddhu
ukeshale (audio only)
Dominator
Dirka
HaileISela
Bratset

At the very end there is a picture of a rainbow from NatalieLin6. It coincidentally appeared right after she filmed her contribution.

Ukulele JJ
08-02-2009, 04:33 AM
In order of appearance

Video contribution from Lori (clouds)

Those clouds were brilliant. I though you were using some professional stock footage that you had purchased, Seeso. No idea that they came from a UU'er.

Good job, Lori! :shaka:

JJ

Lori
08-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Those clouds were brilliant. I though you were using some professional stock footage that you had purchased, Seeso. No idea that they came from a UU'er.

JJ

Thanks! Glad I could contribute to the project.

–Lori

seeso
08-02-2009, 07:12 AM

JJ

I agree, JJ. The clouds are perfect. Lori, did you know that Vince's brother refers to our video as "the cloud video?" :D

seeso
08-02-2009, 07:51 AM
I forgot to mention - at the very end there is a picture of a rainbow from NatalieLin6. It coincidentally appeared right after she filmed her contribution.

Playscool39
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Just red the post. Wish his family and friends all the best in this difficult time.

All you guys did a great job! A beautiful tribute to a (didn't know him personally, but I bet he was and still is) a great guy.

R.I.P. Vincent aka "CaptainGoolge"

kailua
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
WOW!!! Speechless. Awesome job everyone. On behalf of all UU members, thank you. Rest in peace Captain Google.

Heavenguard
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey guys. I don't think I've really posted much around here before (I haven't touched my uke in quite some time, I confess), but I saw your tribute on YouTube (it was posted on Reddit), and I just wanted to come by to say thank you for doing it. I think the world is a slightly nicer place by capturing a bit of Captain Google for everyone who knew him, and giving everyone who didn't get to know him the benefit of catching a glimpse of him through some beautiful uke playing. You brought tears to my eyes.

RyanMFT
08-03-2009, 05:38 PM
What a stunning and beautiful tribute. I feel lucky to be part of a community that would create this.

Best to you Captain Google.

Richie Rich
08-04-2009, 07:14 AM
My hat's off to all of you who helped with this project - Seeso, Dominator, everyone! UU is indeed a special place. The tribute was a VERY SPECIAL THING YOU ALL DID! BEAUTIFUL! This was an example of Man kind at its very best.

R.I.P. Captain Google - you touched a lot of people's lives here at UU. You will be missed.

My very best thanks to all who were involved!

Jerry K
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi, I am a new member here. I learned some uke playing on an instrument my folks got for me while they were on vacation in Hawai 40 odd years ago and within a year or two switched to guitar. Now I am getting interested in playing ukulele again and happened across this site. I was really moved by the video tribute to Captain Google. What a warm, loving bunch of people! Captain Google was lucky to have such good friends.

Uncle-Taco
08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Deeply, deeply moving, you guys. Seeso's singing never ceases to amaze me, and the heart-felt performances are a beautiful gift to CG's family. I got to UU late, and it looks like I missed a terrific guy.

veep
08-07-2009, 04:00 PM
great job on the video .

glittster
08-08-2009, 07:29 AM
http://fabchart.tripod.com/

You lot made a chart! Number one no less!!

seeso
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM

I saw that! Pretty cool. :cool:

I wonder how they go about making that chart.

buddhuu
08-10-2009, 02:45 AM

Nah, that's not us at #1... It's Captain Google! :)

molokinirum
08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I am sorry I did not get a chance to know Captain Google but after watching that awesome video that was created in his honor, it screams volumes about the type of man Captain Google was and how many people's lives he touched virtually world wide! The music in heaven just got a bit more sweeter!
Everyone who helped make the video, there is a special place for you in heaven!!
God Bless!!!

RIP Captain Google

molokinirum
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Nah, that's not us at #1... It's Captain Google! :)

Amen brah!

glittster
08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Amen brah!

I stand corrected! ;-)

Mog
08-15-2009, 02:24 AM
I never had the pleasure of knowing him. This is beautiful it makes me cry everytime, but it is so life afirming i cant resist watching it again. Well done everyone, love to his family.

olesneaker
08-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Vince is slowly filling the world with his love thanks to you all! If everyone I've shared to link with watches and then passes it on, and all the folks you have shared with do the same, he just may become famous!
Everyone here at my school has had really nice things to say about the collaboration, and now I'm getting requests to send the link to teachers at other schools...
Again, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!
I've been playing with Toma, Vince's Uke he left me, and am starting to get some nice sounds from it. Now if I can just string some together into songs ;) and toughen up my fingers more... I'm finding it easier than my old guitar, especially with my short fat fingers...

Ukulele JJ
08-17-2009, 07:36 AM
I've been playing with Toma, Vince's Uke he left me, and am starting to get some nice sounds from it.

That's awesome! :cheers:

JJ

CG's Dad
08-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I just watched the video for the forty-eleventh time, and it still gets me! It's been a great way to let out my sadness a little at a time, and offset it with happiness and pride at how many people wanted to share a goodbye to my "number one son". This time, though, I thought about the last time I spoke to Vincent, and how lucky I am. We were just finishing my parents' 40th anniversary party, and I was getting ready to pack my other 4 into the van, when I told him " I have to work tomorrow, but I'll see you soon. I love you, Vince." (roughly my normal goodbye) and he, as usual, replied "Love you too, Dad." This time, though, I paused a second before the "I love you", I think, because I wanted him to know that I was thinking about it, not just reciting from memory; and he chuckled a little before he responded, because (I think) he noticed. That thought made me cry a little more, not for me or him, but for all the people who don't get the chance to share their feeling with loved ones that last time. I can't tell you all how many people have said to me " If I had one more chance to say goodbye..." over the last thirty-odd years.. So, again, I say thank you all for the tribute, and also for reminding me of my blessings; I hope you all get the same chance with your loved ones.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Our thoughts are still with you.

I'm sorry i couldn't contribute. I would, but i cannot play and sing.

All the best

ukeshale
08-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Even without that moment, i'm sure Vince would've known. I'm glad the video's helping you in such a way.

Take care

buddhuu
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Obviously, I can only speak for myself. Vince seemed like a nice fella from what I knew of him here. Sadly he and I only ever exchanged a handful of messages, so I can't claim to have known him well. When I heard of his passing and learned, with some shock, how young he was it did make an impact.

When Seeso suggested the tribute vid for Vince, my reaction was really quite simple. A nice young guy who was part of our community had passed away. The video seemed like a nice gesture. Mine was an average guy's reaction, nothing really profound, and at first that was as deep as it went. Then when the finished video appeared it kind of added a level to the whole thing. Kind of hit home. I still can't watch it without a lump in my throat and a few tears threatening to spill out. Certain moments - Ron's spoken tribute, JJ's heartfelt vocal - kind of sum it all up.

But even then, it's the messages here from Vince's family that make the whole thing real. To read the comments you and Vince's grandpa have posted has completely changed the way I see the whole thing. While I knew the family would see the video, and I really wanted them to like it, I never appreciated that it may become of real significance.

It's sort of a little scary. We had a responsibility that I, for one, certainly didn't fully understand or appreciate at the time.

I'm grateful to have had the chance to join in. I have got a lot from it: insight into my own feelings and how other people see things, a feeling of becoming a step closer to the community here... And, of course, those things are a gift from Vince.

tbone
09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
In another thread in the forum Seeso posted "Why do you visit UU?" After seeing this community come together for Captain Google, is there any question?
Seeso, that is a tremdous tribute. God bless you and every one who worked on it. God bless Captain Google and his family.

olesneaker
09-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey, if you get a chance watch some of the MDA Jerry Lewis telethon - it's on from now to about 7 tomorrow evening, I'm hoping they play the collaboration you all did for Vince!
Mike:shaka:

DeG
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
So, I'm guessing I would have heard if it happened, but did the Capt. Google Tribute Video get mentioned on the telethon??:anyone:

ricdoug
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
not about who loved you.. it's about how you loved others... i think you are one of those that fits that quote...

d

Vincent (Captain Google) Rooney fit's that statement to a T. His love is still sorely missed, here. Vince always chimed in to help. Captain Google will always live on as a superhero in our community. Rock on, braddah Vinnie! Ric

TheMoodyMoose
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I watched this over the summer, and I didn't even know Captain Google, but it still moved me to tears, I loved it, I thank everyone who did it!! It was great!

joehempel
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Finally was able to read this thread front to back, watch the video...and wow, what a wonderful tribute.

Coming from another forum that recently lost a young guitar player, at oddly, the exact same age (although due to a car accident), it's great to see the brother/sisterhood of everyone on the forums.

Generally forums are just faceless, but there are the rare ones out there where people care, regardless if it's just an avatar, or if they've met and conversed. The good forums quickly show that there are people behind the avatars, and that everyone cares.

I'm really glad that I found this board, the people here care. And you can tell that the words aren't just words, but real feelings.

Sorry about the rambling but I was kind of at a loss for words....really great job on the video!!

JKoval
01-09-2010, 04:31 AM
I became choked up watching it. God bless.

CG's Dad
01-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey, everybody. Wednesday was CG's birthday (would have been 20)and I felt the need to update. I spent the day with his bro's and sis's, and the night with him (laugh, cry, repeat) including several viewings of the tribute video. I am still astounded! It's really hard to believe that it's been 6 months since he left us, and harder still to think that he would have been a year older already. Watching the video, it seems like only yesterday that he passed, but already it's kinda ok. Seeing (again) all of the people who felt touched by him, even briefly, reminded me that no matter how short his life, Vincent left marks that will remain even after I am gone. I can only hope that I leave such an impression on even one person in my life. I still haven't learned to play the Uke, but I hear it now every time i think of him. In my mind, the sound is that of love and celebration, and of a well-deserved rest. It may sound like I'm being silly or melodramatic, but I swear you guys (and girls) will never understand the effect you have had on me and the rest of the family.
Thank you again
Stephen (CG's Dad)

Dane
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I was away from UU for quite an amount of time. I never got to know CG, I don't know if I ever spoke with him, but I do remember seeing him posting in various threads. I just now found out about this. It took my computer quite a while to load the video, and I was reading many of the posts while it did (I can't read them all now, I'm too choked up) Just from reading everyones kind words I had tears running down my face, you can imagine how I was when I saw the video. I think everyone knows he's in a good place now, and I'm sure he's still strummin away. This thread has given me another thing to love about ukulele, and that is that there are so many wonderful people who play ukulele, just like Vincent, and every one of them is making the world a better place. I love all of you crazy ukers and hope things are well for Vinces family.

May he rest in peace, and I will never forget how these posts and the video have touched my heart. His memory will live on forever.

seeso
07-13-2010, 09:05 PM
It has been a year since the passing of our friend, Captain Google. I will now un-sticky this thread. As it fades to the second page and beyond, those that are reading this, know that we will not let his memory fade.

A cd of original music has been dedicated in his honor, and is now being sold in Australia to benefit the Duchenne Foundation.

There is a very good chance that we will do the same kind of project every year. Vince's legacy will continue to grow.

The "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" video that we all contributed to will continue to be watched by any who happen to come across it. Those that do, will remember Vince.

Those of you who have been here for a while and got a chance to talk to CG, will remember him. Those of you who have met him will never forget him.

Sail on, Captain. May the wind be forever at your back in that raspberry heaven.

Gaby
07-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Wow Seeso, it's been quite a journey!

The CD has done really well during the Cairns Ukulele Festival. I know Deb from the Duchenne Foundation will get onto distributing and online sales soon. Bear with her as the art exhibition (with 50 ukuleles decorated by artists to benefit this charity) we ran during the festival in the Cairns Regional Gallery is now finished and paperwork is being done for that. This also raised quite a lot of money. All in all, I am sure that many more people are now aware of Duchenne (and other muscular distrophies for that matter) than before the project!

Thank you all for supporting this cause!

UncleElvis
07-14-2010, 04:59 AM
I remember seeing the video a while ago, before I joined here, and, being a big softy, getting all soppy about it.
I promptly showed it to everyone I knew.
I remember thinking about how awesome it was for a group of people to love someone so much that they'd do a project like this and how lucky they all were to be part of a community that loves as readily as this.
I then promptly forgot everything about it, other than it was a really cool video that a group of folks made for their friend.

Imagine my delight when, months later, I figure out (quick as I am), by watching the vid again this week, that I know some of those people... that they're friends of mine!
That I have lucked out and managed to fall into this group of loving people!

One thing that you guys can be sure of is this: The Captain knew he was loved and I GUARANTEE that he counted himself lucky to have a group like you around.
I wish I could have met him. Anyone loved like that, by this bunch of crazies that I've fallen in love with? Someone I wish I'd known.

I remember thinking that you guys are awesome. Nothing has proven that wrong.

buddhuu
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all your work, Narciso - and all the guys who have put into the projects.

UU is a better place for all that's happened, that's a gift from Captain Google. Of course, it would be have been better still if our brother could have stayed with us longer.

Bon voyage, Vince.

Heck, no: we don't forget.

mds725
07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
The CD has done really well during the Cairns Ukulele Festival. I know Deb from the Duchenne Foundation will get onto distributing and online sales soon.

I hope someone posts a link to the website when the CD becomes available online.