Returning my Ohai Tenor...

vahn

Reaction score
So finally something bad to say abt the 'Ohai... It started seperating on me.

100_6052.jpg

I have to send it back to get it repaired. To anyone who got an Ohai: I would stay away from flourocarbon strings, i think the higher tension did it though I had EJ46 High Tension D'addario pro artes on with no problem.

I tried the Savarez Alliance which have a higher tension and I got intonation problems and some buzzing so I switched right back to the pro artes I had just taken off (my A string had a nick but they still played) and got the buzz that had not been there before w/ the pro artes.

On a similar note: an 8 string is designed for 8 strings of tension correct? so if I destrung 4 of them, could my Lanikai 0-8E handle 4 strings of Savarez Alliance tension? I really loved the sound of those strings, and I was thinking about turning my 8-string into a low G 4-string while my Ohai is gone for a month or so.

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination - but I can't imagine that kind of damage being done by fluorocarbon strings - if the neck was separating, maybe - but what I see in the photo is the back, and that just seems hinky. Besides - they're built to handle ukulele strings, regardless of the manufacture, aren't they?

Let us know if they say anything about it when they get it - that is a scary separation!

Looks like they just got skimpy on the glue. I've always been told that when it comes to woodworking, the glue joint is actually stronger then the glue. Not something that would be detectable with a quality check before moving the instrument out of the factory. Probably a new person working on the line that day and no one checking his work on that step.

But yeah, I imagine it is a hassle and disappointing to be short the uke and sending it back.

Seems like it would be kind of nice to have a "disappointing quality" thread on this site. Where folks could post things like buzzing strings and cracks. It might help improve quality standards of the manufacturers.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Gotta agree with bbycrts, I don't think high tension strings would cause that type of separation. If anything, you would probably see the bridge go first.

I wish the back would have peeled off of mine, it would have saved me a bundle in shipping costs. Are you going to have it replaced? or get something else?

On the positive side, it's the kind of defect that can be repaired and you would never know that it ever happened.

I agree with previous replies. That separation could not be caused by string tension. The heel block is under there, and the back is glued directly to it. It should be one of the strongest joints on the uke. I was given an Ohana soprano that had exactly the same problem. I was concerned that the wood might have been impregnated with oil or something, which would make a glued joint very weak, so after gluing and clamping, I screwed a Canadian one cent coin to it, with the screw going into the heel block. That fixed it! It plays and sounds just fine. Of course, you would only do that with a uke you have not paid for.

The coin doesn't HAVE to be Canadian, I just happened to have one, dated 1882, that someone had pierced. It looks kinda cool.

John Colter.

...I would stay away from flourocarbon strings, i think the higher tension did it

...an 8 string is designed for 8 strings of tension correct? so if I destrung 4 of them, could my Lanikai 0-8E handle 4 strings of Savarez Alliance tension? I really loved the sound of those strings, and I was thinking about turning my 8-string into a low G 4-string while my Ohai is gone for a month or so.

According to ukuleles.com (Kawika, Inc) the typical tension on a tenor is 39 lbs. That's not likely to cause the back to separate. Most wood glues are rated far higher than that - 200lbs or more. An 8-string is 83 lbs so it can handle re-stringing as a four easily.

I doubt the tension had anything to do with it. You'd more likely see the top warp or the bridge separate first.

My guess would be oils. Wood needs to be cleaned before gluing to make sure no oils remain on the surface. Some people use acetone to make sure none remain, but others just sand them off. Glues won't bond well with oil, and can leave a join weak. Could be someone missed a spot and your local heat/humidity did the rest. Some woods still express a little oil after manufacture, too.​

That is too bad, I'm so sorry about your uke! I hope the maunfactureres could help you with this, no charge, as it sounds like it was definitely a quality control/glue issue. I can't imagine how I'd feel if my new uke fell apart in what, a month's time or so.

On the other hand, having read the other reviews on the Pono Ohai, I have to say I still adore mine completely (though, I have a concert and not a tenor, which probably isn't an important distinction).

I guess it was good that I got to inspect the instrument prior to buying, but so far (knock on ohai wood) it's still sturdy as a horse. I didn't find the sustain to be a problem at all, and I think the instrument does sound very nice. Weirdly enough, having tried some aquilas, I switched back to the original gold koo'olau strings - They give the best tones and are less 'sticky/chalky' than the aquilas when I strum/pick. I will try some other strings later though to see if there's a difference. But anyway, I don't have any complaints in how the instrument sounds. I think it's great!

It's no solid Koa, of course, but for the price (mine was about 220 for the concert), I think it's as good as any in that price range. (Provided that the neck isn't falling off, of course!) The only minor quibble I have (but for me living in a small apartment, is actually a good thing) would be that while it sounds beautiful, it is not a very loud instrument. So for those who need the volume, this probably won't be it. Obviously I'm not really qualified to make a review of the instrument, seeing that the only other uke I own was a piece of crap, so take what you will from this, but I did try a Kala mango and a Kala solid Mahogany one with the Pono Ohai prior to purchase, and I did prefer the sound of the ohai to the others.

Anyway, I do seem to be the only one who's enjoying her pono ohai immensely at the moment, and after hearing this story, I don't suppose a lot of people would want to buy one either, given it sounds like the line needs improvement and quality control. That kind of blows.

Last edited:
I'm sending my Pono Ohai concert back. I just really don't like how it sounds. I actually had flourocarbon strings on it too so it's a good thing they weren't on long enough to pull the wood apart.

Anyway, I do seem to be the only one who's enjoying her pono ohai immensely at the moment

Nope, Coco, I am really enjoying mine too. It's been kinda discouraging to read the negative reviews, especially from much more knowledgeable players than I am. I sort of wish I could have just retained my blissful naivete, thinking I had an instrument that anyone would love.

I do wish it had a little more volume. I guess I should have waited to pull the trigger until the reviews came in, but I figured a new Pono was a can't-miss.

On the other hand, the tone is sweet and complex, and I love to hear it.

Has anyone tried something like Worth Clears to try to bring this instrument out of its shell?

To the OP, very sorry for your misfortune. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Now I need to go play.

Nope, Coco, I am really enjoying mine too. It's been kinda discouraging to read the negative reviews, especially from much more knowledgeable players than I am. I sort of wish I could have just retained my blissful naivete, thinking I had an instrument that anyone would love.

Hey, as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

As far as the separation on the back of the instrument. I can't imagine how string tension could be the problem. Most likely I think
-not enough glue
-oil not removed well enough before gluing
-possibly the porosity of ohai requires different glue?

In any case it's a minor issue considering Ko'olau's warranty on their instruments and how great it sounds for the price. Have you asked if they would just replace the instrument instead of repairing considering you just bought it?

Now as far as sound quality, the only negative comment I have is that it dosen't project as well as mahogany or koa. Since I tend to play on the quieter side, I prefer the tenor as the larger body more than makes up for that. I also noticed that lifting the back of the instrument off your belly helps a lot. (quite challenging with my ever growing stomach)

The really exciting thing about these instruments is the tonal quality for the price. For me, this is my primary consideration when choosing instruments for my store and myself. The tenor ohai is pretty impressive with really clear tones, accurate intonation, and sweet sustain. If I could only cough up $300 for one instrument, this would be it.

Some photos I took the other day... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=88515&id=82081018620&ref=mf

So finally something bad to say abt the 'Ohai... It started seperating on me. [...]

Wahhh... I have a Pono All-Ohai Tenor, too and I'm using Fluorocarbons on it! (Self-made FC strings from Japanese fishing line). I calculated a high tension set since I thought the sturdy-looking Ohai uke could take it...

I guess I'll change to normal tension now!

I think the Ohai lacks projection 'cause the Ohai wood of the top seems to be rather thick. Does anyone know why? I guess this kind of wood requires some more thickness for some reason?

I guess the lack in projection of ALL-Ohai ukes is why Pono now offers Ohai ukes with spruce tops - seems logical to me.

My Ohai has a pickup and the amped sound is nice! The instrument looks and feels really tough & stury, so I'm quite surprised that you encountered these problems. Good luck with the repaired uke! ;)

Ko'olau is making me pay to have it shipped back to Hawaii (quite expensive) and then i have to wait over a month to get it back. Should I be dissatisfied?

I originally called MGM, who I got the uke from and he told me to call ko'olau. This was supposed to be a combined fathers day/birthday present, I got some money towards it for fathersday and my birthday is July 22nd and now I'm not going to even have my uke on my birthday... If this happened already and there just going to fix it and send it back how do I know theres not going to be more quality control issues with that uke. Would I be out of line asking for a new one? The guy Dean was kind of short with me and told me that I needed to have it shipped to them and I thought that sucked that I had to pay for that.

Top Bottom