1st Uke!!

Hi,got my 1st uke today(my fingers are already aching lol)in fact its my 1st ever instrument so i'm a total newbie to playing one.
I've followed a few lessons from this guy on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Oo4KS2K6Q&feature=related
has any body else followed him and how did you get on?

Hey congrats on the new uke and welcome to the forum! I haven't heard of that guy you linked to, we have our own master-ukulele instructor, Aldrine Guerrero - I'm sure you've heard of him - check him out!

He has all sorts of great videos and does his lessons in a really interesting way:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/category/videos/

Cheers for the links chaps:).Got myself a cheap makala soprano to begin with,and just waiting for my tuner now.Oh yeah and i need two new hands that can play a few notes LOL.

Hey
I was going to post a 'hello - I got my first uke on monday' thread when I clicked to read this one first and was blown away when I saw where you're from! I'm from Kettering, Northamptonshire too!

Welcome SuperSoul,

Are there any other ukers meeting in your area? The nearest club that I know of is in Cambridge, but that's not exactly close. Have a look on the UKukes website, there might be something nearer.

Pick or fingers, it's all good, but if you learn to use your fingers first you can always try a pick later. You can do more with fingers.

Enjoy your uking,

John Colter.

Hey
I was going to post a 'hello - I got my first uke on monday' thread when I clicked to read this one first and was blown away when I saw where you're from! I'm from Kettering, Northamptonshire too!

Cheers everyone,willl try a pick but its fingers for the mo.Wow small world lyssa!!

What type of pick should i use?
you can get feltrums, or i think some people use like, soft rubber things, wedgie or something?
i would try a variety if you're interested in using a pick, and then choose your favourite... you may find you prefer using your fingers, though.

Why congratulations! Makala's may be cheap but they sound pretty good when set up properly. Don't worry you'll be strumming like crazy in no time! Welcome to UU! There are some who swear by picks some who hate them. I think they are harder to use than just your fingers but thats just my 2 cents. What's your next uke going to be? ;)

you can get feltrums, or i think some people use like, soft rubber things, wedgie or something?
i would try a variety if you're interested in using a pick, and then choose your favourite... you may find you prefer using your fingers, though.

Going to have a go with some feltrums,but will try to stick to just fingers for the mo;)

Why congratulations! Makala's may be cheap but they sound pretty good when set up properly. Don't worry you'll be strumming like crazy in no time! Welcome to UU! There are some who swear by picks some who hate them. I think they are harder to use than just your fingers but thats just my 2 cents. What's your next uke going to be? ;)

Yeah i like the Makala,just waiting for the tuner to come and i might buy some aquila's for it as well.The next uke will have to wait lol.

Yeah i like the Makala,just waiting for the tuner to come and i might buy some aquila's for it as well.The next uke will have to wait lol.

:D Get that puppy some new strings,all tuned up and when your strummin till your hearts content... UAS will kick in soon enough :D

happy strumming

Welcome! More Brits, excellent.

Cheap Makalas are great. I still have a couple. They sound really good with Aquila concert strings on them, and they are just about indestructible!

I think you're wise to concentrate on playing with fingers rather than a pick.

Have fun. :shaka:

Top Bottom