E-Guitar for a beginner?

bof

Reaction score
So I decided, my next big investment will be a guitar (apart from ukulele bargains at ebay and a roland micro cube).
I feel that I don't need any acoustic guitar with 3 Ukuleles hanging on my wall.
I'm a complete guitar beginner though, and as student (haha finally over in 2 month) with some travel plans, I don't have the biggest money book (300-400 dollars probably).
Music I plan to play most of the time: Probably Reggea, Blues-Rock, Classic Rock, Funk
NOT: Metal, Country
I know there are some good guitarists in this forum. What guitar should I buy?
Already saw the Yamaha Pacifica-112 MX in some other forum. Is it good? Or should I probably wait till I have a bigger budget for a Fender or whatever there is for around 600?

You can find a great guitar no matter what your budget. The secret is to just keep trying and playing them until you find the one you like. For me, the feel is more important than the sound. I always try a guitar unplugged first. If it feels good, and sounds god unplugged, then I get an amp and see. Just go to all the stores you cn and play all the guitars you can.

the beauty of guitars are that they have a pretty good resale value if you keep them in good condition. i've blown through so many guitars on craigslist by buying them, playing them for a while, then selling them for almost the same price. this way, you can take your time to test drive these guitars. or like, snake oil said, go hang out at a music store and go nuts.

keep in mind you should look for something with good action, solid tuners, quiet pickups (low or no hum), straight neck.

if you plan on playing while sitting down, a strat or tele style sits comfortably on your lap. i don't like the way a les paul feels when sitting down so i normally stand when i play that one. and that flying V is just going to slip right off your lap!:D

I prefer going out to the music store rather than shopping online for it because that way you can get a feel for the guitar your looking for and you get an up close look and can hear the way it sounds. For 300-400 is pretty good budget range for a guitar, especially considering your a beginner,but you're searching for an electric rite? I suggest something minor for now like Fender, Epiphone, or Ibanez for an electric considering they're in that price range and some have good tone for a good price. If you can't find a good deal, always remember that pawn shops are your friend. You can probably find a nice guitar for cheap that only need a few repairs like new pick-ups or tuners.

Okay thanks. I'll take my time choosing the guitar. Can anyone come up with any particular suggestions?

Top Bottom