Cigar box ukes

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
This is my first uke I ever made. Tenor Uke...action and intonation is good, but I'm still working on the tailpiece rig. Disclaimer...I dont practice for my vids and I am not much of an uke player, in fact I dont know any ukulele music or songs. I just play what I know.

My goal is really just functional simplicity with affordable quality of sound, playability, and a homegrown aesthetic. Its not MEANT to be a PROFESSIONAL instrument, I just want it to be better quality of ukes of $150 and less for now.

This goes through the intonation process but plays after that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOOXjiYGO4

This one is same tenor plugged in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKIO1pvV94

This is new baritone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfC1h16XAg

feedback please...and thank you.

My goal is really just functional simplicity with affordable quality of sound, playability, and a homegrown aesthetic. Its not MEANT to be a PROFESSIONAL instrument, I just want it to be better quality of ukes of $150 and less

You should get your butt down to Nashville some day and we'll trade secrets. :cheers:

the neck is squared with sanded edges. It would seem it is "chunky" in comparision, but after a minute or two, you dont even think about it or notice it anymore. I've debated back and forth and received my fair share of criticism on it, but only from people who have only seen it and NOT PLAYED IT.

The neck debate:
1) Negative: I could only rasp it or sand it down...I dont have a router or many tools at all, and I dont have a space to work or store any more tools So I dont know how effective or good the quality of rounding and smoothing will be.
2) Positive: I LIKE THE NECK haha. Granted, its unorthodox...but I told one fellow who called my neck "unplayable" that it is a different style neck with its own dynamic and challenges, but certainly NOT "unplayable" as you can do everything on it...bar chords, 7 & 8 fret stretches etc. Besides "different" is good, because it keeps us from owning too many ukes that all look and play the same. I can do the strumming to"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on it with no more an issue than on a regular neck.
3) Plus I got a rockin capo that works awesome with the chunky, unplayable neck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwh594Lo_4
which gives it even more style haha.

Respect man. I need (or think I do) a wafer thin neck to help me play anything. Your vids speak for themselves - it sure is playable. As foor tools; I have shaped most of my necks with a sharp knife and tiny planes. Would not say no to a couple of dedicated routers tho'.

All the best / Sven

well, this is just the beginning...I got placed into a guitar / mandolin building class in the fall. I hope to someday make some more traditional instruments, but I also really love the homegrown look and feel, knowing i can make a good instrument for very little money...I'm never gonna stop doing that.

We'll see how it goes, especially since I cant afford any tools, or have a place for them even if I could. I'm hoping to become buddy buddy with the guitar building instructor who is an older gent who works out of his basement, but has done some professional work for a few named country singers. Since I dont have any way of acquiring tools, I'm hoping that since I've already paid him for his class, maybe he'll let me pay for my own supplies and work with him in the basement...get a little extra tutelage that way haa.

information like what?

I know when, where and how much.

it is an 18 week workshop in which you build your own acoustic guitar or mandolin. I got a syllabus somewhere

Sorry, just curious where and when it is. I noticed you were in Hebron and I'm in southern IN and thought I'd be interested in attending if it was feasible.

Andrew

oh, its not something open to the public. its through the local steel mill, and is effectively a program to keep mill-workers productive, happy and honestly...out of jail.

it is an entire program of workshops to replace idle time of the workers with productive life skills other than drinking and fighting.

If it were an open enrollment, I would certainly share details with you.

I need to improve my drinking and fighting skills. I'm rubbish at it!

John Colter.

are you selling any of your stuff ? i would really like that baritone

Top Bottom