To buy, or not to buy, what is the question?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I was offered a 8 string solid wood (Mahogany?) Tenor Nahenahe brand 'ukulele. The Nahenahe were made on Maui by Paul & Pam Petersen from 1993 until 2000 when they closed the business to concentrate on their musical careers. I believe competition from the less expensive import MELE 'ukuleles contributed to their decision. They had their shop in the Kahului industrial area, and a beautiful 'ukulele store on Dairy Road about a mile from the Kahului airport. I used to visit their store and druel all over their beautiful 'ukuleles during my lunch breaks. Anyways a local seller has offered his 8 string tenor for $225 including the hard case. He's not sure what kind of wood it is but it looks more like Mahogany than Koa to me. Should I accept the offer? Does $225 sound fair to you? Take a look:
nahenahe2.jpg
nahenahe3.jpg
nahenahe4.jpg

Wanting a 6 or 8 string myself, I think you should jump at this one. I am looking at a Mele Koa for twice the price.

Oh yea, and if you no like da buggah, can always put 'em up ova hea. Shua somebody would buy 'um.

this is your second shot at one go for ittttt

ARGH, I had heard rumors that Nahenahe were made in the Philippines, and I was able to contact the former owners of Nahenahe 'ukuleles to verify the facts, and I was informed that the early Sopranos, and concerts were all made in Maui BUT all the 8 strings tenors were in fact made in the Philippines. :eek::confused::mad:
Now I'm getting second thoughts since I was thinking I was buying a Hawaii made 'ukulele at first. What say you guys, think it's still worth $225.00? :rolleyes:

Are you able to play it? If it sounds good, that is not a whole lot of money for an 8-string. But then, I think you should leave it to someone else so as not to break your pineapple streak.... oh wait, you got a Fluke some weeks back so that's gone already... buy and post a review then?

If you don't buy it, I just might. Snooze you loose!

Dino, I let you know what I decide if you're serious about wanting it. The seller is off island on business for a week so I have a week to think about it. He's gonna get in contact with me as soon as he returns. My finances are real tight right now so I won't impulse buy this one, gotta think about it.

Dino, I let you know what I decide if you're serious about wanting it. The seller is off island on business for a week so I have a week to think about it. He's gonna get in contact with me as soon as he returns. My finances are real tight right now so I won't impulse buy this one, gotta think about it.

Hey Ahnko,
I changed my mind. I'm looking at a couple concert ukes that MGM is selling. I'm sure someone will take this uke if you don't decide to get it. I feel ya when you talk about finances. It's tight everywhere except for the inherently rich! Thanks. Hope to see you on Saturday.

Ahnko,

I'm wondering if you're going to let people talk you into a purchase you're not sure of. You were interested in a Hawaiian uke....this turns out to be made in the Phillipines. You seem to be interested in koa ukes....this one is probably not koa.

It looks like a beautiful uke. But it found you, you didn't go looking for it. If you really want it, then consider it. If not, then save your money for another uke that you really want.

Money is tight, as you said. Make every uke dollar count. Buy the ones you can't do without, do without the ones you shouldn't buy. Isn't UAS awful?

Hey Ahnko,
I changed my mind. I'm looking at a couple concert ukes that MGM is selling. I'm sure someone will take this uke if you don't decide to get it. I feel ya when you talk about finances. It's tight everywhere except for the inherently rich! Thanks. Hope to see you on Saturday.

Hey Dino, Tangi says he has some 8 strings on the cheap. I can get a new Tangi for a few bucks more than this used Nahenahe but the Tangis are Vietnamese made. I wanted an 8 string Koa if possible. I still can't stop thinking about the NZ Kapono Koa pinepple but "Trade Me" deleated my account when I tried to register to buy "NO AMERCANS ALLOWED" they told me, they don't trust non-Kiwis. :mad:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15966
95495377.jpg
95495520.jpg

Ahnko,

I'm wondering if you're going to let people talk you into a purchase you're not sure of. You were interested in a Hawaiian uke....this turns out to be made in the Phillipines. You seem to be interested in koa ukes....this one is probably not koa.

It looks like a beautiful uke. But it found you, you didn't go looking for it. If you really want it, then consider it. If not, then save your money for another uke that you really want.

Money is tight, as you said. Make every uke dollar count. Buy the ones you can't do without, do without the ones you shouldn't buy. Isn't UAS awful?

I hesitate because I'm not in love with it, and don't want to waste the precious few bucks I have left. I already have a nice made in PI MELE so really don't want another PI 'ukulele. The New Zealand Kapono pineapple still calls to me but how to get one. :confused:

FWIW - I both a Tangi and Mele and would not trade either for the world. The Tangi is a Mango Tenor and sounds so sweet. I even have another member of our group looking into getting one. The Mele is a recent acquisition it is a 6 string Koa Concert with a gloss finish. It to is a sweet sounding instrument. I knew the Mele was started in the Phillipines, but the finish, set-up and qualitiy control in Maui made all the difference. They made believers out of me...

I have a MELE concert Koa pineapple, and a Tangi Gecko Mango sopranino, bang for the buck difficult to beat either.

Had it been Hawaiian-made I'd say go for it. But if it's not calling to you anymore, then definitely put the cash towards something that you really love.

New Tangi ukes are made in Vietnam? Is that a recent development?

Reliable inside source says Tangis when they were being made were made in Vietnam but production stopped last November, only his early production was Hawai'i made the rest set up in his old Sand Island shop after arrival from Vietnam from what I was told. Tangi is in bad straights financially and can't afford a website anymore. He selling off his inventory, and he only sells locally now to shops on island, and in Craigslist adds. Here's a few latest:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1264266978.html
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/gms/1264256904.html
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1260629108.html
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1257022333.html
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1225062853.html

His number is 808-285-8537 I don't doubt you could talk him into shipping.

Last edited:
Wow, Some of those look pretty nice, I've been wanting an 8-string or Lili'u style uke... Hmm.. gonna have to try some sweet talkin' on the misses..wish me luck...:)

Top Bottom