So now I get the "underground" part

BrotherUke

Reaction score
I volunteer at at local museum every year to help out with their antique and classic boat show. That was yesterday. I usually hang out at the front gate and ask people if they'd like to make a voluntary donation to the museum since the show is free to the public.

The museum's director used to be a professional rock musician so we started to talk about guitars etc. I told him about my ukulele addiction and he tells me "oh I have three ukes". Then two people standing nearby say quietly to each other "they're talking about ukuleles". Then another says oh my grandfather and father used to play..... on and on it went. All these people came from nowhere (or maybe from "underground") and started to share there ukulele stories. It was just so amazing. The best part of all was that these usually stoic and serious New Englanders just got happy when they were telling these stories. Very cool!

Last edited:
It is amazing what the little thing can do. When we were in vegas waiting for our shuttle to take us to the airport I noticed this lady staring at my two cases. She eventually asked if they were ukes. Then today at church I asked the guitar player for one of the songs and he gave it to me but one of the deacons heard me mention ukulele and he came over to share his "uke" story. I get to check it out tonight (it was owned by his father for twenty years and he has had it for 15 yrs). I'm excited to tune it for him and show him some chords.

Very cool indeed! My Grandma (originally from Manchester, England) found out I was starting up on the uke and mentioned that her older brother (my late Great Uncle) actually made one of his own and used to play it ALL the time! I hope my Great Aunt still has it and will one day pass it along this way :)

carrying a uke is the next best thing to walking a dog for breaking the ice!

Top Bottom