Obama hosts the first-ever White House lu‘au!

lisaxy424

Reaction score
I was just forwarded this article and video...I hadn't heard anything about it until today!

NEAT! Especially since Hawaii's 50th Anniversary is coming up!...now if I only knew what to get it... :D

Less than GM & AIG's bail-out amount I hope. :cool:

Wouldn't it be coo if there was a Presidential model Ukulele made especially for Obama! And would be cool if the Luthier from Hawaii would present it to him in Washington! I wonder if he plays?

this is one of the interesting threads which contain so many strange words and abbrevations that I do not really get a clue what it is about:p
The president is having a Hawaiian party at the White House, and while some wonder if the top-secret tunnels under the WH will be converted into a huge underground oven to feed the people, or perhaps whether he will go native with a stone oven or just hook up the BBQ to his Hummer's fuel tank, others worry which will be a bigger blow to the US economy: said party or bailing out the US car manufacturers. Ah and one member suggests to "go gangster" and wear black suits, neckties and sunglasses and carry their ukulele hardcase into anywhere within a circle of 300 meters around the White House to see which is stronger: aloha or the CIA's web of security.

At least that's what I make of it :eek:

This will probly be his first lu'au. I don't think he is really that connected to hawai'I other than wearing the occasional aloha shirt or getting good publicity at the tax payers expense.

Side note: secret service does security for president.

Last edited:
That's exactly what the CIA want you to believe. But let's not look inside the soundhole, lest we find gobs of glue residue and sloppy lutherie... :cool:

That's exactly what the CIA want you to believe. But let's not look inside the soundhole, lest we find gobs of glue residue and sloppy lutherie... :cool:

Keep them coming. Nothing like starting the day with good laughs.not sure which one is funnier though. Now I am awake and I can face the cruel world.

Don't know if Barack plays, but Bette Midler did give him a Flea.

This will probly be his first lu'au. I don't think he is really that connected to hawai'I other than wearing the occasional aloha shirt or getting good publicity at the tax payers expense.

his tutu, tutu kane and mom is buried in hawai`i. and he's an alumni to high school here (which, in Hawai`i terms, really is big). Maybe not "Honolulu City Lights" attached, but I'm pretty sure he's connected here.

i just hope he passes on the rice and opts for poi...

Wouldn't it be coo if there was a Presidential model Ukulele made especially for Obama!

For some reason, I'm picturing a ukulele version of Buck Owens' guitar.

I would totally buy something like that. :D

JJ

He grad from The prestigious Punahou School but I have my doubts about how much Hawai'i is in his heart. In a pre election speech (no teleprompter) he made here in a public park with Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hanneman (Samoan) at his side he went on to say how special a place Hawai'i was due to it's ethnic diversity, then went on naming the different ethnicities that make up Hawai'i except he left out one very important group of people- The Hawaiians! Hawai'i wouldn't be Hawai'i without Hawaiians, and for Obama to leave this very important detail out I think reflects how much Hawai'i is really in his heart. Punahou is a rich kid's school, and not many Hawaiians can afford to go there so I don't believe Obama grew but with many native Hawaiian friends, and thus lacks connection with the Kanaka Maoli, and Hawaiian culture. Throwing a lu'au does not a Hawaiian make.

Last edited:
He grad from The prestigious Punahou School but I have my doubts about how much Hawai'i is in his heart. In a pre election speech (no teleprompter) he made here in a public park with Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hanneman (Samoan) at his side he went on to say how special a place Hawai'i was due to it's ethnic diversity, then went on naming the different ethnicities that make up Hawai'i except he left out one very important group of people- The Hawaiians! Hawai'i wouldn't be Hawai'i without Hawaiians, and for Obama to leave this very important detail out I think reflects how much Hawai'i is really in his heart. Punahou is a rich kid's school, and not many Hawaiians can afford to go there so I don't believe Obama grew but with many native Hawaiian friends, and thus lacks connection with the Kanaka Maoli, and Hawaiian culture. Throwing a lu'au don't make a Hawaiian.

That is what I was implying. if I remember correctly he spent almost as much time in indonesia as hawaii. He is a polotician. The lu'au has nothing to do with him. The lu'au has to do with hawaii's statehood.

Top Bottom