Makai Cedar Soprano Review

That's not mahogany back/side is it? Willow maybe? Looks pretty and sounds sweet! I've seen these advertised a lot of places; they seem very affordable... Love the cedar top! thanks for the review :cheers:

Good sounding uke-thanks for sharing that!

I'm pretty sure the Makai's are made in the same factory as the Ohana's - same dimensions and same or very similar models too.

I love the Ohana's and Makai's I've tried, and currently own an Ohana solid spruce and flamey mahogany laminate soprano and a Makai all solid figured maple soprano. They are both well and soldily built, well set up, very resonant and responsive, have excellent dynamics from loud to soft, and both are defintely on the brighter side of the tonal spectrum. Lots of overtones for a full sound, but very good note separation too. I haven't tried the lowest end Makai's though that are under $100.

I did recently return an Ohana solid spruce and laminate maple concert uke because of some finish flaws, but the uke's tone and playability was a great - but it was gift so the minor finish flaws nixed it. If I'd had the money to keep that uke for myself, I would have!

I have a number of higher end ukes, and the Makai and Ohana uke I own can hold their own. I appreciate them a lot.

Top Bottom