Updated information on Kanile'a Ukulele

cruzer75

Reaction score
Hey guys I think kanile'a will be delighted that this many people are interested in their instruments. Although Joe and Kristen Souza are out of town so any kind estimate will be a couple more days. Just bare with me and i will getting back to you soon keep checking this site regularly for updated information.

thanks tim. we appreciate you giving the underground an opportunity like this.

Hahaha. I'm trying to put it in the back of my mind. One could get worked up over such a opportunity.

Last edited:
Still really interested.
Question: Are we going to have to decide on ONE exact same uke or do we get a little bit of freedom on the design specs??

For example, I don't want any UU logo on mine and I want a passive pick up...

Note: As cool as UU is, I do have to think about slight possibility of resale down the road....if someone is not familiar with UU, they may not buy it if I ever decide to sell....never know....plus, I like simple ukes..not too much MOP..

I am interested, also wonder how simular they will have to be. I am cool with pretty much all of there tenors and the sound monster, alot of MOP, a little MOP what ever Im down as long as its a good price that my poor azz can aford. I would like an inlay in fret board, though. I know I appricate you looking out for the rest of us!

You down with OPP? indeed, you knowst me.:cool:

MOP rather? Mother of pearl ;)

I know Kristan and Joe were in Japan until this Tuesday so give them some time to get settled back in.

P.S. If they are reading this tell Joe to get crackin on my S.Tenor done, I really really want it. :D

is the super tenor easier to play as compared to the tenor or others? Thanks:D

is the super tenor easier to play as compared to the tenor or others? Thanks:D

Actually in my hands yes, it is easier for me to tuck under my arm and play standing up without a strap, and it is a little bit louder so I can strum softer and keep my nails. Plus I have giant hands so playing a soprano or concert is difficult for me if I have to finger pick.

S.Tenor, see the larger lower bout in both directions, also the back is a bit more curved then the tenor. The upper bout is ~1.5 inches bigger and the lower is 2 in both directions.

Six-string-super-tenor-big.jpg

As opposed to the more "Traditional" tenor, they do the same thing with a soprano and I would like to get my hands on one.

Fourstringtenorbig.jpg

I am waiting on mine so I can send a tracing out and have a case built so my dimensions are not exact yet, more guess.

Please add me to the list.

Thanks for your efforts. I to am in the market for a quality tenor with a pickup.How about inter-locking "U"'s for the headstock? One slightly higher than the other. More interested in quality than bling. Nice bindings and roseset do set off a nicely made uke!

Thanks for your efforts. I to am in the market for a quality tenor with a pickup.How about inter-locking "U"'s for the headstock? One slightly higher than the other. More interested in quality than bling. Nice bindings and roseset do set off a nicely made uke!

About the pickup remember that the Kanile'a bridge if it is not a tie bridge is already wide enough and deep enough to do a standard d'aggario pickup with just a quick hole in the lower bout. In fact they drill a hole under the saddle just for this purpose from the factory on all their ukuleles.

So you don't need to order it with one you can have it added by a luither at a later date which is what I would recommend because then you can have the saddle cut for your style of playing and compensated if you play way up the neck like me.

With other builders you need to custom order a pickup with the correct length or use a mill to cut a wider slot like I do with the ko'olau's. Which can change the tone and response a little bit depending on how you shape the now larger saddle.

And those are not bling'd out in any respect. Here is a picture of the po'okela, I tried to get the one that was displayed at MOMM but I lost it to another collector. This is next on my list to order after the wifes.

po'okela_Big.jpg

Last edited:
About the pickup remember that the Kanile'a bridge if it is not a tie bridge is already wide enough and deep enough to do a standard d'aggario pickup with just a quick hole in the lower bout. In fact they drill a hole under the saddle just for this purpose from the factory on all their ukuleles.

So you don't need to order it with one you can have it added by a luither at a later date which is what I would recommend because then you can have the saddle cut for your style of playing and compensated if you play way up the neck like me.

With other builders you need to custom order a pickup with the correct length or use a mill to cut a wider slot like I do with the ko'olau's. Which can chage the tone and response a little bit depending on how you shape the now larger saddle.

Kanilea told me that they could put a Markley passive in for me (I just don't like active pick ups..would rather use an ext. pre-amp). See any issues with them installing the Markley passive??

Kanilea told me that they could put a Markley passive in for me (I just don't like active pick ups..would rather use an ext. pre-amp). See any issues with them installing the Markley passive??

YES with the factory install less with the picup itself.

Honestly have the guys at Buffalo brothers or Blue Guitar do it I have seen some mangled factory installs, or what I would call mangled. I did not order a pickup on my K5 from Joe because of the concerns others had expressed, and am going to do a after market one.

Personally if you are OK with a port in the bout of the ukulele go with any pickup that gives you the sound that you are looking for, I personally do not like the Markley's but if you have played one and it fits your sound by all means. I do no like it when they run with the wire out the sound hole it screws with my strumming.

Top Bottom