PDA

View Full Version : Makala or Lanikai

JC_Ukulele
07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I can't decide which to get, a Lanikai LU-11or a Makala MK-S. Someone please tell me which is better.

upskydowncloud
07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't decide which to get, a Lanikai LU-11or a Makala MK-S. Someone please tell me which is better.

Hey I think this was posted in the wrong place, one of the moderators might move it to the beginners or uke talk section. I'm a big fan of Lanikai so I'd say go for that, they stay in tune and are well built. I've never used a Makala but my uke teacher doesn't think much of them. You won't go wrong with the Lanikai.

Balsa Dust
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I tried to get a Lanikai LU-11 through Amazon and they sent me a gig bag instead :confused:. I ended up getting Makala MK-S through MGM. I figured with his set-up I would get a decent playing uke and I wouldn't have to worry about it being warped or whatever.

I like my MK-S and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but then again maybe I don't know any better :eek: :cheers:.

Kanaka916
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Moved to the Beginners forum.

Chrisuzwhite
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Makala is the brand I use cause the ukes are cheap without sounding horrible. If you want something that'll have quality, go for the Lanikai.

deach
07-14-2009, 01:56 AM
.... If you want something that'll have quality, go for the Lanikai.

I have to disagree. Lanikai may be more flashy but Makalas are quality cheap ukes. An MGM set-up Makala is an awesome bargain.

HaileISela
07-14-2009, 02:01 AM
I have to disagree. Lanikai may be more flashy but Makalas are quality cheap ukes. An MGM set-up Makala is an awesome bargain.

I second that. I don't like the Lanikai, I think kala-makala is better.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Lanikai ftw!

HoldinCoffee
07-14-2009, 02:53 AM
The Lu-11 really isn't all that flashy. At $42 in some places, you get a no-nonsense ukulele with decent tuners, a traditional design and good action straight out of the box.
With Makala, for as low as maybe $40, you get a bridge shaped like a dolphin and can choose candy apple red or various other colors often considered too offensive to be included in a box of Lucky Charms.

:cheers:

deach
07-14-2009, 02:58 AM
...With Makala, for as low as maybe $40, you get a bridge shaped like a dolphin and can choose candy apple red or various other colors often considered too offensive to be included in a box of Lucky Charms.

:cheers:
The Makala MK-S also comes in a more traditional, simulated wood grain finish and bridge although the dolphin model plays a little bit nicer.