Looking to get a new Uke

ed531

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum and I just wanted your opinions. I currently have a Kamaka Concert and a Kanilea Tenor both tuned to a high G, both koa. I find that I enjoy playing the Tenor much more. I was thinking of getting another tenor and have come across a few Ponos I like (spruce top w/rosewood OR mango top, back and sides). and I was thinking of having a low G string as well.

The question is how much should I expect to spend for a Pono tenor. And how does mango top, back and sides or spruce w/rosewood compare to the koa sound ?

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
Gawddd! That looks like flowing gold! I'd be afraid of scratching her...:eek:

Maybe it's just me. But that's a bit much, IMHO. It actually looks gaudy to me....:eek:

OMG that is soooooooooooooo gorgeous

You have a Kamaka and a Kanile'a, why not get a KoAloha?

That is beautiful in ways I can't even begin to describe!

1c31_12.JPG

I was looking at this but I didn't like the knots on the top of the uke, I felt that they should have used the back wood for the top. Plus I didn't like the headstock logo. Superficial I know, but if looks is the only thing you can go with for $775...

I haven't looked at the Koaloha but I will now.

What do you guys think of this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250461756745

lol nope, you're not alone! What do you think of the Pono?

I like the Pono better than the other one, that's for sure! I still think this one has a bit too much "bling"..I'm not sold on the wild grain pattern or the abalone binding on the back of the body. I guess I just like my ukes a bit tamer....:D

That is a beautiful instrument. I just recently got a Kanile'a tenor and I absolutely love playing it.

However, since you have two already...?

Have you thought about getting a really good concert size? To sort of round your selection of instruments? I go to the concert when I have to travle and I want to bring something a bit more portable.

That is a beautiful instrument. I just recently got a Kanile'a tenor and I absolutely love playing it.

However, since you have two already...?

Have you thought about getting a really good concert size? To sort of round your selection of instruments? I go to the concert when I have to travle and I want to bring something a bit more portable.

I was at one point searching for a long neck concert. I don't travel with my ukulele, I'm a "play my ukulele when I get home from work" person.

I think I've leaned towards the tenor because I like to do a lot of finger picking. I do find myself playing towards the 12 to 14th fret.

On an earlier note... I believe you are correct. The G tuning peg on the Hillebert is crooked.

My wife just looked at the Kanilea picture with me (I said, "Look at this!") and she was also struck with its beauty. She said, "Is that one you would like?". But I called on all the reserves of common sense and maturity I could muster and just agreed it was another beautiful Kanilea. I don't think its "too much" for the eye, and I know from my Kanilea concert that it'd be so wonderful to play...

Craig

Top Bottom