19 inch scale classical guitar

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
I figure my baritone uke is effectively a classical guitar...could I just widen the neck and add a set of nylon strings to make a small classical?

They both share those four strings...is the tension about the same on those four, effectively adding only the tension from the low 2?

I am not a luthier...I'm a hack hobbyist. Someone give me the technicals please

How would you just widen the neck?? You'd need a new bridge too and would have to change the compensation for the strings
The string tension would depend on how you tune it. I assume with a short scale length you would tune it up a 3rd or so?

There's really no way I've ever heard of to simply widen the neck. Replacing the neck with a wider one would be a complicated task best left to a luthier, and the cost would likely make it prohibitive relative to the value of the uke and the cost of just buying a small-scale guitar.

What is the neck width at the nut? Compare that to the width on a 1/4 size guitar. If they're comparable, it might be doable, but again, it would be more difficult than something a "hack hobbyist" could undertake.

Not only would you have to replace the bridge/saddle and nut, the headstock would have to be modified to accommodate guitar tuners. That's a lot of work, even for a competent luthier.

If you want a small-scale guitar, I'd suggest you just buy one. You can probably get a Yamaha or other student model for not much more than $100.

no no no...

I should clarify...i dont mess with "real" instruments. I'm building cigar box ones. Like taking my cigar box baritone ukulele DGBE...If I started a new one on the same 19 inch scale and made a wider neck to fit the EA strings. Would it tune EADGBE the same as a regular guitar with classical strings? or are those completely different requiring a different tuning altogether.

My mind says if a 19 inch can do DGBE, it can surely do EA as well...but I dont know if the difference between a classical set of strings an baritone set is that substantial.

is EADGBE doable or what tuning would it have to be.

I see now
I still think 19" is too short for standard guitar tuning. Try putting a capo on the 4th or 5th fret of a regular guitar and tune back down to standard pitch. That's would give you around 19" scale lenght...I think it would feel pretty loose. You could do it and tune up it up a 3rd like a 3/4 size guitars usually do.

Top Bottom