What tuners for slotted headstock

I use grovers when I do a slotted headstock. I'll try to get the model # for you. They look very similar to the Waverly's at far less cost. And yes, they are made for guitar so the headstock thickness needs to be a minimum of 2 cm thick.

Last edited:
David - I am ordering some Sta-Tites from Stewmac - the ones Chuck is refering to. If you are intent on making a visit to my workshop in August I'll add to the order... Even so, it would be better to get them from me as I will be breaking down guitar sets.

I used Grovers from SteMac for mine. They're definitely great tuners for the money.
The only problem is they have the widest base plate...requiring almost 0.75" thick head stock. I'm trying a set of Gotohs from LMI next time. Those are about 0.68" wide. Not a huge difference but it looks big on a uke headstock to my eye. I'd grind the plate down narrower if it wouldn't ruin the finish. The Gotohs are about $10 more than Grover.

could always go with the gilberts.

Why Gilbert's? They look pretty ugly to me... In the Uk there are 2 companies - on is Rogers and they cost an arm and a leg too.

Last edited:
I don't see what's the big deal about $180 set of tuners when you're ordering/building $2000+ custom ukuleles. :confused: Maybe my thinking is out of whack, but if I'm spending the big bucks on a custom ukulele, it better have some expensive tuners on it.

For what its worth, I love the Gilbert tuners (designed for classical guitars as opposed to steel string guitars) on my William King concert. I like their techical-geometric look (whatever that means). The thick headstock look is exactly what I wanted and I wish I had specified these tuners on the King tenor (which has Waverlys) I ordered before the concert. In my opinion, the Gilbert tuners also offers superior feel compared to the Waverly tuners. It's hard to explain but they really do offer a better feel to me when using them to tune the uke. Maybe I just have weird tastes or something.

DSC02578.JPG

DSC_1620.JPG

Last edited:
I don't see what's the big deal about $180 set of tuners when you're ordering/building $2000+ custom ukuleles. :confused: Maybe my thinking is out of whack, but if I'm spending the big bucks on a custom ukulele, it better have some expensive tuners on it.

For what its worth, I love the Gilbert tuners (designed for classical guitars as opposed to steel string guitars) on my William King concert. I like their techical-geometric look (whatever that means). The thick headstock look is exactly what I wanted and I wish I had specified these tuners on the King tenor (which has Waverlys) I ordered before the concert. In my opinion, the Gilbert tuners also offers superior feel compared to the Waverly tuners. It's hard to explain but they really do offer a better feel to me when using them to tune the uke. Maybe I just have weird tastes or something.

DSC02578.JPG

DSC_1620.JPG

Ther's nowt so weird as "Folks" :D

That's not quite what this thread's about. Perhaps you haven't read all of it. I'm a hobby builder (on a pension) building my first ukulele. I build instruments for pleasure and have only sold one, to a relative, for the price of the materials. I don't doubt my ability to build a decent instument, I've built electric and acoustic guitars and basses before, but for a first ukulele I'm not going to spend a fortune (for me) on a set of tuners.

That's not quite what this thread's about. Perhaps you haven't read all of it. I'm a hobby builder (on a pension) building my first ukulele. I build instruments for pleasure and have only sold one, to a relative, for the price of the materials. I don't doubt my ability to build a decent instument, I've built electric and acoustic guitars and basses before, but for a first ukulele I'm not going to spend a fortune (for me) on a set of tuners.

I was more replying to the few posts immediately before my post. I apologize for the confusion. I assumed that you were building for hobby and wasn't building thousand dollar instruments so I understand that you weren't going to go all out on materials. However many custom builders build pretty expensive ukuleles, and I was commenting that I would expect some pretty high-end stuff, tuners in this case, on those ukes.

Top Bottom