Koa vs Mango?

clayton56

Reaction score
What are your opinions of the sound and other qualities of each?

Mango is a stunning wood, rich with skeins of colour. But it doesn't have the tonal range of some other woods. I have a Pono mango, which was nice, but a little dull compared to my spruce and cedar topped ukes. I replaced the saddle with a Tusq saddle and it helped brighten it up. I also put on Aquila strings, which gave it a bit more edge. Sounds much nicer now, but still a little softer than several others.

Mango might be helped by a natural, less restrictive finish, too. But it's a beautiful wood to behold.​

hmm... i like mango. :D imo

I'm looking to get myself a Mainland in late August and I have kinda had my heart set on mango because it is so beautiful - but I'm also interested in the mahogany for its old Martin sound. Anyone have feedback on mahog vs. mango?

I have a Mango Tenor from Tangi and a Koa 6 string Concert from Mele. The both sound fabulous but I thinik the Tenor sounds richer. It does have Aquila strings but I think it always sounded richer, might have more to do with the size than the material. I like the look of the Koa better than Mango. It could just be preference....

I love koa for it's looks and sound. In my experience, mango tends to be a bit dull in tone. Koa ukes also tend to have a better resale value.

Top Bottom