what strings should i use?

gabzuke

Reaction score
im have a greg bennett uk 70 concert and ive been informed that im needed to change strings. Ive been confused about which strings are good. aquila, worth etc. But the uk 70 lacks the volume so im kinda thinking aquilas, but im letting yous think. whats it gonna be?

According to the UU store write up...

"Jake Shimabukuro swears by Pro Artés. So does Aldrine. 'Nuff said."

Plus buying from the store helps support the site.

This is one of those questions that's constantly being asked. Best answer really comes down to personal choice. You're gonna have to try several brands to find what sounds best to you. Then brand names you'll hear most are Aquila (Nylgut), Worth (Fluoro Carbon) and D'Addario (Nylon). Also take into consideration the instruments build and trying to find the right combination of string/instrument can sometimes be a daunting chore. Here are some threads you refer to and there are lots more.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7129
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15543
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

If you want to increase volume and add some brilliance, try the Aquila's, if you want a little fuller sound try the Worths, just my .02 !
:music:

im actually thinking of aquillas but the one brotheruke said, d'addario seems to intrigue me. whats the cons and pros?

Last edited:
The D'Addarios are very, very thick and might not seat properly in a nut that was probably cut for GHS strings. Aquilas are a little thinner, and I find them louder and punchier. To me, the D'Addarios (and Worths) shine on more expensive instruments, but Aquilas are great for squeezing every bit of volume and projection out of an inexpensive uke.

Just understand that with the Aquilas you are in for about a month of stretching.... I have to retune my Ukulele daily for about a month until they have full stretched out.... Great Strings though, they really sing!

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I do have the same question: what strings should I use?

I've tried some Aquilas, but while they sound gorgeous, I don't particularly like the feel of them on my fingers (I'm more of a flesh strummer/picker, as supposed to a nail one) - and they give off a teeny tiny sound when I strum/pick.

I like the feel and sound of my current Ko'olau gold strings, but they're a bit tougher to fret than the Aquilas, and doing quite a number on my now left hand fingers (they're flaking!)

This is the extent of my string experience.

Any suggestions on what strings I should try next? I'll be buying some Worths (the brown ones, I think, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the differences between the clear ones and the brown ones, and which tension I should buy).

I have a concert uke, and I don't intend on using wound strings.

Thanks!

Last edited:
hijack if you want i already found what im looking for :shaka:
but if anyone else would suggest something different, amaze me :D hahha

I would not recommend the Worth "fat" strings. They're a little too thick for most people's taste. The Worth Browns are mellow. I have a soprano with a larger body and they sound really great.

The Clears offer a bit more high end. It's a subtle difference in tone. They also seem to have a harder finish, while still being extremely soft on the fingers.

Aquilas sound very much like they have been run through a chorus effect. Rich in overtones. The Worths have a more earthy sound. A very nice no-nonsense presence of the fundamental tone. Both sound great, just very different.

Maybe instead of that big explanation I should have said that Aquilas are the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Worths are Paul Robeson.

Last edited:
Top Bottom