which strings to use in soloing?

Groovy

Reaction score
G'morning :) as I've said before I'm a total newbie and I just got my concert uke. I'm not altogether a stranger to instruments and music and right away set out to 'pick' a song.

What I notice is... the 4th string is rather 'high' in tone. I'm wondering... is there a technique for picking? Meaning... are most songs 'picked' on the first 3 strings?

If that is the case (please teach me where I'm wrong) what would the 4th string be essentially used for? Essentially in the formation of chords?

Or does one pick songs using all 4 strings and it doesn't matter if a note is an octave high? ???

Appreciate your help!

OK - as I'm understanding it -- I use the first 3 strings to solo on, and I throw in the 4th string as appropriate?
depends on what kind of feel youre trying to give to your solos and what kind of song youre solo-ing to.

here's a quick snipet of how i like to incorporate the high G into my improv solos.

background chords are G Bm C D7. necta by sashamon. key of G.
its not clean because i was just making it up as i went. but it might give you an idea of how you can incorporate that pesky high g into your solos.

I use all the strings :D

Many times between the melody certain players pick the 4th string as kind of a filler or to give the song that little something extra. Check out jake shimabukuro and watch when he picks the G string. You'll notice that he plays it alot.

does he use a high or low g?

Top Bottom