Uke shops in Maui

molokinirum

Reaction score
My time is getting near!!! Be heading to Maui in Sept and buying a new uke. Anybody know of uke shops that have a large selection. Would love to buy a Hawaiian made uke if price is not in outer space!
Mahalo!!!:music:

I found 5 different stores on Maui, 3 were in Lahaina and 2 were in or near Kahului. This does not count the a number of gift shops that have a laminate or three to sell, not to mention the tourist ones for $20.

In Lahaina, you have Lahaina Music right on Hwy 30 and Lahainaluna Rd. They have a good selection and offer a free lesson over at the Lahaina Cannery Mall on Tuesday nights, they'll even provide the Uke. The next Lahaina location is called Kula Gold and is located in the Pioneer Inn on Front St. It's a small store, Mike is the owner, and he has a good selection. Mike is good to deal with and will take care of you if he has something you are interested in.

The last shop in Lahaina is a small shop off the beaten path. The sell off brands of hand made Ukes but I did not recognize the brands like D&D. They were a little pushy for my taste but the are near Lahainaluna and Front St, its actually behind the building...

In Kahului you have Bounty Music, right off the Hana Highway. They have a large selection of Ukulele's and were very helpful and informative. The other store in Kahului area is actually in Wailuku and it's Mele Ukulele, it's a small store with a ton of Ukulele's. I bought my last one there and they were very helpful and friendly. Cheryl and Eva will take good care of you and will help you find what you are looking for. While they are located there in Maui, the Ukulele's are actually constructed in the Phillipines, but they are finished and setup there in Maui. I had a great experiecne and woudl recommend them to anyone.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to stop at Momma's Fish House for a great meal!

Mahalo!

Thanks for the info. Momma's is on my list of restaurants to eat at. The other is my favorite The Hula Grill located on the beach in Kaanappalli. Can't wait to get there, get my new uke and play it on the lani watching the sun set and sipping on many many Mai Tai's!!!!:D

Be prepared a lot has changed since we were there 18 months ago. The economy really took a hit...

A couple of our other favorite restaurants are Cheeseburger in Paradise and BJ's Pizza both are right on Front St in Lahaina. Here is a link that helps us stay in toucn with Maui... http://www.cheeseburgerland.com/Cheeseburgerland/Live_EarthCams.html

When looking for you Uke on Maui, don't forget to see Mike at Kula Gold. I would suggest starting there first, so you have something to compare. Tell him John said hi! On second thought don't tell him that he might charge you more....

In Kahului you have Bounty Music, right off the Hana Highway. They have a large selection of Ukulele's and were very helpful and informative. The other store in Kahului area is actually in Wailuku and it's Mele Ukulele, it's a small store with a ton of Ukulele's.

Mele is great, and to say Bounty has a "large selection" is an understatement! Both very friendly and informative places to browse.

Since you're going to be on that side of things, don't miss Da Kitchen for it's BBQ; and down the road, in Paia, are the Paia Fishmarket where you've got to get a blackened Ono burger, and Flatbread Pizza which my sister-in-law Jenna proudly (and rightfully so) runs.

For sipping Mai-Tai's on the Lahaina side, my favorite (during happy-hour) is Aloha Mixed Plate.

Last edited:
Enjoy your trip and don't forget to stop at Momma's Fish House for a great meal!

The meal will cost the same as a uke:)

Mele is a must. All of rossjr's listing were accurate and I would recommend you go eat at Da kitchen in kahului. It is by far the best place to eat on maui.

The meal will cost the same as a uke:)

Mele is a must. All of rossjr's listing were accurate and I would recommend you go eat at Da kitchen in kahului. It is by far the best place to eat on maui.

Thier's some truth to that comment...

The wife I never minded because the food was excellant and the location was perfect!

The listing for Cary's is new to me, do they have a store or are they just an on-line business?

Da Kitchen has an awesome Hawaiian plate with Pork Lau Lau, Kalua Pork, Chicken Long Rice and Lomi Salmon. Come with rice but make sure you pay the extra and get Poi, not a Hawaiian plate without Poi. The Chicken Katsu plate is Monstrous may want to share.
http://www.da-kitchen.com/id35.html

Try Tiffany's on top of Lower Main Street, Wailuku for great Korean Food (Spicy Pork broke da mout!). If you go the Maui Ocean Center (Aquarium) at Ma'alaea try the Ma'alaea Grill, great food, great price, great view, great atmosphere.
At BJ's in Lahaina try their extra spicy Buffalo Wings, or/and their "Pizzadia".
I have a mile long list of inexpensive ono places fo' eat on Maui, lived their for 12 years.

Since we're talking about food be sure to go to Komoda Store in Makawao (Go early!) and get a cream puff - they are they best in the world!
I really miss Mama's Fish House, it is truly a special place, and although it is expensive, it is really worth it.
The place I miss most on Maui though is Azeka's. Hands down the best ribs on the planet, and ono plate lunch too. I keep trying to find kalbi that compares to Azeka's and so far the closest is Mark's Place on Kauai.

I bought my first ukulele, my Lanikai, at Bounty. Unfortunately I did not know about any of those other places. I hope to be back there soon and check them out!

Wow................

Mahalo for all of the food tips. I thought this was a ukulele site not a food site!!!! LOL!!!!:cool: But don't get me wrong, the food in Maui is great. I have been to the Aloha Mixed Plate but Da Kitchen is now on my must eat at list. I will make notes from all of you and will try to pass on any messages you want to give. Keep in touch!!:shaka:

The place I miss most on Maui though is Azeka's. Hands down the best ribs on the planet, and ono plate lunch too. I keep trying to find kalbi that compares to Azeka's and so far the closest is Mark's Place on Kauai.

I don't know if you know this but Azeka's closed it's doors a couple years ago. I don't know why as there always was a line there especially at noon. I get the feeling it has to do with the kids not wanting to take over the business, allot of that happening here with the "mom & pop" businesses. :(

dif itycit

thanks the tips guys! I went down and bought my first uke from the gentleman at the store mentioned below.

"The last shop in Lahaina is a small shop off the beaten path. The sell off brands of hand made Ukes but I did not recognize the brands like D&D. They were a little pushy for my taste but the are near Lahainaluna and Front St, its actually behind the building..."

the shop is one of those merchant stands in a little square. Called hawaii ukulele and gift corp. I bought a maui made ukulele called d&d, mahagony, www.ddukulele.com I just picked one that sounded good to me that was less than $200.

ok, returning now to the rest of my vacation.
bill:music::music::music::music:

I'd highly recommend Bounty Music in Kahului. I got a Pono there last year. Great price and nice folks! As for food, since these replies are both uke and food related, be sure to check out Hali'imali General Store. Fantastic food. Gotta stop, gonna drool on my Pono!

I'll second the Mele Ukulele motion. Have purchased three ukes from Cheryl... one every other trip to Maui. Still have all three and still play 'em daily. Completely satisfied. Also... some restaurant suggestions in Kihei... Peggy Sues.... best hamburger in Hawaii (Maui Beef).... Kihei Cafe for breakfast.... Alexanders in Kihei for a GREAT (and fresh) Fish Taco. Really Like a quaint little eatery in Lahaina too... The Sunrise Cafe... off the main drag about a block. Very Maui!

I started down the path of being a Uke-a-holic with the purchase of a Kala soprano at The Lahaina Music Shop in May of this year. The girl that waited on me was great and very informative. As I was a complete novice I didn't pay much attention to all the selection that they had as I was looking for an entry level uke to " test the waters", but they seem to be informed and enthusiastic. I spent the next 10 days sitting on our lanai overlooking Napili Bay and noodling away into the sunset. My favorite food places are the Aloha Mixed Plate for their $3.50 mai tai happy hour and the " feet in the sand" bar at the Hula Grill in Kaanapali. I also enjoy the Honolua Store in Kapalua for a take out lunch on their lanai overlooking the golf geens. Also, the Seahouse restaurant on Napili Bay has a killer deck to enjoy the magical Maui sunsets while enjoying happy hour pupus. Where ever you go it's hard to not have a fantastic time in Maui......Aloha.

Get one more shop on Front St. in Lahaina, go past the Carl's Jr. and head mauka past some jewelry shops and stuffs. There's one little-ish kiosk with plenny ukes (50?) owned by one Chinese (from China) couple. Prices stay a little high, but they bargain down to the right MSRP. Das where I get my Luna from and they threw in a soft case, extra Hilo strings+low G, and a book.

I don't know if you know this but Azeka's closed it's doors a couple years ago.
I remember when they closed, I stay working at RadioShack in Azeka Makai at that time. I was grinding ribs every day brah!

I'd highly recommend Bounty Music in Kahului. I got a Pono there last year. Great price and nice folks! As for food, since these replies are both uke and food related, be sure to check out Hali'imali General Store. Fantastic food. Gotta stop, gonna drool on my Pono!

Bounty Music is one of the best uke shops on Maui! I always visit them when in Maui and almost always order whatever I need from them, great people to deal with.

Top Bottom