different shaped sound hole?

i love stitch

Reaction score
im getting a custom fluke within the next month, someone here in the forums is making a cartoon version of my dog to put on it....
i thought it would be cool to get a "paw print" shaped sound hole:D

would that affect the the sound in anyway? im getting just the natural finish fluke with a rosewood fret, no pick-up or anything, so i was wondering if it was possible? (& around what price:confused:)

if not, i can just put a paw print on the actual fluke, but i thought this would be a cool idea!:p

That would be awesome! I doubt it would have any negative effect on the sound.

im getting a custom fluke within the next month, someone here in the forums is making a cartoon version of my dog to put on it....

would that affect the the sound in anyway? im getting just the natural finish fluke with a rosewood fret, no pick-up or anything, so i was wondering if it was possible? (& around what price:confused:)

if not, i can just put a paw print on the actual fluke, but i thought this would be a cool idea!:p

I don't believe it will effect it that much. As long as it is the same general size it should resonate the same.

That would be awesome! I doubt it would have any negative effect on the sound.

i really hope so, i'm puttin so much money into this fluke, but its so worth it! especially if i get this sound hole, it's going to look awsome:rolleyes: i just want it to sound nice not just look good

should be fine. just look up the Applause or Kala Jazz ukuleles. those have different shaped sound holes and sound just fine.

thats true, but the applause is really quiet in sound (thats what ive heard)
and those are also electric...
but like the other guy said, it should sound fine if i make it the same size as the regular circle sound hole

Thats awesome!

I love that idea!

Neat idea!

Are you having the soundboard painted first, and then shipping it back to the company to have it put onto a uke? If so, do they send it without the soundhole already cut? I'm curious as to how you're going to have it done. :3

Neat idea!

Are you having the soundboard painted first, and then shipping it back to the company to have it put onto a uke? If so, do they send it without the soundhole already cut? I'm curious as to how you're going to have it done. :3

well they offered to send me to paint the board with the hole already in it, but i asked them if they can print it on with the machine instead (because paint can wear off)
and i havn't asked them yet about the paw sound hole, we're still working out the dog being printed and the costs :eek:

would that affect the the sound in anyway?
Short answer: yes. The size, shape and location of any soundhole affects the resulting sound.

More pedantic rambling: ...but no one can say by how much. More open space for a hole reduces the size of the topboard, which conducts much of the sound. A smaller area means (generally) higher pitch and lower volume. More hole means the sound coming from the hole is less focussed and spreads out more (which means it dissipates faster as distance increases).

But because a uke is small to start with, the effect will likely be minimal.

What matters most is really how much you will like it.

Short answer: yes. The size, shape and location of any soundhole affects the resulting sound.

More pedantic rambling: ...but no one can say by how much. More open space for a hole reduces the size of the topboard, which conducts much of the sound. A smaller area means (generally) higher pitch and lower volume. More hole means the sound coming from the hole is less focussed and spreads out more (which means it dissipates faster as distance increases).

But because a uke is small to start with, the effect will likely be minimal.

What matters most is really how much you will like it.

hmm, i would really like it if i could get the paw...but its not worth it if the sound will be off you know?
do you think it would make a difference, like if you compared it to a regular fluke would you really be able to tell?
because ive seen acoustic ukes with flower, turtle or even dolphin sound holes:cool:

... someone here in the forums is making a cartoon version of my dog to put on it....

Some one here? I would love to see some of the preliminary drawings.

I like the paw print idea a lot.

Top Bottom