PDA

View Full Version : Got my uke today!

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 08:38 AM
And I made a video as promised. :D My new Ohana CK-25!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojWXxVTOtMk&feature=player_embedded

sukie
07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Yea!!! Enjoy every minute of it. I know (lightbulb goes off) I think I'll go practice myself. I'll never get to Jake's level but I'll have a wonderful time trying.

Melissa, you do know who Jake is, right? Ukulele God!!!

russ_buss
07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
congrats on the new uke!

also congrats to your cat for all the packaging.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Yea!!! Enjoy every minute of it. I know (lightbulb goes off) I think I'll go practice myself. I'll never get to Jake's level but I'll have a wonderful time trying.

Melissa, you do know who Jake is, right? Ukulele God!!!Thanks, of course I know who he is! :D

congrats on the new uke!

also congrats to your cat for all the packaging.Haha, thanks. He was going crazy in it earlier.

Oh dear... I don't' know how to hold my uke. Some things keep getting in the way, LOL!

Link
07-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats! That's a nice first ukulele.

Link
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh dear... I don't' know how to hold my uke. Some things keep getting in the way, LOL!

Hahaha!!! :rofl:

haole
07-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Congrats on your first of hopefully many ukes! :D She's a pretty one.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Hahaha!!! :rofl:Hey now, no laughing. I think this is the first time I wished they were smaller. :o

sukie
07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Somewhere there is a thread or two about that. Here's what I do, but then again I'm not terribly endowed -- I play sitting down with the uke in my lap. My teacher doesn't yip at me about it so it must be a horrible way to hold it.

houghty
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Wait, so someone just.. bought it for you?

DeG
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM

Pics or it didn't happen...

:D

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Pics or it didn't happen...

:D...that's what the video is for. :P

sukie
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
She's a feisty one, eh DeG?

BBcakes
07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Congrats and hope you get tons of fun out of it! UU is the greatest, huh?:cool:

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
She's a feisty one, eh DeG?;)

Congrats and hope you get tons of fun out of it! UU is the greatest, huh?:cool: Thanks, it is! :shaka:

Raygf
07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Congratulations! It must be Ukulele Wednesday. I just got home and on the porch was a box from Mainland Ukes. I'll post a video and pics later. Enjoy your new uke.

:music:

Regards,
Ray

DeG
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
She's a feisty one, eh DeG?

Must be something about uke'n that make women fiesty..that's OK, fiesty is a good thing...:)

Jim X-S
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Congratulations on the Ukulele! Great company.

Although I have to say you GSD is beautiful and Mr. Kitters well he is a character.

To who(m) ever gifted the Ukulele to Melissa, good for you!

Have a Great Day,
Jim

BrotherUke
07-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Congrats Melissa. Now the journey begins....

Link
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey now, no laughing. I think this is the first time I wished they were smaller. :o
Every time you wish that, an angel dies. Keep that in mind.

Ukulele JJ
07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Oooh, nice uke! Congrats, and keep blogging!

JJ

itsme
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats! Be sure to get a case or gig bag for it.

Maybe for your first performance vid you could do a cover of "Elephant Town." :D

Hey, I have those exact same kitchen shears. :p

seeso
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Maybe for your first performance vid you could do a cover of "Elephant Town." :D

I like the way you think.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Congrats! Be sure to get a case or gig bag for it.

Hey, I have those exact same kitchen shears. :pYes, I ordered a hard case for it yesterday from musicians friend. On sale for $31.99 :D

I like the way you think....No Elephant town from me. I'm already kinda strumming along to 3 songs: This Land is Our Land, Surfin USA and Yellow Submarine. It's just that friggin G7 chord that is killing, lol... ouch my fingers. I know, it will get worse before it gets better.

ihavenotea
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Be sure to post your first Elephant Town cover in the Elephant Town Ukulele Campaign thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15497).

And then post your first non-Elephant Town video to the First Video thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13155).

ihavenotea
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
...No Elephant town from me.

If you don't cover Elephant Town, Seeso will cry. (You don't have to do it right away—it can be a bit intimidating at first…)

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
If you don't cover Elephant Town, Seeso will cry. (You don't have to do it right away—it can be a bit intimidating at first…)Hahaha, ok, I will do it one day soon.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Be sure to post your first Elephant Town cover in the Elephant Town Ukulele Campaign thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15497).

And then post your first non-Elephant Town video to the First Video thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13155).Ahahahaah, these elephant town vids are killing me.

sukie
07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Ahahahaah, these elephant town vids are killing me.

Are you sure you can't manage one? I'll bet you can. Go to Sukie2709 on youtube. I did it.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Are you sure you can't manage one? I'll bet you can. Go to Sukie2709 on youtube. I did it.My roommates think I'm retarded enough as it is. I think I may give them a little longer to adjust to me now that I have a uke trying to play This is our Land over and over in the living room, lol.

KC8AFW
07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Ooohh...pretty. Oh, and the uke looks nice too.

Congratulations.

kailua
07-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Congrats on your first! VERY NICE! Your enthusiasm is contagious! :music:

BBcakes
07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Are you sure you can't manage one? I'll bet you can. Go to Sukie2709 on youtube. I did it.

I haven't covered Elephant Town yet... but can't wait to get home and do it!Maybe I'll do a collabo with my lil' guy.:D

itsme
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
... ouch my fingers. I know, it will get worse before it gets better.
Be prepared to have really sore fingers for a while. It takes some time to build up callouses.

But the good news is that at least uke strings are kinder to your fingers than steel strings. The doubled steel strings on a mando are killer. :eek:

ihavenotea
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
My roommates think I'm retarded enough as it is. I think I may give them a little longer to adjust to me now that I have a uke trying to play This is our Land over and over in the living room, lol.

Take up the Harmonica. They will beg you to play the ukulele instead. (I love the harmonica, but it took a lot longer to be able to play it passably).

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Be prepared to have really sore fingers for a while. It takes some time to build up callouses.I want to keep practicing but my fingers hurt too much right now. :(

Take up the Harmonica. They will beg you to play the ukulele instead. (I love the harmonica, but it took a lot longer to be able to play it passably).I have a tin whistle here I don't know how to play... haha.

KC8AFW
07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
So...did you play your first song yet? Did you make us a vid?

RevWill
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Keep practicing and playing. Before you know it your fingertips will be callused and your fingers will find the chords quickly. Most of all, have a ball playing the thing.

Ahnko Honu
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
She's a beaut, play her til your fingers bleed. ;) Kazoo works good with a 'ukulele too. Congrats on your new addiction. :shaka:

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
So...did you play your first song yet? Did you make us a vid?I actually just recorded myself and the look on my face from concentrating is too funny. My fingers and face go all crazy when I try to do the G7.

KC8AFW
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I actually just recorded myself and the look on my face from concentrating is too funny. My fingers and face go all crazy when I try to do the G7.

Haha. Even better...post it! I catch myself with my mouth open sometimes(have no idea why).

I really hope you are having fun. :music:

itsme
07-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I want to keep practicing but my fingers hurt too much right now. :(
If you think they're sore now, just wait til you try to play tomorrow. ;)

I've taken a few hiatuses over the years where I basically lost my callouses. Then when I start playing again, it's hard to resist the urge to "overplay" at first. Even when my callouses are in decent shape for classical guitar, if I bust out my mando for more than a few minutes, my fingers will be sore the next day.

All I can say is, tomorrow do your best to play thru the pain a bit. Maybe limit your playing to only 10-15 minutes at a time and then give it some rest for a couple hours. Several short sessions throughout the day will be better than attempting another marathon, which I imagine is what you did today because I know you were so excited to finally have it in your hands. :D

And, ihavenotea, your comment about playing the harmonica cracked me up. Reminded me of my 7th grade Spanish teacher. He was a philosopher at heart and always ranting about something. I remember once he talked about why women look better under moonlight... so you can't see their zits or wrinkles. And another he talked about kids wanting to play guitar and how many parents didn't think that was a "proper" instrument to learn. He said he'd let his kid play guitar any day over a trumpet or a clarinet because he said "Who wants to listen to something that loud when they're just learning to play and they really suck." :)

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Haha. Even better...post it! I catch myself with my mouth open sometimes(have no idea why).

I really hope you are having fun. :music:I tried posting it but for some reason windows movie maker is being a piece of *bleep* and won't save my file... gr.

tozan
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats! 147 posts and your first ukulele :confused:
How did you resist so long?:D

Lori
07-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Congratulations on the new uke! It will take a week or two to build up the callouses. Make sure you keep your fingertips moisturized before bedtime, so they don't start to dry up and flake off. You want them to stay there on your fingers. The end result will be a slightly numb feeling on the tips, but that is good (better than pain). They should look like regular fingertips, not cracked and dry.

As for where to hold it. I find I get really good results when I place it away from my body a bit, resting on my left leg in my lap. Good for keeping the sound loud and clear, and no interference with the female physique. If you want to stand and play, you can get a strap, and that will allow all kinds of experimentation. You can have a local music shop put on a strap button or two.

Have fun!
–Lori

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone! :D

Boozelele
07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Isn't it crazy that there are 5 pages of responses supporting a person who just got their first uke? I mean it's crazy in a good way. Everyone here loves the uke so much that they get all excited even when someone ELSE gets one. :D

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Isn't it crazy that there are 5 pages of responses supporting a person who just got their first uke? I mean it's crazy in a good way. Everyone here loves the uke so much that they get all excited even when someone ELSE gets one. :DOh my goodness, you are right! I did not realize their were so many. Thanks everyone. :D

KC8AFW
07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Isn't it crazy that there are 5 pages of responses supporting a person who just got their first uke? I mean it's crazy in a good way. Everyone here loves the uke so much that they get all excited even when someone ELSE gets one. :D

That's what I love about this place the most. Everyone is so supportive of us beginners. It just makes you want to help spread the uke love.

Melissa82
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, I'm going to bed with sore/numb/red fingers and a smile on my face! I can't wait to practice more tomorrow.

ihavenotea
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
That's what I love about this place the most. Everyone is so supportive of us beginners. It just makes you want to help spread the uke love.

Verily.

I must say: "Thanks Everyone. You all rock."

This place has definitely made learning the ukulele a marvelously awesome experience.

Jim X-S
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Just went to read Melissa's blog. Under labels for today she has written, "first ukulele ohana ck-25." Just want to draw attention to the word "first." Do you suppose she might be a candidate for UAS? :biglaugh:

Have a Great Day,
Jim

Pippin
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
All this enthusiasm does put a smile on my face. Congrats...

The sore fingers do get adjusted soon. From there, everything just gets easier.

Enjoy.

Melissa82
07-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Are my hands supposed to be itchy? All night my left hand was itchy...

BrotherUke
07-16-2009, 02:56 AM
OMG :eek: You have the uke hebeegeebees! It won't go away until you start playing again. I'm afraid it's brings with it an undeterminable recovery period. You are doomed to 24 by 7 non-stop Uke obsession.

Not to worry however, there is a large support group here at the UU underground. Their prescription for relief when not playing is to put your thumb, and pinky of your right hand up while vigorously shaking your hand back and forth :shaka:

Melissa82
07-16-2009, 03:00 AM
OMG :eek: You have the uke hebeegeebees! It won't go away until you start playing again. I'm afraid it's brings with it an undeteninable recovery period. You are doomed to 24 by 7 non-stop Uke obsession.

Not to worry however, there is a large support group here at the UU underground. Their prescription for relief when not playing is to put your thumb, and pinky of your right hand up while vigorously shaking your hand back and forth :shaka:LOL! I'm serious though. I was scratching my hand all through my sleep.

Melissa82
07-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Wooo, got my uke case today, lol.

Bratset
07-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Grats :) :nana:

sukie
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM

Excellent! I have to check out your blog and see what you've been up to. I think your blog idea is the greatest.

Melissa82
07-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Excellent! I have to check out your blog and see what you've been up to. I think your blog idea is the greatest.Hehe, thanks. I haven't written anything in a few days. Things haven't really progressed. I'm hoping to get a video up soon when I chalk up the guts. :p

Bratset
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Hehe, thanks. I haven't written anything in a few days. Things haven't really progressed. I'm hoping to get a video up soon when I chalk up the guts. :p

Go for it! :)
P.S a nice song to practce picking is Greensleves. Realy helped me get familliar with the Uke :)

Melissa82
07-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Go for it! :)
P.S a nice song to practce picking is Greensleves. Realy helped me get familliar with the Uke :)I'll have to look that up. I'm trying to perfect amazing grace, lol.

Bratset
07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll have to look that up. I'm trying to perfect amazing grace, lol.

Keep up the practicing! :shaka: