Stupid question about cigar box instruments

Plinthman

Reaction score
Just lately I've been looking at cigar box ukes, with the intention of building one. I've seen a few videos of people playing cigar box instruments and came up with the following question if anyone can answer it: Why does a cigar box ukulele sound like a ukulele, and a cigar box banjo sound like a banjo?:confused:
This may seem like a really stupid question, but I can't think why they would sound so different. I thought a banjo sounded the way it is due to the skin stretched around the body, but a cigar box banjo sounds pretty much the same. Is it the strings? If so, could I use banjo strings with a ukulele neck to make it sound like a banjolele?

strings, resonation chamber and soundboard...basic elements. strings are going to play a primary role in sound, the other two for volume and variance of tone.

i think its a little simplified, but there ya go. I'm not a luthier though, I'm just a hack.

Banjo-ukes usually use the same type of strings as wooden ukes. I think the large banjo types often use steel strings, which would make a big difference to the sound. Also, there is a very distinctive way in which the banjo is played, lots of rapid picking patterns.

With a cigar box uke, it is best to thin the sound board (often the back of the box, sometimes the front) to around 1/16". This can give the typical wooden uke sound. I've never made a cigar box banjo or mandolin, but would guess the soundboard is left much thicker, which would give it a brighter, less resonant sound.

John Colter.

So basically then, its the strings that make a cb banjo sound like a banjo and a cb uke sound like a uke, because the other factors stay the same (soundboard and chamber). I know that banjos are played differently to ukes (more plucking than strumming) but the I assume the sound that comes out would be distinctivly different even if played the same.
I'm wondering what it would sound like strumming steel banjo strings on a uke neck. I guess the way to find out would to be to go ahead and try it.

Steel strings operate at much higher tension than uke strings. Steel strung guitars and banjos are made specifically to cope with this.

John C.

Heres another question about cigar boxes...

I want to attempt a cigar box ukulele, but I don't don't know what brand of box to get? I don't want to end up with one made of cardboard or something. Any suggestions?

most boxes are good enough for it...whether its the front or back. Even the paper covered boxes are made of decent woods, but if you want one not paper covered then just pick out a nice made box with a thin top or bottom.

Russ Sonny Daze wrote up a post about this here

Heres another question about cigar boxes...

I want to attempt a cigar box ukulele, but I don't don't know what brand of box to get? I don't want to end up with one made of cardboard or something. Any suggestions?

Go to your nearest tobacco shop and see what they've got. You want a thin wooden box without alot of paper covering.

Go to your nearest tobacco shop and see what they've got. You want a thin wooden box without alot of paper covering.

The problem is there is no nearest cigar shop, theres none in town I'm an eight hour boat ride from the nearest other town.

"The problem is there is no nearest cigar shop, theres none in town I'm an eight hour boat ride from the nearest other town. "

Ebay, baby! Great source for good cigar boxes. Just a bit more expensive than a cigar shop.

The tragic thing about eBay is that the shipping is often more than the box. Also, some sellers don't give sizes or pics of all sides. Still, there are plenty of boxes available.

I've got a white wood box full of tea bags from China. I have no clue what kind of wood it is - probably not suitable, but who knows. Maybe I'll use it for my first try.

-- Al

Top Bottom