Kala Cedar Top Tenor pickup hums

plunkinpete

Reaction score
I just got a new Kala Solid Cedar Top tenor. I like the tone accoustically but the Shadow SH JW 1 pickup has a very noticable hum. It stops when I touch the end pin so I'm thinking it could be a grounding issue. Anyone else have this problem? Shadow claims this pickup/preamp is properly shielded and does not hum.

I have a mahogany Kala Ka-te tenor and play it through a Mackie SRM 150 Monitor with built in-DI box. It has the same problem sometimes even through the mic/line levels. It may be the circuit you are plugged into, so change where you are plugged in, or try to replace the battery and see if it helps. You can also mess with the gains and eq to minimize the annoyance. Hope it helps.

hey plunkin,
Sounds like the very common "ground loop" problem. You might need a little luck tracking down the culprit, but things like light-dimmers, refrigerators, mis-wired outlets, radio and tv (rf emissions) are all suspect.

Futz around. turn things off. A relatively cheap DI box has a "ground lift" switch on it that can help eliminate hum. good luck.

Thanks folks. I've tried a new battery but to no avail. I have several electric guitars that I plug into the same system/circuit with no hum, so maybe I'll the DI box approach.

Top Bottom