which one should i get?

Hawai'ian Mex

Reaction score
Sup everyone, im looking to get a cheapie pineapple uke to take to the beach, park, carry in the car etc, but not sure which way to go, i was looking at a Makai pk-55, or the Mahalo u-320p. ive never bought anything from either brand so i was wonder if any of you out there had eny experience with Makai or Mahalo ukes and maybe help me make a better decision, thanx.

I've owned my Mahalo U320P for 10 years, and she kept me playing thru hard times. Just today I rewarded her with a new set of Aquila strings and I've been playing her all day. The Aquilas bring the best out of laminate tops even though my Mahalo was very decent sounding to begin with. Her intonation, and action height were fine the way it came. I've gone thru several sets of Hilo strings because way back they were the only game in town. I would recommend a Mahalo pineapple without hesitation for someone on a tight budget. :shaka:

Mahalo in center before changing to Aquila strings.
P1010168-1.jpg

Sorry, no experience with the Makai.

PS. I owned a cheap Johnson pineapple for about one week
(eBay), sound like it was made from cardboard. The Mahalo, Makala, and Lanikai all seems to be decent values though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom