My First Gig....Well, Kinda...

ritzer012

UU+
Reaction score
So my friend's mom works at a daycare/preschool and over the summer they have a little camp for the little buggers...ages 2-4. Each week is labeled with a theme and this week was Hawaiian week. The last time I was over at my friend's house I had the uke in tow and we had a little sing-along session so her Mom asked me to make an appearance there during Hawaiian Week. So obviously I jumped at the chance and I walked into the little class room yesterday a little nervous but had so much fun. The kids were SO excited to have someone new in their classroom and excited to see the uke. I had my Pineapple Flea with me and they were so interested since they had just eaten pineapple at snack time (to stay with the theme of the week, I was also paid in pineapple, ha)

The teachers had written a song about camp to the tune of Little Grass Shack so I strummed away as the kids sang their lyrics. Then I just kinda picked along and did some strumming while they hula danced for me. They were really proud of it.

The coolest part though was when they brought out their little ukes. That morning they made ukuleles out of cardboard boxes, oaktag and rubber bands. The paint and glue was dry by the time I got there so they took them out and strummed along with me!

The 15-20 minutes flew by and they all thanked me as a class. So I took the opportunity to teach them how to say "Mahalo" :)

It was a really fun experience, just wanted to share :D

Very awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Next time I am teaching Sunday School to the four year olds I will bring my ukulele… should be fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing :) Great story! Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun. ukes+pineapple+hula = smiles

Kids are a tough crowd. Kudos and congrats!

Very awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Next time I am teaching Sunday School to the four year olds I will bring my ukulele… should be fun.

I use my uke with sunday school and regular school kids all the time. I even wrote an original called "o my Jesus saved my soul" set to the tune of old macdonald. If you like I can send you a clip or word doc. the kids loved it.

Very cool. I'll bet if you go back to the school next year, the kids will say, "It's the ukulele guy!" They remember experiences like you gave them. I'm the "turtle" guy down here.

I wonder how many of the little buggers will be bugging Mom & Dad for a Uke in the future. I'm sure that they will not accept anything without a pineapple on it! :music:

It sounds like everyone had a blast. Some excellent work by the teachers too. Hook 'em when their young. They'll be ukers for life. Children that age can be so excited about anything and everything and they are so welcoming to newcomers, hey just like UU. Way to go kids! ;)

Kids are a tough audience though. They see right through bull and you gave them nothing but Aloha Spirit! Way to go! :shaka:
Makes you want more, doesn't it?
Regards,
Ray

Yikes! I would have a tough time playing for a group like that.

Adults? No problemo.

Kids? **shudder**

You are to be commended! :bowdown:

JJ

Excellent! Congratulations. :D
:shaka:

Top Bottom