a uke for grandma

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
so, gather round kids. its story time.
if you dont want to hear a lame story, skip to the links.

so my grandma who lives in kahala is moving to vegas.i had heard she wanted to buy a uke and thought, o hey, ii help make those!
ill give links cuz the pictures are big and im too lazy to size them down. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/kaneohegrown/HPIM0441.jpg http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/kaneohegrown/HPIM0444.jpg http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/kaneohegrown/HPIM0444.jpg
i was also too lazy to take any more pictures. its a pretty basic production model just with super curly wood. i used geared tuners so its easier for her to tune. i also used our trusty laser to engrave the hawaiian islands into the face, so gramms can always remember where home is.

That is sweet. I like the island sketched into it. You have one of the best jobs in world.

Question. When can I show the signature uke pic?

WOW Kahala to Vegas, Obaachan going save plenty money on land tax. Did she get the special present yet? Will she let you take picture of her and da 'ukulele and post um here? Would be awesome to see but can understand camera shyness too. ;)

those are pretty good ukes haha

That is sweet. I like the island sketched into it. You have one of the best jobs in world.

Question. When can I show the signature uke pic?
its being released this sunday. my guess is after sunday.

WOW Kahala to Vegas, Obaachan going save plenty money on land tax. Did she get the special present yet? Will she let you take picture of her and da 'ukulele and post um here? Would be awesome to see but can understand camera shyness too. ;)

im taking it to her friday night. i dont think she wants to be on camera. my mom said she was looking for a martin, but i told my mom to tell her to wait.

Hopefully your grandma listens to your mom. Her memories of martin aren't the same as what you get out of a martin today.
I figured it would be unveiled sunday at uke festival but wanted to make sure.

How much did you make of your grandma's?

Beautiful uke! Nice gesture. I'm sure your grandmother will love it. Does she play or is this for a sentimental reminder of home? What size?

Sweet gesture, and sweet uke! Way more personal than any Martin.

Wanna trade jobs? I'd do yours for free.

im taking it to her friday night. i dont think she wants to be on camera. my mom said she was looking for a martin, but i told my mom to tell her to wait.

A 'ukulele hand made by grandson with personal touches like the laser engraving MUCH more awesome and priceless than any Martin. I know she will LOVE it. :shaka:

Wow. Can I be your grandma too?
o how i wish...

Beautiful uke! Nice gesture. I'm sure your grandmother will love it. Does she play or is this for a sentimental reminder of home? What size?
thanks, she wanted to learn to play, so this will be her first uke. its a normal soprano. it also doubles as a reminder of home, i guess.

i was thinking about getting some laser engraving done. So it wont effect the sound on the sound board?
nope, so long as youre not actually putting a hole in the wood, it'll sound the same. you can laser engrave through the finish, but depending on the lacquer, it may turn a shade of white-ish gray. i lasered the image before spray so the wood itself is actually burnt.

Sweet gesture, and sweet uke! Way more personal than any Martin.

Wanna trade jobs? I'd do yours for free.
its like i always tell paul , i'm good... thanks though

A 'ukulele hand made by grandson with personal touches like the laser engraving MUCH more awesome and priceless than any Martin. I know she will LOVE it. :shaka:
thanks man. i hope so.

Top Bottom