OMG I can't believe this! Pono Ohais!! *shakes fist*

cocohonk

Reaction score
OMG I can't believe this!*shakes fist*

Vahn! I understand your pain now. Well, not exactly, because it's not the same problem, but...

Last night, while changing my strings, I've discovered some kind of breakage on the inside of the side panel on my 7 week old Pono Ohai concert ukulele.

The breakage is right around the waist of the uke (like the waist of the shape 8) on the inside side panel of the uke, and I never noticed it til I took my strings off and took a better look inside the uke. And then I felt it with my fingers, and it's like part of the wood wouldn't bend at the curve inside the uke, so a bit of the surface wood splintered out. It's not a huge defect, and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't decide to take a look inside while there are no strings, but it's definitely a heartbreaking one. Why is it broken?

I've been a supporter of the Pono Ohais, because I still think they do have a wonderful sound and look amazing (and mine, even with this defect, still sound great, but then again, if the damage spreads...) but, argh! Why is it broken? I've no doubt I've taken great care of it in the 7 weeks I've had it, and I've done nothing to it other than playing it. There's no way I could have caused this damage, and not in such a short time, no less.

I've emailed John from Pono on the matter, and he suggested either taking it to the store I bought it, or mailing it to Hawaii to get it fixed. Granted the fix is free, which is really great of Pono, but I'm not sure if the mailing is (and it's about 50 bucks I think from here to Hawaii), and it would mean weeks or even months without a uke.

Anyway, I'll be contacting the local store later today, and I'm crossing my fingers to hope that it all works out. Either way, this definitely has made me a bit wary of this particular line now, and I'm sorry for being unfair, but I mean, I've only had this uke for a few weeks, and it's my first 'real' uke, and this is just a bad situation to experience. In any case, I'll update here, when I have more info and should the situation change.

Anyway. I'm just ranting a bit here, sorry about that, because I'm just sad.
SAD.

Last edited:
That sucks. I wonder if there is an issue with their curing process. It seems odd that more than one new owner on this board would have a similar problem in the past couple of months. Makes you wonder if there are more out there.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that. Those Ohai ukes are gorgeous looking, and it's unfortunate that they seem to have some serious quality control issues.

Hopefully someone will make it right for you, whether it be the dealer or Pono.

At the very least, it sound like their quality control is very lacking. These faults should never leave the factory. I think I'll hold off on any Pono purchase until it improves!
:wtf:

For what it's worth, there's a slight crease on the inside waist of my 50-year-old Regal. You'd never know it from the outside, and the uke still sounds fine.

In that sense, my friend, I will refrain from checking the inside on my 8 weeks old Pono Ohai Tenor, and just appreciate its skin-deep beauty. :p

i have seen those small cracks in the creases is almost every brand of ukulele. I agree its not making for a perfect uke but some of the best Kamakas I've played have had them as well as some martins i've had.

If the shipping is gonna cost you $50, a local luthier might be able to repair it for that.

i have seen those small cracks in the creases is almost every brand of ukulele. I agree its not making for a perfect uke but some of the best Kamakas I've played have had them as well as some martins i've had.

Huh. Thanks for your expertise! I never knew that!

In your opinion, do these types of cracks ever get worse over the years? Granted, the one I have I'd say it's more than just a small one (the surface wood inside splintered out pretty much right across the whole depth of the uke, which makes me uneasy as to whether or not it'll worsen. It's only hard to see it because of the coloring of the wood and the location of it, and before I touched it, I wasn't even entirely sure if it was there. But, it is a pretty big crack splinter, which worries me), but if this is actually quite common in a lot of ukes and isn't a problem that will get worse, I might actually consider keeping it - I really do like this uke quite a bit, if only I didn't see that splintering! I suggest everyone to NOT ever look in their ukes. :D

But anyway, I did get some feedback from my local store, and the guy said he'd replace it if I'd like. WOO! Seriously, is there something in a ukulele that makes people completely awesome? :D He just totally made my day!

But, now, knowing that there's a crack inside my uke, should I keep it or return it for something else??

I would personally return it if I were you. But you can read my review to see why I say that...the crack just makes the decision easier. I also want to say that I have nothing against Pono, in fact I just bought a Mahogany Pono, I'm just not a fan of the Ohai models.

Huh. Thanks for your expertise! I never knew that!

In your opinion, do these types of cracks ever get worse over the years? Granted, the one I have I'd say it's more than just a small one (the surface wood inside splintered out pretty much right across the whole depth of the uke, which makes me uneasy as to whether or not it'll worsen. It's only hard to see it because of the coloring of the wood and the location of it, and before I touched it, I wasn't even entirely sure if it was there. But, it is a pretty big crack splinter, which worries me), but if this is actually quite common in a lot of ukes and isn't a problem that will get worse, I might actually consider keeping it - I really do like this uke quite a bit, if only I didn't see that splintering! I suggest everyone to NOT ever look in their ukes. :D

But anyway, I did get some feedback from my local store, and the guy said he'd replace it if I'd like. WOO! Seriously, is there something in a ukulele that makes people completely awesome? :D He just totally made my day!

But, now, knowing that there's a crack inside my uke, should I keep it or return it for something else??

I do not think that crack will worsen, it's a place that's bent now and doesn't really have lots of tension, I think.

If the Uke is fine for you, I wouldn't replace it. Maybe you just get an even worse Ohai instead :p

but better ask a luthier...

Sucks about the Ohais, they really do have an excellent complex tone, that, while it is a bit quiet, is beautiful. Maybe by the time thier cutaways come out next year all these things will be worked out.

I do love the sound of the ohais, and especially, I adore the woodgrains of mine! I can't decide what to do. I an thankful that I do have options, thanks to the store people here and Pono's warranty, but I can't decide what to do.

Three things I can do:

1. Keep it, try and not be too self conscious about defect, and trust the expert opinions here that the crack won't get worse over time. No cost or time spent, though I'd know there's a crack inside that might worsen over time.

2. Thank the local store people for being so nice again, and get it replaced with another ohai (if it's in stock, and if not, replace with a Kala brand - they only have a few brands and models available at the store). No cost, a little time spent, but I'd be giving up a uke that I do like and either get a better or worse uke.

2. Keep it, but get it fixed through Pono, who did offer to fix it for free, but there'd be an additional shipping cost as well as a bit of patience while I wait for it to be fixed. It'll be about a month, I'd say, given the distance. There's a at least 50$ cost, a lot of time spent, but after repairs it will be the same uke without that darn crack.

I can't decide!!

Problem with Ohai???

Have heard problems with Pono Ohai ukes but not with other Pono's. Could be problem with that type of wood. Perhaps send it back to Pono and get a mahgony uke instead, these seem to be pretty good with almost no problems.

I would check the store and see if they have one in stock that looks and sounds as good or better than the one you have. Replace if yes, but bring a small light to look in hole for a crack in the new 'ukulele, who knows they may all have cracks in that area, may be the nature of the beast (Ohai wood). If they don't have a decent one to trade, and you love your 'ukulele otherwise, then keep what you got and be happy. I have a crack in a certain body part but I got used to it over the years. :D

[...]
but better ask a luthier...
IMO, this is the best advice you've been given so far. Many of the rest of us would just be guessing and hoping when we offered opinions.

Ribs (the side bits) are often bent using heat. I think some builders also use steam. The process looks a bit of an acquired skill to me. If it were my uke I'd be asking in the luthier/builder forums of UU and also on mandolin and guitar sites. Luthier forums have a wealth of expertise.

It may turn out to be no problem, but I'd want to hear that from an expert.

Good luck with it. :shaka:

Yeah, definitely ask a luthier. If it compromises the structural integrity, it's covered in most warranties and you can expect to return it without a hitch. If it's just a little messy bit inside that won't spread or worsen, then you probably don't need to worry at all. If it bugs you, you could probably reach into the soundhole with some sandpaper and smooth out the jagged edge just a bit. I hope it's nothing, and according to MGM, it very well could be nothing. Still worth an expert's opinion.

LISTEN! send it to get it fixed, Pono is a good company and they'll probably look the thing over and give you a whole new one, if it's that wrought with problems. you wanna play it or not? I got the tenor and it's immaculate. just send it away you'll be glad you did.

Top Bottom