Finally getting good enough to play the stuff I want to play!

bicarbon8

Reaction score
Sorry to post such a useless thread, but I'm just so excited that I had to say something.

Today I tried playing "Lie in our Graves" by Dave Matthews and it actually sounded right!!! I'm super-excited because many years ago I tried guitar (for approx. 1 month) in the hopes of playing this song but eventually gave up when I realized my hands were too small to hold the proper strings.

Now it's been about 10 years since I gave up on guitar and about 2 years since I started playing the Uke (though admittedly I didn't really start playing until several months ago) and I'm finally able to play that song to my liking...

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thank you to this site for being such a great learning resource!!!

Yay, I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine how it feels but hopefully one day I will! :D

I picked up my guitar today after not touching it for a month because the uke was in the way. It felt huge!!! I couldn't get wait to get back to my baby.

I'm still having trouble with timing but I can see improvement every day. This was not a usueless post because it reminded me of how I connect with my ukulele so much more than I connected with the guitar. Most of the songs I play on the guitar come from my head. The songs I play on the uke come from the heart. ;)

i know how you feel buddy.. my whole goal was to be able to play Bob Marley and now I can :)

feels good to accomplish a goal doesn't it?

That is an awesome feeling, and one that never goes away. Hopefully you will keep playing, keep getting better, and keep raising the bar on your expectations of yourself. It felt great being able to get through some strumming songs, then to some fingerpicking, and now it feels awesome to me to get through Gently Weeps, Dom's arrangement of Something, and other chord melodies.

Congratulations!

Thanks everyone for your responses and further encouragement! I look forward to many many years of Uke-inspired fun and Jammin'!

Awesome

Yes, I have been learning the guitar on my on and it gets disappointing at times and then all of a sudden a song comes out pretty good and when that does I get reenergized to continue playing and practicing. Keep up the good work!!!!!:)

That's sick man, I'd love to hear your Lie In Our Graves. Do you play any other DMB tunes uke style?

That's sick man, I'd love to hear your Lie In Our Graves. Do you play any other DMB tunes uke style?
maybe once I can get my timing to hold steady while I sing I'll record a video of it. I haven't tried any other DMB songs yet, but there are a TON that I'd love to do.

So far I have pretty limited song knowledge and only play "Under the Boardwalk", "Three Little Birds", "No Woman No Cry" (which apparently has the same chord progression as many-many other songs), and "Swingin' on a Star". I'm capable of playing some other songs as long as I have the chord sheet and lyrics in front of me, but I can never remember them on my own (for example "Turn Your Lights Down Low" lyrics always elude me when I'm playing).

here's a quick sample of the notes I'm playing:
Code:
   D       A Bm        Em      A
A|-0--0-0--0-3--3-3-x--2--2-2--0----0--0-0--
E|-2--2-2--0-3--3-3-x--3--3-3--0----0--0-0--
C|-2--2-2--1-3--3-3-x--4--4-4--1----1--1-1--
g|-2--2-2--2-5--5-5-x--0--0-0--2----2--2-2--
   \  \ /  \ \  \ / \  \  \ /  \    \  / \
I play the above for the first verse and then I switch my D from (2220) to (2225) and I play G instead of the Em for the 2nd verse. Then the bridge which I play D and Am and then back to the above for the next verse and so on.

Top Bottom