Help? Did I get the wrong strings?

pamelamama

Reaction score
Help? Did I get the wrong strings? *answered, thanks!*

Please help a brand new uke player!

I ordered some Pro Arte Concert uke strings for my Oscar Schmidt OU-3. They arrived today, and they seem wrong to me. The front looks right, it says J29, clear nylon, uke strings, etc.

But inside the package there are four little folders that say "Classical Guitar" on them. And when I expected them to be labled A, C, E, G, they are B, G, E and E.

So these are wrong, right?

I already removed all my original strings and I am now paralyzed by ignorance.

HELP!

and THANKS!

Last edited:
No you didnt get the wrong strings. Them strings are designed for Guitar but works fine on the uke too.. there should be a peice of paper that tells you which strings to use for the standard gcea tuning

they should have string thickness like on each package like .28, .29.. etc

Whew. There's no paper explaining that, but there is a little chart that tells the proper diameter of each uke string, and that's listed on the folders, so I can take it from there.

Freakout over!

Thanks so much, I think I should have posted this in the "beginner" forum, eh?

Ah, thanks! I promise I did search before I posted. :eek:

No worries, I believe you. I knew this thread was out there and it took me 10 minutes to find it. Seaching "Pro Arte" produced a a bunch of hits...go figure:)

i thought the same thing when i first tried to change my strings!

Thanks, that makes me feel like less of a dork! :)

I am proud to say that all strings have been re-strung and I was brave enough to snip off the tail ends.

My friend wanted to make a trip to target tonight so I walked through the aisles tuning and re-tuning and plinking around. It is *so* much fun to play uke in public. Everyone smiles and sort of starts to follow you around with their eyes. Spreading happiness! Or everyone's laughing at me, but whatever, I'll take it either way.

They sound better than the old strings that's for sure! But a funny thing, now my clip on digital tuner has started to vibrate with the strings and make a buzz. Isn't that odd?

The strings are sounding really lovely today -- and I opened up the tuner and glued down some rattle-y electronics. Hooray! Now... what will I learn to play?

There are two silly ukulele stories in my blog today, link in my sig.

If the tuner is an Intelli 500 or 900 then they're famous for the rattling buttons! I could never be bothered to fix mine. I don't leave the tuner on when I play any more.

Top Bottom