Help me find my first real uke!

vcowman

Reaction score
:D

I just started playing a couple of weeks ago and have a cheap tourist uke $15 i got offa ebay.

I just know a couple chords and would like to expand my knowledge and skill. Please recommend a good uke I can do so on. My budget is up to $200. I would like to get a kamaka as I will be HI in a couple weeks, but I dont think thats happening!

I am thinking from what MGM told me to go with a concert OHANA CKP-70 vita uke, or a Kala or a Koa Pili Koko.

I think I might want a tenor if its easier to play. Please offer your input and if you know any cool uke related spots where I can get a good deal on uke or try a bucha em out do share :) thank;)

If you're going to Hawaii - I would recommend checking out some of the different shops around the island and trying out the different types that are available. You just might find that a different size might be more suitable or pleasant sounding. Nothing beats physically trying and listening to the differences in person.

You might also want to check out Aloha Flea Market at Aloha Stadium (Sat, Sun & Wed) to check out what they have available there. I bought a Zebrawood Leolani Tenor there under $150 (with case), but I quickly outgrew it and handed it off to my son. Now I'm rockin' a Koa Koaloha Tenor thanks to Musicguymic!

Thanks for the recommendation, GOD a $900 UKE! You must love it :D

I have an OHANA CKP-70 vita uke, which is technically soprano scale, but the body size is closer to concert, so it projects and sounds a little more like a concert. Or, at least this is what I have read about these, this is my only uke so far.

I like this uke a lot, but if you are going to Hawaii nothing can beat trying out a lot of different ukes. Try them all. Even if you cannot afford the higher end price range try them to see the difference, and see what you might want later when you can afford to spend more.

Top Bottom